Chandan Takkar, MD, FACP, FASN
Associate Professor, Internal Medicine
Director of Dialysis Services, UHS
Dr. Takkar is a highly skilled nephrologist, with special expertise and interest in the management of patients with Chronic Kidney Disease and End Stage Renal Disease. She is passionate about improving quality of care and quality of life in her patients with chronic illnesses, through a patient-centered, multi-disciplinary approach. A strong believer in lifestyle interventions for prevention and alleviation of the burden of chronic illnesses, she believes that compassion, empathy and evidence based medicine form the three pillars of good patient care. She has won several accolades for her holistic approach to patient care.
In her spare time, she likes to cook, spend time outdoors, and travel with her family.
- 2004 - BM BS - Medicine - Government Medical College
- Residency - Medicine - University of Texas Medical Branch
- Clinical Fellowship - Nephrology and Hypertension - University of Texas Medical Branch
- Internship - Medicine - Government Medical College
- 9/2019 - Associate Professor - UT Health San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 4/2019 - Associate/ Clinical chief and Other - UT Health San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 7/2018 - Medical Director for UT Renal Clinics - UT Health San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 1/2018 - Director of Dialysis Services - UT Health San Antonio, Internal Medicine, Nephrology, SAN ANTONIO
- 7/2016 - Quality Improvement Champion - UT Health San Antonio, Medicine, SAN ANTONIO
Instruction & Training
- 2/2015 - Present, Care of the renal transplant patient: Internal Medicine Bootcamp, UT Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
- 8/2013 - Present, House staff teaching- Lectures, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
- 8/2012 - Present, Pocket Nephron, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Takkar C, Gamilla A.K, Kadambi P.V. Ganciclovir Resistant Cytomegalovirus in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients: An Update J Transplant Technol Res S6 2013 May;:1-3. Takkar C, Hudali T. Hypocalcemia and hyperkalemia during magnesium infusion therapy in a pre-eclamptic patient Clinical Case reports 2001 Feb;.
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Nephrology
- American Board of Internal Medicine