Departments & Divisions
Angela Palaiologou Gallis, D.D.S., M.S.
Dr. Palaiologou-Gallis is the Graduate Program Director and Director of the Specialist Division. She received her D.D.S. in 1995 at the National University of Athens, Greece. She then worked for two years in private practice before she received a full scholarship from the National Scholarship Foundation of Greece to specialize in Periodontics. She received a certificate in Periodontics and a Master of Science Degree in Oral Biology in 2000 from Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. She then returned to Greece where she practiced Periodontics for 7 years in private practice.
Her academic career began in 2007 at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. From 2007 until 2009 she was course director of the Intermediate Periodontics Course and was involved in didactic and clinical teaching of dental students and postgraduate residents. In July 2009, Dr. Palaiologou-Gallis was appointed Postgraduate Program Director in the department of Periodontics at LSUHSC. During the following nine years in that position, she directed most postgraduate periodontics courses and mentored 23 residents’ Masters in Dental Science research projects. During her tenure at LSUHSC, Dr. Palaiologou was elected president of the AADR-NO Chapter, president of the OKU honorary society, and served in several institutional and departmental committees.
She is a Director of the American Board of Periodontology, a member of the CODA Periodontics Review Committee, a CODA site visitor, and a member of the American Academy of Periodontology In-Service Committee among others. She has served the American Academy of Periodontology in several committees and task forces as well as the elected chair of the AAP Postdoctoral Directors Organization.
Dr. Palaiologou-Gallis received the 2013 American Academy of Periodontology Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring Award. She is also a 2014 Fellow of the ADEA Leadership Institute and received a Special Citation from the American Academy of Periodontology in 2019.
Dr. Palaiologou-Gallis has received commercial funding for several in vitro as well as clinical research projects. Her research interests include translational research on periodontal regeneration and wound healing and dental implants.
Related diseases: Periodontal Disease
- 2000 - Postdoctoral Training - Periodontics - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- 2000 - MS - Pharmacology - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- 1995 - DDS - Dentistry - National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, School of Dentistry
- 11/2018 - Tenured Professor and Assistant Program Director - UT Health San Antonio, Periodontics, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 7/2019 - Present, PERI 6036: Perio Lecture Series, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
- 7/2019 - Present, Surgical Anatomy, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2019 - Present, Literature Seminars, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2019 - Present, Case Presentation Seminar, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2019 - Present, Mock Boards, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2019 - Present, Current Lit Seminar, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 11/2018 - Present, Clinical Periodontics I, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 11/2018 - Present, Clinical Periodontics II, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 11/2018 - Present, Clinical Periodontics III, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Dragonas P, Katsaros T, Avila-Ortiz G, Chambrone L, Schiavo J, Palaiologou A. Effects of Leukocyte - Platelet Rich Fibrin (L-PRF) in different intraoral bone grafting procedures: A systematic review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2018.06.003, available online at https://www.sciencedirect.com; 2018 Jul. (Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg).
Simmons D, Maney P, Teitelbaum A, Billiot S, Popat L, Palaiologou A. Comparative Evaluation of the Stability of Two Different Dental Implant Designs and Surgical Protocols - A Pilot Study International Journal of Implant Dentistry 2017 Dec;. Owens JL, Cordell KG, Amornporncharoen M, Palaiologou AA. Histologic Evaluation of Acellular Dermal Matrix Allografts in Humans: Clinical Advances in Periodontics Clinical Advances in Periodontics 2017 Aug;7(3):122-127. Wilson D, Soileau K, Esquivel J, Cordero-Wilson A, Buchman W, Maney P, Palaiologou A. Assessment of Gingival Symmetry with Digital Measuring Tools and its Reproducibility International Journal of Esthetic Dentistry 2017 Jan;4(12):2-12. Simmons DE, Palaiologou A, Teitelbaum AG, Billiot S, Popat LJ, Maney P. Immediate and Early Loading of Hydrothermally Treated, Hydroxyapatite-Coated Dental Implants: 2-Year Results from A Prospective Clinical Study J Oral Implantol 2016 Feb;42(1):17-25. Nichols-Ede D, Errante M, Hirschberg C, Self K, Wankiiri-Hale C, Palaiologou A. Overlap or Integration? The Reality of Dental Specialties Journal of the Western Society of Periodontology 2016 Jan;64(4):100-107. Tsourounakis I, Sweidan C, Palaiologou A, Maney P. A Novel Technique for Successful Coverage of Isolated Severe Gingival Recession Clinical Advances in Periodontics 2014 Nov;4(4):148-153. Lester S, Cordell K, Rosebush M, Maney P, Palaiologou A. Peripheral Giant Cell Granulomas: A Report of 279 Patients Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2014 Oct;118(4):475-482. Tsourounakis I, Palaiologou A, Hienz S. Osseous Void of the Posterior Mandible - An Unusual Complication During Implant Placement Clinical Advances in Periodontology 2014 Feb;4(1):9-13. Tsourounakis I, Palaiologou-Gallis A, Stoute D, Maney P, Lallier T. Effect of Essential Oil and Chlorhexidine Mouthwashes on Gingival Fibroblast Survival and Migration Journal of Periodontology 2013 Aug;84(8):1211-1220.