Departments & Divisions
Lori L. Pounds, M.D.
Professor, UT Health San Antonio
Chief of Vascular Surgery, Audie L. Murphy Veterans Hospital
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Fellowship Director
- 1993 - M.D. - Doctor of Medicine - Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- 1989 - B.S. - Biochemistry - University of Pittsburgh, PA
- 2001 - Fellowship - Peripheral Vascular Surgery - Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 1996 - Post Doctoral Fellowship - Smoke Inhalation Injury - Shriners Burns Institute, Galveston, TX
1989 Cum Laude Graduate
University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Bexar County Women in Medicine Certificate of Excellence 2017
SVS Women’s Leadership Training Grant 2019 $5000
UT Health Executive Development Award 2019-20
- 2010-Present - Chief of Vascular Surgery - Audie L. Murphy Veterans Hospital
- 09/2018-Present - Professor - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Texas
- 03/2014-Present - Program Director, Vascular Surgery Fellowship - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Texas
Program Director Vascular Fellowship 2014 - present
Resident Interview General Surgery 2010 - present
Faculty Research Mentor 2013 – present
Vascular Surgery Interest Group Faculty Sponsor 2015 – present
Vascular Anastomosis Instructor 2012 – present
Advance Surgical Skills for Exposure in Trauma Instructor 2016 - present
Faculty Advisory Committee UT Systems 2014-present
Compensation Committee 2016 - present
PTAC Review Committee 2014-present
Graduate Medical Education Committee 2014- present
Faculty Forward Task Force – Vascular Surgery Representative 2017
Audie L. Murphy VA
Chief of Vascular Surgery – 2010 - present
Surgery Bed Utilization Director 2011- present
Pre-Hydration Committee 2010-2014
Physician Compensation Panel 2010-2012
Surgical Quality Improvement Process 2011-2012
Vascular Lab Medical Director 2011-2015; 2018-2019
Endovascular Hybrid Room – Physician Leader 2013 – present
Limb Salvage Conference Chair 2017 - 2019
American Board of Surgery -General Surgery Associate Examiner 2018 -2020
American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine Board of Directors 2019 - 2023
American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine Education Committee 2018 - present
American Venous Forum: Fellows Venous Course Director 2015- present
American Venous Forum: Venous Ulcer Initiative Committee 2011 -present
***More upon request
Texas Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society:
Medical Student Program Chair 2016
Program Chair 2015
Vice President 2011
Session Moderator 2011, 2012, 2015
Association of Women Surgeon South Texas Chapter: President 2011- present
A. Peer-Reviewed Journals:
1. Cindrick LL, Gore D, Herndon DN, Traber L, Traber D. Bronchoscopic lavage with perfluorocarbon decreases post procedure hypoxemia in an ovine model of smoke inhalation. J Trauma 46:129-134, 1999.
2. Murakami M, Wiley L, Cindrick-Pounds L, Hunter GC, Uchida T, Killewich LA. External pneumatic compression does not increase urokinase plasminogen activity following abdominal surgery. J Vasc Surg 36:917-921, 2002.
3. Woodside KJ, Hu M, Burke A, Murakami M, Pounds LL, Killewich LA, Daller JA, Hunter GC. The morphologic characteristics of varicose veins: possible role of metalloproteinases. J Vasc Surg 38:162-169, 2003.
4. Murakami M, McDill TL, Cindrick-Pounds L, Loran DB, Woodside KJ, Mileski WJ, Hunter GC, Killewich LA. Deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis in trauma: improved compliance with a novel miniaturized pneumatic compression device. J Vasc Surg 38:923-926, 2003.
5. Killewich LA, Cindrick-Pounds LL, Gomez G. Robot-assisted laparoscopic aortic reconstruction for occlusive disease-a case report. Vasc Endovasc Surg 38:83-87, 2004.
6. Pounds LL, Montes-Walters M, Mayhall CG, Falk PS, Sanderson E, Tholcken C, Hunter GC, Killewich LA. A changing pattern of graft infection after major vascular reconstruction. Vasc Endovasc Surg 39(6):511-517, 2005.
7. Tonnessen BH, Pounds LL. Radiation Physics. Supplement on Radiation Safety. J Vasc Surg 53(1): 6S-8S, 2011.
8. Pounds LL, Teordorescu VA. Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis Access in Women Supplement on Women’s Vascular Health. J. Vasc Surg 57(4): 49S-53S, 2013.
9. O'Donnell TF Jr, Passman MA, Marston WA, Ennis WJ, Dalsing M, Kistner RL, Lurie F, Henke PK, Gloviczki ML, Eklöf BG, Stoughton J, Raju S, Shortell CK, Raffetto JD, Partsch H, Pounds LC, Cummings ME, Gillespie DL, McLafferty RB, Murad MH, Wakefield TW, Gloviczki P; Society for Vascular Surgery; American Venous Forum. Management of venous leg ulcers: clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery ® and the American Venous Forum. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Aug;60(2 Suppl):3S-59S.
10. Admire JR, Pounds LL, Adams AJ, Gomez PP, Willis RE. Development and Construct Validity of a Low-Fidelity Training Platform for Driving Large and Small Suture Needles. J. Surgical Education 72(3): 387-393, 2015.
11. Huang BY, Hicks TD, Haider GM, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Vascular Surgery Training Program Websites: An Evaluation of the Availability, Accessibility, and Quality of Online Content for Residency and Fellowship Applicants. J Vasc Surg 2017 Dec; 66 (6) p1892-1901.
