Departments & Divisions
Emily S. Wang, MD
Associate Professor / Clinical
Emily S. Wang is an Associate Professor / Clinical at UT Health San Antonio in the Division of General and Hospital Medicine and South Texas Veteran Affairs Health Care System. Dr. Wang began her career at University of Texas Health San Antonio in Division of General Medicine in July 2008 after five years in private practice. She received her M.D. from University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio in 2000. Dr. Wang became the Director of Inpatient Medicine Consultation and Pre-operative Clinic at South Texas Veterans Health Care System in 2010. Her current educational / research interests are (1) medicine consult / co-management (2) transitions of care with internal medicine as a “triagist” and patient flow specialist.
- 2003 - Residency - Internal Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2000 - MD - Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1996 - BA - Molecular Cell Biology - University of California at Berkeley
- 9/2015 - Clinical Associate Professsor - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 7/2008 - Staff Physician - South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 7/2013 - Present, MEDICINE- BEHAVIOR AND SOCIETY LONGITUDINAL MODULE, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2013 - Present, Hematology, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2013 - Present, Renal Male Reproductive, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2013 - Present, Circulation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2013 - Present, Molecules to Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2013 - Present, Attack and Defense, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2012 - Present, Respiratory Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2009 - Present, Internal Medicine Housestaff Lecture Series, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 7/2008 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, Audie Murphy VA Hospital
- 7/2008 - Present, Medicine Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2008 - Present, General Medicine Ward/Subinternship UH/VA, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
Funding Agency Kenneth I Shine Academy Title Kenneth I Shine Academy Grant Status Active Period 12/2017 - 12/2018 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail Contributor, Small Grant submission to the University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine Academy, proposal entitled, ?Are your learners ready to hold the admissions pager,? $5000 Funding Agency Alliance of Academic Internal Medicine Title Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine iGrants Innovation Center Status Active Period 3/2017 - 2/2018 Role Principal Investigator Grant Detail "Are your learners ready to hold the admission pager?" - Building a resident curriculum for triage and disposition-making. This is a multi-institutional collaborative grant project to create a curriculum for IM faculty to direct IM resident learners regarding triaging patients for inpatient admission. The curriculum has three objectives and the grant funding will focus on the objective of inter-professional education - a creation of an e-module with faculty guide.
Statistics: 74 LOI reviewed by AAIM Subcommittee, 43 invited to submit full proposal, 37 full proposals reviewed, 13 grants awarded
Wang ES, Moreland C, Shoffeitt M, Simon B, Leykum LK. "Who Consults Us and Why?": A Multi-Institutional Evaluation of the Medicine Consult/Co-Management Service; 2016 Nov. (Journal of Hospital Medicine; vol. 11, no. S1). Shoffeitt M, Moreland C, Wang ES, Simon B, Leykum LK. How is Your Medicine Consult/Co-Management Service Organized?: A Multi-Institutional Survey; 2016 Nov. (Journal of Hospital Medicine; vol. 11, no. S1).
Conde MV, Wang ES, Henderson MC. Dizziness. In: Henderson MC, Tierney LM, Smetana GW. The Patient History: Evidence Based Approach Second Edition. 2012.
Wang ES, Trammell Velasquez SA, Schmit DR, Smith Christopher, Matthias Tabatha, Hsu Sherwin. "Are Your Learners Ready to Hold the Admission Pager?" - Hospital Triage Communication Philadelphia, PA: Society of Hospital Medicine; 2018 Jan. Moreland CJ, Wang ES, Shoffeitt M, Leykum LK. The Education of Residents as Perioperative and General Medicine Consultants 2015 Jun. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/icollaborative/resource/4018 .
Trammell Velasquez SA, Wang ES, White, Andrew A, Chadha, Jagriti, Mader, Michael, Leykum LK, Pugh JA. Hospitalist as Triagist: Description of the Triages Role across Academic Medical Centers Journal of Hospital Medicine 2019 Oct;. Wang ES, Trammell Velasquez SA, Smith, CJ, Matthias, T, Schmit DR, Hsu SS, Leykum LK. Triaging Inpatient Admissions: An Opportunity for Resident Education Journal of General Internal Medicine 2019 May;34(5):754-757. Wang ES, Moreland CJ, Shoffeitt M, Leykum LK. Who Consults Us and Why? An Evaluation of Medicine Consult/Co-Management Services at Academic Medical Centers Journal of Hospital Medicine 2018 Dec;13(12):840-843. Wang ES. Capsule Commentary on Garland et al., Randomized Controlled Trial of Brief Mindfulness Training and Hypnotic Suggestion for Acute Pain Relief in Hospital Setting Journal of General Internal Medicine 2017 Oct;32(10). Craig CM, Basman C, Wang ES, Shoffeitt M, MacKenzie CR. Perioperative Risk Models: A Narrative Review Journal of Clinical Anesthesia and Management 2016 Jun;1(4):1-11. Wang ES, Conde MV, Simon B, Leykum LK. Exploring End-of-Residency Transitions in a VA Patient Aligned Care Team Journal of General Internal Medicine 2014 Apr;29(2):649-658.
Schmit DR, Wang ES, Trammell Velasquez SA, Ho TT. In the Literature: Physician Reviews of HM-Relevant Research The Hospitalist 2019 Apr;.
- American Board of Internal Medicine