Maria S. (Sukie) Rayas, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Currently seeking M.S. students
I am an assistant professor in the division of pediatric endocrinology and diabetes. My interests include learning about cystic fibrosis-related diabetes (CFRD) and other CF endocrine related disorders. The majority of my research and presentations have focused on improving the screening, diagnosis, and management of CFRD. For the past 7 years, I have helped develop a multidisciplinary clinic for CFRD patients in the CF Center with the CF center director and staff. I am now also the endocrinologist dedicated to seeing the adult CF patients with endocrine disorders. I have a KL2 research grant and a multi-center research grant that collaborates in recruiting and treatment of patients with CF-related diabetes issues.
- 2007 - MD - Medicine - UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio TX
- 2002 - BS - Psychology (Magna Cum Laude) - Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA
- 2013 - Fellowship - Clinical Fellowship - Pediatrics Endocrinology - UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio TX
- 2010 - Residency - Pediatrics - UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio TX
5/2022 - Women in Medicine - San Antonio Magazine
- 8/2013 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pediatrics, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 6/2010 - Present, Educational lectures, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Research & Grants
Funding Agency George Washington University - NIH Flow Through Title TODAY 2 Phase 2 (T2P2): Long-Term Post Intervention Follow Up Status Active Period 5/2016 - 4/2022 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail Follow Up Study of T2 Diabetes Children who have completed the TODAY Study with medical therapy and annual studies. TODAY study data is currently being analyzed. This study will then be further extended by final design which is under development and incorporating preliminary TODAY outcome data. This is a 5 year continuation for the long-term evaluation of the cohort that completed the TODAY2 Phase 1 component.
Grant Detail: Funding Agency: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Role: Principal Investigator, ZRAYAS20A0: Islet Cell Function in Youth With CF With and Without Liver Disease. 07/01/2020 - 06/30/2022. Multicenter grant.
Funding Agency Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Title ENVISION CF: EMERGING LEADERS IN CF ENDOCRINOLOGY Status Active Period 9/2016 - 8/2019 Role Principal Investigator
Grant Detail Funding Agency Jaeb Center for Health Research Title Pediatric Diabetes Consortium Type 2 Diabetes Registry Status Active Period 7/2015 - 12/2018 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail This is a joint collaboration between Jaeb Center for Health Research (JCHR) and The University of Texas Health Science Center to generate a registry of Type 2 diabetes patients. This registry will gather pertinent information on the patients in order to follow up on comprehensive care as it relates to their diabetic issues. This registry will create a cohort of Type 2 patients that will be helpful for other research-related projects. Income will be derived from a cost-reimbursable mechanism.
Funding Agency Jansen Research and Development, LLC Title CNTO148DML2001: Phase 2a SIMPONI to Arrest Beta Cell Loss in Type 1 Diabetes Status Active Period 10/2016 - 10/2020 Role Principal Investigator
Grant Detail Funding Agency University of Kansas City Medical Center Title PCORnet Obesity Observational Study: Short- and Long-term Effects of Antibiotics on Childhood Growth Status Active Period 2/2016 - 1/2018 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail (PID: 159509). The goal of this grant is to collaborate with the Great Plains Consortium which has developed a large clinical data research network of electronic health record information to facilitate the conduct of clinical trials and comparative effectiveness research investigations. This project examines antibiotic occurrences within the populace.
- Prevalence of Suspected Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease In Lean Adolescents In The United States
- Improved Screening for Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes by an Integrated Care Team Using an Algorithm
- Longitudinal Correlates of Health Risk Behaviors in Children and Adolescents with Type 2 Diabetes
- Female Reproductive Health in Cystic Fibrosis
- Young adults show especially serious complications from Type 2 diabetes
- Long-Term Complications in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Characterization of glucose metabolism in youth with vs. without CF liver disease: A pilot Study
- Metabolic Clearance of Insulin Is Altered after Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Diabetes Distress in Young Adults With Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes: TODAY2 Study Results
Shah R, McKay SV, Levitt Katz LE, El Ghormli L, Anderson BJ, Casey TL, Higgins L, Izquierdo R, Wauters AD, Chang N; TODAY Study Group.(J Lynch, E Escaname, M Rayas) Adherence to multiple medications in the TODAY (Treatment Options for type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents and Youth) cohort: effect of additional medications on adherence to primary diabetes medication. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Feb 25;33(2):191-198. doi: 10.1515/jpem-2019-0315. PMID: 31809265.
Kaar JL, Schmiege SJ, Drews K, Higgins J, Walders-Abramson N, Isganaitis E, Willi SM, Marcus MD, Zeitler PS, Kelsey MM. Evaluation of the longitudinal change in health behavior profiles across treatment groups in the TODAY clinical trial. (J Lynch, E Escaname, M Rayas) Pediatr Diabetes. 2020 Mar;21(2):224-232. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12976 PMID: 31886931.
Arslanian S, El Ghormli L, Haymond MH, Chan CL, Chernausek SD, Gandica RG, Gubitosi-Klug R, Levitsky LL, Siska M, Willi SM; TODAY Study Group. (J Lynch, E Escaname, M Rayas) Beta cell function and insulin sensitivity in obese youth with maturity onset diabetes of youth mutations vs type 2 diabetes in TODAY: Longitudinal observations and glycemic failure. Pediatr Diabetes. 2020 Jun;21(4):575-585. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12998. Epub 2020 Mar 3. PMID: 32064729.
Continuous glucose monitoring in Type 1 Diabetes and Cystic Fibrosis Patients
Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- 2013 - American Board of Pediatrics/Endocrinology
- 2010 - American Board of Pediatrics