Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Josephine A Taverna, M.D.
Dr. Josephine Taverna is a faculty member in the division of hematology and oncology. She graduated from Yale in 1999 with a major in Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry and received her medical degree from Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 2004. Dr. Taverna completed her Hematology-Oncology & Cancer Prevention fellowships at the University of Arizona in 2015. In 2017, she graduated from the Advanced Drug Development fellowship at UT Health Science Center at San Antonio. She completed a NIH/Lilly externship in February 2018 where she collaborated with the Pharmacometrics team at Lilly and helped to develop a quantitative systems pharmacology mathematical model to aid in therapeutic discovery. Dr. Taverna is a physician-scientist and serves as co-leader for the Phase I Thoracic Oncology program. During her protected research time, she works under the mentorship of Dr. Tim Huang, a prominent researcher who has pioneered next-generation sequencing for integrative analysis of cancer genomes. One of her long-term research goals is to study the effects of the targeted therapy on epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition to prevent metastatic tumor spread in lung cancer patients. Dr. Taverna is deeply committed to her research in early drug discovery.
Taverna JA, Yun S, Jonnadula J, Saleh A, Riaz IB, Abraham I, Yeager AM, Persky DO, McBride A, Haldar S, Anwer F. Role of Maintenance Therapy after High-Dose Chemotherapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation in Aggressive Lymphomas: A Systematic Review. Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2016; 22(7):1182-96.
López AM, Pruthi S, Boughey JC, Perloff M, Hsu CH, Lang JE, Ley M, Frank D, Taverna JA, Chow HH. Double-blind, Randomized Trial of Different Letrozole Regimens in Postmenopausal Women with Increased Breast Cancer Risk – Effects on Estrogen Suppression and Associated Side Effects. Cancer Prev Res. Dec 14 2015.
Meyers JA, Taverna JA, Chaves J, Makkinje A, Lerner A. Phosphodiestease 4 Inhibitors Augment Levels of Glucocorticoid Receptor in B Cell Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia but Not in Normal Circulating Hematopoietic Cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:4920-4927.
- 2017 - Clinical Fellowship - Medicine - Mays Cancer Center, UT Health San Antonio,MD Anderson
- 2015 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Medicine - University of Arizona
- 2015 - Clinical Fellowship - Medicine - University of Arizona
- 2011 - Residency - Medicine - Akron General Medical Center
- 2007 - Clinical Fellowship - Research Fellow - Boston University Medical Center
- 2005 - Residency - Medicine - Boston University Medical Center
- 2004 - MD - Medicine - Mount Sinai, School of Medicine
- 1999 - BMS - Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry - Yale University
Research & Grants
Funding Agency Greater Plains Collaborative, GPC Clinical Data Research Network Title Prognostic factors and survival outcomes of patients with advanced hematologic malignancies enrolled in phase 1 clinical trials. Status Active Period 9/2017 - 8/2018 Role Principal Investigator Grant Detail
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Medical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Hematology