Gopalrao VN Velagaleti, Ph.D.
Dr. Velagaleti is board certified in Clinical Cytogenetics by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics and specializes in both constitutional and acquired conditions. In addition to his clinical service, he is actively involved in teaching and clinical research; professionally published in the field of clinical cytogenetics and molecular cytogenetics. Dr. Velagaleti is also a recipient of several teaching awards. Currently, Dr. Velagaleti serves as a board member representing clinical cytogenetics for the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics and is the Vice-Chair of the Continuing Certification Program of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics.
Dr. Velagaleti earned his Bachelors in Science in Zoology in 1979 from Andhra University and Masters in Science in Genetics in 1982 from Mysore University in India. He completed his PhD in Genetics from Bangalore University in India in 1990. Dr. Velagaleti is the recipient of the prestigious Indo-German Exchange Award (DAAD fellowship), performed his post-doctoral work in the Institute of Human Genetics in the University of Gottingen in Germany, and spent 3 years learning and mastering molecular cytogenetics techniques. He then came to the United States to do a clinical fellowship in Clinical Cytogenetics at H.A. Chapman Institute of Medical Genetics in Tulsa, OK in 1992. After achieving the board certification, he joined as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Director of Cytogenetics at University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston in 1998. He later joined the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN as one of the Co-Directors of the Cytogenetics Laboratory and Professor in Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Medical Genetics in 2007. He came to UT Health in 2009 as Director of the Clinical and Molecular Cytogenetics Laboratory and Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine with joint appointment in the Departments of Pediatrics and Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
- 2003 - Postdoctoral Training - Business Administration - The Executive Healthcare Training Institute
- 1994 - Clinical Fellowship - Clinical Cytogenetics - H.A. Chapman Institute for Medical Genetics
- 1992 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Genetics - University of Goettingen, Institute for Human Genetics
- 1989 - PhD - Genetics - Bangalore University
- 1982 - MS - Genetics - Mysore University
- 1979 - BS - Zoology - Andhra University
- 10/2010 - Professor - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, San Antonio
- 9/2010 - Professor - Univeristy of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pediatrics, San Antonio
- 12/2009 - Professor - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pathology, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 1/2010 - Present, Pathology Resident's Lectures