Departments & Divisions
William Francis Rose, Jr., D.D.S.
William F. Rose, Jr., D.D.S., serves as director of the Predoctoral Division and Group Leader of one of eight General Practice Groups in the Department of Comprehensive Dentistry at UT Health San Antonio. He is the former director of the Advanced Education in General Dentistry program. Dr. Rose also maintains a private practice in the Faculty Practice Clinic at the Dental School.
He is a Diplomate of the Federal Services Board of General Dentistry and is also Certified by the American Board of General Dentistry. He is a Master in the Academy of General Dentistry and recently received their highest recognition, the Lifelong Learning and Service Recognition award. He is a member of the Academy of Operative Dentistry and serves on the editorial board for the journal Operative Dentistry. He is also a member of the American Dental Education Association, the American Dental Association, the Texas Dental Association, the San Antonio District Dental Society, Omikron Kappa Upsilon (past president Mu Nu local chapter), and is a Fellow in the American College of Dentists.
Dr. Rose received his B.S. degree from the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York and his D.D.S. degree from Indiana University School of Dentistry. His post-graduate education includes a one-year GPR program at Letterman Army Medical Center at the Presidio of San Francisco, California and a two-year AEGD program at the US Army Dental Activity at Fort Knox, Kentucky. Prior to joining the faculty at the Dental School, his positions included Chief of Staff for the U.S. Army Dental Command and Assistant Inspector General (dental) for the U.S. Army Medical Command. He also had a period of about three years as a full time associate in a private practice setting.
Dr. Rose has been designated a Distinguished Teaching Professor and is a member of the Academy of Master Teachers. In the summer of 2012, Dr. Rose received the University of Texas Board of Regents Outstanding Teaching Award. He is one of eight recipients in the UT Healthcare System to receive this inaugural prestigious award. Other teaching awards while at the Dental School include the Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence, the Dental School Faculty Assembly Teaching Excellence Award on two occasions, the Postdoctoral General Dentistry Teacher of the Year Award three times and The Dental Student Association Professor of the Year Award twice. He has been recognized in the Consumers Research Council of Americas Guide to Americas Top Dentists and has been listed in Texas Monthly magazine as one of Texas Super Dentists. He has co-authored a chapter in the textbook Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry, 3rd edition, edited by James B. Summitt, J. William Robbins, Thomas J. Hilton, and Richard S. Schwartz.
- 1985 - Residency - Comprehensive Dentistry - Advanced Education in General Dentistry, Fort Knox Dental Activity
- 1980 - Residency - General Dentistry - General Practice Residency, Letterman Army Medical Center
- 1979 - DDS - Dentistry (With Distinction) - Indiana University School of Dentistry
- 1970 - BS - Engineering - U.S. Military Academy
- 9/2014 - Associate Professor - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School, Comprehensive Dentistry, San Antonio
- 6/2012 - Director, Predoctoral Division, Department of Comprehensive Dentistry and Director, Predoctoral Division, Comprehensive Dentistry Department and General Practice Group Leader - UTHSCSA Dental School, Comprehensive Dentistry, San Antonio
- 7/2004 - Leader, General Practice Group #3 - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School, Comprehensive Dentistry, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 3/2009 - Present, Pre-Doctoral Student Supervision, UTHSCSA Dental School
Rose WF, Sport I, Garza N. Critically appraised topics: 1.5-2mm of coronal dentin needed for crown buildup UT CAT Texas Dental Journal 2014 May;131(5).