For administrative calls, please contact:
- Samantha L Gonzalez-Davis
Departments & Divisions
Laura P Vasquez, PhD, MS, RVT, RT, MRSO
I proudly serve as the Associate Director of the Bachelor of Science in Medical Sciences Program in the School of Health Professions at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. My inquisition for the medical sciences paved my way to becoming a multi-credentialed professional in medical imaging by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography in Vascular Ultrasound and by the American Registry of Radiological Technologists in Radiography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). I earned my bachelor’s degree in vascular ultrasound, master’s degree in perfusion technology and doctorate in health sciences at Rush University in Chicago, IL. My dissertation research study was in the “Evaluation of MRI Issues for a Wirelessly Powered Freedom-8a Stimulator with Freedom Receiver Used for Spinal Cord Stimulation” resulting in publications associated with MRI safety assessment of implants and devices.
My specialties include medical imaging sciences curriculum design, protocol development & modification, and MRI safety associated with medical implants. I serve in advisory and consulting roles to government, industry, and policy-making organizations. I served as the SMRT Safety Committee Chair (2020-2021) for the Society for MR Radiographers and Technologists, A Section of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. My collegial purposes include; nurturing the spirit of scholarship, empowering competence, and, improvement of recruitment & retention practices for underrepresented groups in the health care sciences. As a medical imaging professional, educator, administrator and researcher, I support experiential growth and learning while honoring diversity. I believe that education is life changing. Every day is different, and we learn something new every day.
- 2018 - Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy - Health Sciences - Rush University
- 2008 - M.S., Master of Sciences - Health Sciences, Perfusion Technology - Rush University
- 2004 - B.S., Bachelor of Science - Health Sciences, Vascular Ultrasound - Rush University
- 1999 - Associates degree in Applied Sciences - Magnetic Resonance Imaging - Wilbur Wright College
- 1994 - Associates degree in Applied Sciences - Diagnostic Imaging - Wilbur Wright College
- 1/10/2021 - Assistant Professor - UT Health San Antonio
- Claustrophobia, Anxiety & Emotional Distress in the MRI Environment. MRI Bioeffects, Safety, and Patient Management, 2ndEd. 2022
- Cardiopulmonary Imaging/Chapter 11. Respiratory Care: Patient Assessment & Care Plan Development. Ed. Shelledy, DC. 2nd Ed 2021
- The Impact of Case- Based e-Learning Pedagogy on Critical Thinking in Imaging Science Students: A Multi-institutional Study.
- MRI Evaluation of a New Atrial-Only Anchored, Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement (TMVR) Implant.
- • February 2020 Vasquez LV. Evaluation of MRI Issues for a Wirelessly Powered Spinal Cord Stimulation Device. American Journal
- 2018 - Magnetic Resonance Safety Officer, American Board of Magnetic Resonance Safety
- 2005 - Registered Vascular Technologist, American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- 1993 - American Registry of Radiologic Technologist
- 1993 - Licensed Radiological Technologist, Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, IEMA