12. Baer-Bositis HE, Hicks TD, Haidar GM, Sideman MJ, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Outcomes of Re-Intervention after Tibial Endovascular Endovascular Intervention. J Vasc Surg 2017; 67:1788-96.
13. Hui SH, Folsom R, Killewich LA, Vu ML, Li C, Michalek J, Davies MG, Pounds LL. A Comparison of Preoperative and Intraoperative Vein Mapping Sizes for Arteriovenous Fistula Creation. J Vasc Surg 2018; 67; 1813-20.
14. Baer-Bositis HE, Hicks TD, Haidar GM, Sideman MJ, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Outcomes Of Re-Intervention After Tibial Endovascular Intervention J Vasc Surg 2018;68:811-21.
15. Baer-Bositis HE, Hicks TD, Haidar GM, Sideman MJ, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Outcomes of Tibial Endovascular Intervention for Rest Pain in Patients with ESRD on Dialysis. Ann Vasc Surg 2018; 46:118-126.
16. Cheun TJ, Jayakumar L, Sheehan MK, Sideman JM, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Influence of Heel Ulceration on Limb Salvage after Open and Endovascular Intervention for Limb Threatening Critical Ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2018 (submitted)
17. Cheun TJ, Jayakumar L, Sheehan MK, Sideman JM, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Outcomes of Staged versus Primary Amputations for Diabetic Foot Disease J Vasc Surg 2019; (submitted)
18. Cheun TJ, Jayakumar L, Sheehan MK, Sideman JM, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Outcomes of Upper Extremity Interventions for Chronic Critical Ischemia. E-Pub J Vasc Surg Jan 2019
19. Cheun TJ, Jayakumar L, Sheehan MK, Sideman JM, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Upper Extremity Arterial Endovascular Interventions for Symptomatic Vascular access Induced Steal Syndrome. e-pub J Vasc Surg. May 2019.
B. Book Chapters:
1. Comerota AJ, Cindrick LL. Hemorrhagic complications and their prevention: blood components and their use in therapy. In: Baker RJ, Fisher, JE (eds). Mastery of Surgery, 4th Edition. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2000
2. Comerota AJ, Cindrick LL. Carotid Artery Disease, In: Hiatt WR, Hirch AT, Regensteiner JG (eds). Handbook of Peripheral Arterial Disease, CRC Press, 2001
3. Pounds LL. Acute Ischemia. In Prough DS, Bidani A, Zwischenberger JB, Mathru M (eds). Decision Making in Critical Care, St. Louis, Mosby.
4. Pounds LL. Lower extremity deep venous thrombosis. In Prough DS, Bidani A, Zwischenberger JB, Mathru M (eds.). Decision Making in Critical Care, St. Louis, Mosby.
5. Pounds LL. Chapter 85: Femoral-Popliteal Bypass (In Situ). Townsend CM, Evers MB (eds): Atlas of General Surgical Techniques. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier,2010
6. Pounds LL. Chapter 86: Femoral-tibial and Peroneal Bypass (Chapter 84) Townsend CM, Evers MB (eds). Atlas of General Surgical Techniques. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2010.
7. Pounds LL, Killewich LA. Chapter 10: Venous Hemodynamics. Cronenwett JL and Johnston KW (eds) Rutherford’s Textbook of Vascular Surgery 7th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier 2010.
8. Pounds LL, Killewich LA. Chapter 10: Venous Hemodynamics. Cronenwett JL and Johnston KW (eds) Rutherford’s Textbook of Vascular Surgery 8th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier 2014.
1. Cindrick LL, Schenarts P, Bone H, Traber L, Herndon DN, Traber D. Nebulization of a non-anticoagulant heparinoid (GM 1892) attenuates lung lymph flow after acute lung injury in sheep. FASEB J 10:A2042, 1996.
2. Cindrick LL, Schenarts P, O’Connor M, Traber L, Traber D, Airway nebulization of a non-anticoagulant heparinoid (GM 1892) attenuates cardiovascular depression following inhalation injury Shock 5:A175, 1996.
3. Cindrick LL, Gore D, Herndon DN, Traber D. Bronchoscopic perfluorocarbon decreases peak airway pressure in an ovine smoke inhalation model. Crit Care Med 25:A35, 1997.
4. Hui SH, Folsom R, Killewich LA, Vu ML, Li C, Michalek J, Davies MG, Pounds LL. A Comparison of Preoperative and Intraoperative Vein Mapping Sizes for Arteriovenous Fistula Creation. J Vasc Surg 2017 Jan; 65 (1) e11-12.
5. Baer-Bositis HE, Hicks TD, Haider GM, Sideman MJ, Sheehan MK, Pounds LL, Davies MG. Outcomes of Re-Intervention After Tibial Endovascular Intervention. J Vasc Surg 2017 Jan; 65 (1) 3.
6. Cheun T, Haider GM, Hicks TD, Pounds LL Sideman MJ, Davies MG. Implications of Early Failure of Isolated Tibial Interventions. J. Vasc Surg 2017 Oct; 66 (4): e93.
Cheun T, Hicks TD, Haidar GH, Pounds LL, Sideman MJ, Davies MG. Upper Extremity Endovascular Interventions for Symptomatic Vascular Access-Induced Steal. J Vasc Surg 2017 Oct: 66(4) e93
- 2017 - Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Certification
- 2016 - RPVI (Registered Physician Vascular Interpretation)
- 2002 - Vascular Surgery-American Board of Surgery
- 2000 - General Surgery-American Board of Surgery