Carolina Solis-Herrera, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Medical Arts and Research Center (MARC)
Dr. Solis-Herrera is a Physician-Scientist and Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology, at the University of Texas Health at San Antonio (UTHSA). She is also an active collaborator of the Division of Diabetes. Additionally, she serves as the Medical Director at the Diabetes and Endocrinology Clinics in the Medical Arts and Research Center (MARC).
After completing her training in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and an Advanced Diplomate in Nutrition and Obesity in Mexico, where she continues to be board certified; Dr. Solis completed a 4-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Diabetes and Metabolism Research at UTHSA under the mentorship of Dr. Ralph DeFronzo. During this time, she acquired highly advanced skills in multiple research techniques, including assessment of beta-cell function with different insulin clamp techniques, insulin sensitivity, measurement of endogenous glucose production, indirect calorimetry, PET/radioactive tracers, MRI/MRS and assessment of myocardial fuel metabolism among others.
Later, she re-trained in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology at UTHSA and is board certified on both. During this time, she continued to pursue her passion in Translational and Clinical Research in Diabetes and Metabolism, where she has secured significant Grant Funding. Dr Solis-Herrera is also a Voelcker Scholar and is well published in highly-esteemed peer-reviewed journals.
Her areas of interest include Pathogenesis of Diabetes, Mechanisms of Action of novel anti-diabetic drugs and Cardiometabolic Endocrinology. Dr. Solis-Herrera is passionate about education and service and has a Diabetes Teaching Clinic at the MARC. She supervises Clinical and Research Fellows, Residents and Graduate Students.
She is actively involved with multiple local, national and international associations and is an active member of AACE, ADA and EASD. She also serves as Associate Editor of Diabetes Spectrum and is a member of the JDRF National Grant Review Committee.
- 2015 - Residency - Internal Medicine (Fast track 2 year residency- Granted by American Board of Internal Medicine) - UTHSCSA
- 2013 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Diabetes Research - UTHSCSA
- 2009 - Clinical Fellowship - Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism (Chief Fellow) - Hospital General de Mexico
- 2009 - DPL - Nutrition - Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI
- 2007 - Residency - Internal Medicine (Graduated with Honors) - Hospital General del Estado de Sonora
- 2003 - MD - Unversidad Autonoma de Baja California
- 2003 - Clinical Fellowship - Endocrinology - UTHSCSA
- 10/2017 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 02/2019 - Medical Director- Diabetes Clinic - Medical Arts and Research Center (MARC)
Instruction & Training
- 1/2019 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, UTHSCSA
- 9/2018 - Present, Diabetes Lecture Series for Endocrinology Fellows, UTHSCSA
- 7/2018 - Present, Diabetes Lecture Series for Graduate Students, UTHSCSA
- 10/2017 - Present, Individual Instruction, UTHSCSA
- 9/2017 - Present, CIRC Endocrinology and Reproduction Course for Medical Students, UTHSCSA
- 1/2016 - Present, Post-Doctoral Student Supervision, UTHSCSA