Howard T Wang, M.D.
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency Program Director
Dr. Howard Wang specializes in blepharoplasty, brow lift, rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, body contouring, abdominoplasty, thigh lift, liposuction as well as fillers and Botox®. He went to college at Cornell University and medical school at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He then went on to do a general surgery residency at the University of Rochester and a plastic surgery residency at Duke University. Dr. Wang's interest lies both in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Wang was born in Taipei, Taiwan, the Republic of China. He emigrated to the United States when he was five. Early on, Dr. Wang had an interest in the health professions, but was also keenly interested in art.
- 2005 - Residency - Plastic Surgery - Duke University Medical Center
- 2003 - Residency - Rotation in Hand Surgery (6 Months) - Kleinert, Kutz, and Associates
- 2002 - Residency - General Surgery - University of Rochester School of Medicine
- 1999 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Research - University of Rochester School of Medicine
- 1997 - Residency - General Surgery - University of Rochester School of Medicine
- 1996 - Internship - General Surgery - University of Rochester School of Medicine
- 1995 - MD - Medicine - The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 1991 - BA - Biology (with Distinction in all Subjects) - Cornell University
- 9/2017 - Professor Plastic Surgery and Chief Division of Plastic Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Surgery, San Antonio
- 9/2017 - Professor Otolaryngology and Chief Division of Plastic Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Surgery, San Antonio
- 9/2017 - Professor/Clinical and Joint Graduate Program in Biomedical Engineering - University of Texas Health Science Center San AntonioSan Antonio
- 12/2011 - Associated Faculty and Cross Appointment in UTSA/UTHSCSA Joint Graduate Program in Biomedical Engineering - University of Texas Health Science Center at San AntonioSan Antonio
- 6/2011 - Medical Director for Plastic Surgery Clinics - Medical Arts Research Center, Surgery, San Antonio
- 9/2010 - Associate Professor of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Surgery, San Antonio
- 9/2010 - Associate Professor of Otolaryngology and Cross Appointment in Department of Otolaryngology - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, San Antonio
- 1/2010 - Chief, Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and Faculty Physician - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Surgery, San Antonio
- 5/2007 - Program Director of Plastic Surgery Residency - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Surgery, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 7/2016 - Present, Individual Instruction, University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2014 - Present, Post-Doctoral Student Supervision, UTHSCSA
- 8/2005 - Present, Individual Instruction, UT Medicine San Antonio
Research & Grants
Funding Agency Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation Title Breast Reconstruction Charitable Care Grant Status Active Period 7/2017 - 7/2019 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail PSEF Extended the Grant for an additional year
Karamanos, E; Walker, R; M; Wang, H, Shah, A. Peri – Operative Fluid Resuscitation in Free Flap Breast Reconstruction: When Enough is Enough? Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2020; 8(3). E2662.MarchPMID 32537330
Karamanos, E; Kandagatla, P; Wang, H; Gupta, AH; Siddiqui,.A Challenging the Surgical Axiom: Albumin Does Not Reliably Predict the Development of Wound Complications in Patients Undergoing Body Contouring.PMID 32097112
Saad NH, Wang H, Karamanos Tissue Oximetry Readings Accurately Predict Late Complications in Patients Undergoing Free Flap Breast Reconstruction: Exploring the Optimal Cut Point PMID 32408366
Ghosh, S., Ashcraft, K., Jahid, M. J., April, C., Ghajar, C. M., Ruan, J., Wang, H., Foster, M., Hughes, D. C., Ramirez, A. G., Huang, T., Fan, J. B., Hu, Y. & Li, R. Regulation of adipose oestrogen output by mechanical stress. Nat. Commun. 4:1821. doi: 10.1038/ncomms2794 (2013). PMID: 23652009; PMCID: PMC392162
Ghosh, S., Gu, F., Wang, C. M., Lin, C. L., Liu, J., Wang, H., Ravdin, P., Hu, Y., Huang, T. H. & Li, R. Genome-wide DNA methylation profiling reveals parity-associated hypermethylation of FOXA1. Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 147, 653-659 (2014). PMID: 25234841; PMCID: PMC4181377
Ghosh, S., Kang, T., Wang, H., Hu, Y. & Li, R. Mechanical phenotype is important for stromal aromatase expression. Steroids 76(8):797-801 (2011). PMID:21377485; PMCID:PMC3114299
Luce EA, Wang HT. The Plastic Surgery Education Network: Appreciating Its Potential for Resident Training; 2016 Jun. (Plast Reconstr Surg Global Open; vol. 4, no. 6S2). Hosein RC, Cornejo A, Steigelman M, Hogan FS, Crane C, Michalek JE, Jatoi I, Wang HT. Satisfaction with aesthetic outcomes in Hispanic vs. Caucasian women following breast conserving therapy for primary breast cancer; 2014 Sep. (Texas Society of Plastic Surgeon).
