Departments & Divisions
Daniel Ranch, M.D., M.B.A.
Clinical Associate Professor
I am a Pediatric Nephrologist in the Department of Pediatrics. My primary responsibility is the care of our general nephrology, dialysis, and kidney transplant populations in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. I also provide courtesy consultations for other health systems in the community. I am also an educator, as the module director for the pediatric resident nephrology inpatient and outpatient rotations, and a preceptor for the medical students‘ Clinical Skills Longitudinal Preceptorship Program. My research interests include acute renal replacement therapy, kidney transplantation, and teen transplant transition of care. Finally, I am active in departmental and SOM service activities, serving on the department‘s Residency Evaluation committee, and the SOM‘s Faculty Senate.
- 2019 - MBA - Business Administration - Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
- 2010 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Pediatric Nephrology - University of California, San Francisco
- 2007 - Residency - Pediatrics - University of Nevada School of Medicine
- 2005 - Internship - Pediatrics - University of Nevada School of Medicine
- 2003 - MD - Medicine - Chulalongkorn University Faculty of Medicine
- 1997 - BS - Microbiology - University of California, Los Angeles
- 9/2018 - Medical Director, Pediatric Kidney Transplant Program - University Transplant Center
- 9/2017 - Associate Professor / Clinical - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pediatrics, San Antonio
- 6/2011 - Courtesy Staff Member - Methodist Children`s HospitalSan Antonio
- 9/2010 - Courtesy Staff Member - University Health SystemSan Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 7/2014 - Present, Pediatric Nephrology, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2013 - Present, Rotation Student Supervision, UTHSCSA
- 7/2012 - Present, Clinical Skills, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2010 - Present, Pediatric Nephrology, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
1. Ranch D, Arar MY. Serum klotho is associated with left ventricular hypertrophy in pediatric dialysis patients 2013 Aug. (Pediatr Nephrol; vol. 28, no. 8).
1. Ranch D. Renal Venous Thrombosis, In: 5-minute Pediatric Consult, 8th Ed. In: Cabana, M. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 8th Ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2018.
2. Ranch D. Renal Venous Thrombosis. In: 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 7th Edition. In: Michael Cabana et al. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 7th Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2015.
3. Lee M, Perwad F, Ranch D, Brakeman P.. Chapter 12: Renal and Urologic Disorders. In: Pediatric Mentor: Clerkship and Shelf Exam Companion. 1st Edition. Cabana MD, Atkinson-McEvoy LR, Eds. FA Davis Company. (Philadelphia, PA). 2012. In: Cabana MD, Atkinson-McEvoy LR. Pediatric Mentor: Clerkship and Shelf Exam Companion. 1st Edition.. Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis Co.; 2012.
Mullikin D, Ranch D, Khalfe Y, Lucari B, Zobeck MC, Assanasen C, Gramatges MM, Scheurer ME, Schafer ES. Hispanic ethnicity is associated with prolonged clearance of high dose methotrexate and severe nephrotoxicity in children and adolescents with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2020 Jul 1:1-4.
Ranch D. Proteinuria in Children Pediatric Annals 2020 Jun
Onder AM1,2, Flynn JT3, Billings AA4, Deng F5, DeFreitas M6, Katsoufis C6, Grinsell MM7, Patterson L8, Jetton J9, Fathallah-Shaykh S10, Ranch D11, Aviles D12, Copelovitch L13, Ellis E14, Chadha V15, Elmaghrabi A16, Lin JJ17, Butani L18, Haddad M18, Marsenic O19, Brakeman P20, Quigley R16, Shin HS21, Garro R21, Liu H22, Rahimikollu J4, Raina R23, Langman CB5, Wood E24; Midwest Pediatric Nephrology Consortium.. Predictors of time to first cannulation for arteriovenous fistula in pediatric hemodialysis patients: Midwest Pediatric Nephrology Consortium study. Pediatric Nephrology 2020 Feb;35(2):287-295.
Onder AM, Flynn JT, Billings AA, Deng F, DeFreitas M, Katsoufis C, Grinsell MM, Patterson LT, Jetton J, Fathallah-Shaykh S, Ranch D, Aviles D, Copelovitch L, Ellis E, Chanda V, Elmaghrabi A, Lin JJ, Butani L, Haddad M, Couloures OM, Brakeman P, Quigley R, Stella Shin H, Garro R, Liu H, Rahimikollu J, Raina R, Langman CB, Wood EG; Midwest Pediatric Nephrology Consortium.. Predictors of patency for arteriovenous fistulae and grafts in pediatric hemodialysis patients Pediatric Nephrology 2018 Sep
Ranch D, Crowther BR, Arar MY, Assanasen C. Prophylactic eculizumab for kidney transplantation in a child with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome due to complement factor H mutation. Pediatric Transplantation 2014 Sep;18(6)
Zhang MY, Ranch D, Pereira RC, Armbrecht HJ, Portale AA, Perwad F. Chronic Inhibition of ERK1/2 Signaling Improves Disordered Bone and Mineral Metabolism in Hypophosphatemic (Hyp) Mice Endocrinology 2012 Apr;153(4):1806-1816.
Ranch D, Zhang MYH, Portale AA, Perwad F. Fibroblast Growth Factor-23 Regulates Renal 1,25(OH)2D and Phosphate Metabolism via the MAP Kinase Signaling Pathway in Hyp Mice Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2011 Aug
Ranch D, Aigbe MO, Gorospe EC. Prenatal calcification of the inferior vena cava and renal veins in a normal neonate. ScientificWorldJournal 2006 Jun;6:734-736.
- 2012 - American Board of Pediatrics/Nephrology
- 2007 - American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatrics