Daniel E Perez , DDS, MS, FACS
Dr. Daniel E Perez is an Associated Professor & Program Director in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Dr. Perez was born in San Jose, Costa Rica where he obtained his dental degree from the University of Costa Rica. He moved to Bogota, Colombia and completed his residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana. After that he returned to Costa Rica and that same year was accepted in a fellowship program in Orthognathic and TMJ Surgery under the supervision of Dr. Larry M. Wolford at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas.
Dr. Perez’s field of interests includes: trauma, facial reconstructive surgery, temporomandibular joint disorders, sleep apnea, and orthognathic surgery among others. He is an international speaker, director of the residency and board certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for which he serves as an examiner. He has published in peer reviews journals and has many IRB projects currently with the university. Dr Perez is also the only surgeon in San Antonio doing TMJ replacement surgery with over 400 patients treated so far with artificial joint reconstruction from all over the state.
- 2009 - Clinical Fellowship - Fellowship - Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas AM HSC - TMJ and Orthognathic Surgery
- 2008 - Postdoctoral Training - Residency - Pontificia Universidad Javeriana - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- 2002 - DDS - Dentistry - Universidad de Costa Rica
- 11/2019 - Clinic Director - UT HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, San Antonio
- 7/2018 - Program Director - UT HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, San Antonio
- 10/2010 - Christus Santa Rosa Pediatric Hospital, Privileges - , Surgery, San Antonio
- 1/2010 - University Hospital, Privileges - , Surgery, San Antonio
- 8/2009 - Associate Professor / Clinical - University of Texas Health Science Center, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, San Antonio
1. Castro VA, Pereira RMA, Mascarenhas GM, Neto AIT, Perez DE, Rodrigues D, Prado CJ, Zanetta-Barbosa D. Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of articular disk position after orthognathic surgery with or without concomitant disk repositioning: a retrospective study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2020 Sep 9:S2212-4403(20)31202-5
2. Perez DE, Garza R Jr. Computer-Assisted Design and Manufacturing in Combined Orthognathic and Temporomandibular Joint Surgery. Atlas Oral MaxillofacSurg Clin North Am. 2020 Sep;28(2):83-93
3. Brown ZL, Sarrami S, Perez DE. Will they fit? Determinants of the adaptability of stock TMJ prostheses where custom TMJ prostheses were utilized. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 Jun 23:S0901-5027(20)30195-8.
4. Amarista FJ, Mercuri LG, Perez D. Temporomandibular Joint Prosthesis Revision and/or Replacement Survey and Review of the Literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 May 20:S0278-2391(20)30488-2.
5. Brown Z, Rushing DC, Perez DE. Alloplastic Temporomandibular Joint Reconstruction for Patients WithJuvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 May 12:S0278-2391(20)30459-6
6. Rughubar V, Vares Y, Singh P, Filipsky A, Creanga A, Iqbal S, Alkhalil M, Kormi E, Hanken H, Calle AR, Smolka W, Turner M, Csáki G, Sánchez-Aniceto G, Pérez D, Cornelius CP, Alani B, Vlad D, Kontio R, Ellis E 3rd. Combination of Rigid and Nonrigid Fixation Versus Nonrigid Fixation for Bilateral Mandibular Fractures: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 May 15:S0278-2391(20)30465-1.
7. Rushing DC, Rushing CJ, Perez D, Ellis E 3rd. Barriers to Full Text Journal Publication of Abstracts Presented at Annual AAOMS Meetings. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 Jan 7:684-687
8. Jones JP, Elnagar MH, Perez DE. Temporary Skeletal Anchorage Techniques. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2020 Feb;32(1):27-37.
9. Perez D, Brown ZL, Amarista FJ, Pham M. Treatment of malocclusion after TMJ disc repositioning with Mitekanchors. A retrospective review. J Stomatol Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019 Mar 9.
10. Alsabban L, Amarista FJ, Mercuri LG, Perez D. Idiopathic Condylar Resorption: A Survey and Review of the Literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018 Jul 19. pii: S0278-2391(18)30771-7
11. Zimmerer RM, Gellrich NC, von Bülow S, Strong EB, Ellis E 3rd, Wagner MEH, Sanchez Aniceto G, Schramm A, Grant MP, Thiam Chye L, Rivero Calle A, Wilde F, Perez D, Bittermann G, Mahoney NR, Redondo AlamillosM, Bašić J, Metzger M, Rasse M, Dittman J, Rometsch E, Espinoza K, Hesse R, Cornelius CP. Is there more to the clinical outcome in posttraumatic reconstruction of the inferior and medial orbital walls than accuracy of implant placement and implant surface contouring? A prospective multicenter study to identify predictors of clinical outcome. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2018 Apr;46(4):578-587
12. Perez, D. Controversies in Orthognathic Surgery. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2017 Nov;29(4):425-440
13. Melanoma Metastasis to the Mandible-Case Report and Comprehensive Literature Review. Cervenka PD, Perez L Jr, Perez DE, Jones B. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Sep;75(9):2025.e1-2025.
14. Al-Moraissi EA, Perez D, Ellis E 3rd. Do patients with malocclusion have a higher prevalence of temporomandibular disorders than controls both before and after orthognathic surgery? A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2017 Oct;45(10):1716-1723.
15. Al-Moraissi EA, Wolford LM, Perez D, Laskin DM, Ellis E 3rd.Does Orthognathic Surgery Cause or Cure Temporomandibular Disorders? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Sep;75(9):1835-1847.
16. McGuff HS, Jones AC, Landaeta Quinones CG, Perez DE. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Case of the Month: Central Odontogenic Fibroma, Epithelium-Rich Variant. Tex Dent J. 2016 Dec;133(12):714-17, 764-65
17. Zimmerer RM, Ellis E 3rd, Aniceto GS, Schramm A, Wagner ME, Grant MP, Cornelius CP, Strong EB, Rana M, Chye LT, Calle AR, Wilde F, Perez D, Tavassol F, Bittermann G, Mahoney NR, Alamillos MR, Bašić J, Dittmann J, Rasse M, Gellrich NC. A prospective multicenter study to compare the precision of posttraumatic internal orbital reconstruction with standard preformed and individualized orbital implants. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2016 Sep;44(9):1485-97.
18. Perez DE, Wolford LM, Schneiderman E, Movahed R, Bourland C, Gutierrez EP. Does Unilateral Temporomandibular Total Joint Reconstruction Result in Contralateral Joint Pain and Dysfunction? J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Feb 23.
19. Perez D, Ellis E 3rd. Implications of Sequencing in Simultaneous Maxillary and Mandibular Orthognathic Surgery. Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2016 Mar;24(1):45-53. Review.
20. Barboza Concepcion, Perez DE. Implant supported restorations in the esthetic zone. Selected Readings in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Volume 23.1 2015.
21. Perez DE, Wolford LM. Contemporary management of temporomandibular joint disorders. Oral Maxillofac SurgClin North Am. 2015 Feb;27
22. Wolford LM, Perez DE. Surgical Management of Congenital Deformities with Temporomandibular Joint Malformation. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015 Feb;27(1):137-154.
23. Liddell A, Perez DE. Temporomandibular Joint Dislocation. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015 Feb;27(1):125-136.
24. Tibbitts, L; Perez, D. DDS; Van Sickle, K. M.D. Endoscope-Assisted Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Mandibular Subcondylar Fractures is a Reliable and Comparable Technique to an Extraoral Surgical Approach. An Evidence Based Synopsis. UTHSCSA CATs Library, CAT # 2823. 2015
25. Ellis III E, Perez D, An Algorithm for the Treatment of Isolated Zygomatico- Orbital Fractures, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2014),
26. Wolford LM, Movahed R, Perez DE. A classification system for conditions causing condylar hyperplasia. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014 Mar;72(3):567-95.
27. Leland J, Turkyilmaz I, Arguello CB, Perez D. Rehabilitation of a Severely Atrophic Mandible Using Soft Tissue Matrix Expansion (Tent-Pole). J Oral Implantol. 2016 Apr;42(2):201-4. Epub 2014 Dec 29
28. Nagella, Alsabban, Perez. Chondromyxoid Fibroma of The TMJ. A Case Report. Texas Dental Journal, December 2014
29. Wolford LM, Bourland TC, Rodrigues D, Perez DE, Limoeiro E. Successful reconstruction of nongrowing hemifacial microsomia patients with unilateral temporomandibular joint total joint prosthesis and orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Dec;70(12):2835-53.
30. Wolford LM, Perez D, Stevao E, Perez E. Airway Space Changes After Nasopharyngeal Adenoidectomy in Conjunction With Le Fort I Osteotomy. J Oral MaxillofacSurg. 2012 Mar;70(3):665-71.
31. Perez D, Ellis E 3rd, Vega OA. Distraction osteogenesis for craniomaxillofacial problems. Tex Dent J. 2011 Nov;128(11):1159-70
32. Perez D, Ellis E 3rd. Sequencing bimaxillary surgery: mandible first. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Aug;69(8):2217-24. Epub 2011 Feb 3.
33. Vega O, Perez D, Paramo V, Falcon J. A New Device forAlveolar Bone Transport. Cranial Maxillofac Trauma Reconstruction 2011; 4(2): 091-106
34. Perez D, Leibold D, Liddell A, Duraini M. Vascular lesions of the maxillofacial region: a case report and review of the literature. Tex Dent J. 2010 Oct;127(10):1045-57.
35. McGuff HS, Perez DE, Kern TW, Jones AC. Oral and maxillofacial pathology case of the month. Pleomorphicadenoma (benign mixed tumor). Tex Dent J. 2010 May;127(5):508, 518-20.
36. Wolford LM, Morales-Ryan CA, García-Morales P, Perez D. Surgical management of mandibular condylar hyperplasia type 1. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2009 Oct;22(4):321-9.
1. Yates and Markiewicz, Hemifacial Microsomia and Treacher Collins Syndrome: Comprehensive Treatment of Associated Facial Deformities. TJR for HFM and TreacherCollins Chapter. Springer 2020
2. Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. MMA for the Treatment of OSA & Postoperative Management chapters. Reza Mohaved. Springer 2020
3. Temporary Skeletal Anchorage Techniques, OMF Clinics August 2019
4. Facial Trauma Surgery: From Primary repair to Reconstruction. Amir H. Dorafshar, Eduardo D. Rodriguez, Paul N. Manson. Elsevier 2020. Fractures of the Condylar Process of the Mandible, 186. Edward Ellis & Daniel Perez
5. Oral& Maxillofacial Surgery Review: A Study GuideMaxillofacial Trauma Chapter
Din Lam and Daniel M Laskin. Quintessence 2015
6. Contemporary management of temporomandibular joint disorders. Oral Maxillofac SurgClin North Am. Editor. 2015 Feb;27