Wang HT. Pharmacology and Therapeutic 2018 Jan. Wang HT. Pharmacology and Therapeutics: 2017 Jan. Wang HT. Pharmacology and therapeutics 2016 Jan. Wang HT. Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2015 Jan.
Willis RE1, Wiersch J, Adams AJ, Al Fayyadh MJ, Weber RA, Wang HT. Development and Evaluations of a Simulation Model for Microvascular Anastomosis Training Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 2017 Sep;33(7):493-501. Zhang X, Chiang HC, Wang Y, Zhang C, Smith S, Zhao X, Nair SJ, Michalek J, Jatoi I, Lautner M, Oliver B, Wang H, Petit A, Soler T, Brunet J, Mateo F, Angel Pujana M, Poggi E, Chaldekas K, Isaacs C, Peshkin BN, Ochoa O, Chedin F, Theoharis C, Sun LZ, Curiel TJ, Elledge R, Jin VX, Hu Y, Li R.
. Attenuation of RNA polymerase II pausing mitigates BRCA1 aaociated R-Loop accumulaton and tumorigenesis J ReconstrMicrosurg 2017 Jun;8(15908). Hosein, RC, Cornejo, A, Wang, HT. Postoperative monitoring of free flap reconstruction: a comparison of external Doppler ultrasonography and the implantable Doppler probe Plast Surg (OAKV) 2016 Jan;24(1):11-19. Orbay H, Busse BK, Stevenson TR, Wang HT, Sahar, DE. Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap Breast Reconstruction without Microsurgery Fellowship Training Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2015 Aug;3(7):e455-e461. Sagar Ghosh, Fei Gu, Chou-Min Wang, Chun-Lin Lin, Joseph Liu, Howard Wang, Peter Ravdin, Yanfen Hu, Tim H.M. Haung, Rong Li. Gernome-wide DNA methylation profiling reveals parity-associated hypermethylation of FOXA1q Breast Cancer Res Treat 2014 Sep;147:653-659. Chen A,Ver Halen J, Basu CB, Khan S, Wang H, and Jeffers L,. Young Plastic Surgeons Forum member survey: Part 1. Investing in the future: attitudes towards the Plastic Surgery Foundation Plast Reconstr Surg 2014 Aug;134(2):343-350. Shah AR, Cornejo A, Guda T, Sahar DE, Stephenson SM, Chang S, Krishnegowda NK, Sharma R, Wang HT. Differentiated adipose-derived stem cell cocultures for bone regeneration in polymer scaffolds in vivo J Craniofac Surg 2014 Jul;25(4):1504-1509. Cornejo A, Sahar DE, Stephenson SM, Chang S, Nguyen S, Guda T, Wenke JC, Vasquez, A, Michalek JE, Sharma R, Krishnegowda NK, Wang HT. Effect of Adipose Tissue-Derived Osteogenic and Endothelial Cells on Bone Allograft Osteogenesis and Vascularization in Critical-Sized Calvarial Defects Tissue Eng Part A 2012 May;18(15-16):1-10.
Chiang, Huai- Chin; Zhang, Xiaowen; Li, Jingwei; Zhao, Xiayan; Chen, Jerry; Wang, Howard; Jatoi, Ismail; Brenner, Andrew; Hu, Yanfen; Li, Rong. BRCA1 Associated R-Loop Affects Transcription and Differentiation in Breast Luminal Epithelial Cells Nucleic Acids Resarch 2018 Jan;NAR(02736). Willis RE,Wiersch J,Adams AJ,Al Fayyadh MJ, Weber RA, Wang HT,. Development and Evaluation of a Simulation Model for Microvascular Anastomosis Training Reconstructive Microsurgery 2017 Sep;33:493-501.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery