Erin L. Nelson, M.D.
Professor, Clerkship Director
Vice Chair of Education, Division Director of Education
Joseph Seitchik Endowed Chair, Distinguished teaching professor
Dr. Nelson serves as the Division Director and Vice Chair of Education as well as Clerkship Director for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Nelson is certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Her special interests are medical education, curriculum development and cervical dysplasia.
She is a graduate of the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) Academic Scholars and Leaders Program, and is an oral board examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG).
She has received numerous teaching awards including the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) National Excellence in Teaching Award (2011 and 2019) and the 2022 UT Presidential Award in the category of Teaching Excellence-Sustained. She was named a distinguished teaching professor by the UT System in 2021 and is an inaugural Member and Foundational Board of Directors Member of the Long School of Medicine Academy of Teaching Scholars.
- 1998 - Doctor of Medicine - Medicine - New York Medical College
- 1992 - Bachelor of Science - Physiology and Neuroscience - The University of California, San Diego
- 2002 - Residency - Obstetrics and Gynecology - The University of Texas Medical Center, Houston
- 2021 - Vice Chair of Education, Division Director of Education - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2017 - Professor/Clinical - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2013 - 2017 - Associate Professor/Clinical - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2009 - 2013 - Assistant Professor/Faculty Physician - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2007 - 2009 - Staff Physician/Attending Physician in Obstetrics and Gynecology - William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- 2004 - 2005 - Attending Physician - Sandhills Womancare
- 2002 - 2005 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2002 - 2005 - Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor/Faculty Physician - Duke University
- 2002 - 2004 - Attending Physician - Women's Wellness Center
Instruction & Training
- 2020, LSOM Academy of Educational Scholars: Faculty Development Curriculum Co-Director, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2019, OBG Department Faculty Development Director
- 2011 - Present, OBGYN Clerkship Director, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2011 - 2014, MS2 Module Endocrine and Female Reproductive Module Course Co-Director
- 2011 - 2014, Advanced Clinical Exam Skills Pelvic Lab Director
- 2010 - Present, Director of Resident Colposcopy and Dysplasia Education
02/2021 – Present Department of OB/GYN Promotion and Tenure Committee Member
02/2021 - Present REI/Oncology Fellowship PEC Member
2019 - Present, Faculty Development Task Force (Chair)
08/2020 – 4/2021 Residency Program Clinical Competency Committee Chair
08/2020 - 3/2021 Fellowship Clinical Competency Committee Chair, Maternal-Fetal Medicine
04/2013 – 2/2021 Residency Program CCC
2022 ASCCP Board of Directors
2020, APGO/CREOG Early Result Application Program Work Group
2018 - 2020, ASCCP Clinical Action Threshold Work Group
2018 - Present, ASCCP Practice Committee
2017- 2021 APGO Testing and Self-Assessment Committee Member
2016 - 2018, ASCCP Assessment and Resident Education Committee (Chair)
2014 - 2016, ASCCP Evaluation Committee (Co-Chair)
2014 - 2016, ASCCP Education Committee (Chair)
Stansbury N, Nelson EL, Chavez C, Taylor M. Introduction of Wireless Buzzer to Improve Efficiency in Gynecology Triage: A Quality Improvement Initiative [18G]. Obstetrics & Gynecology 135:75S, May 2020.
Nelson EL. Visual Feedback and Interactive Learning Modules Improve Resident Learning of Colposcopy. J. Low Genit Tract Disease 21(2):S1-S17, April 2017.
Nelson EL. Accuracy of Colposcopy of Resident Learners 2012-2013. J.Low Gen Tract Disease 21(2):S1-S17, April 2017.
Nelson EL. Management of Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests in Pregnancy. ASCCP. 2021. Available from <https://www.asccp.org/pearl4>.
*Stansbury N. Nelson EL. Introduction of Wireless Buzzer to Improve Efficiency in Gynecology Triage. Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare (PSQH). 2020. Available from <https://www.psqh.com/analysis/introduction-of-wireless-buzzer-to-improve....
Nelson EL. Management of Abnormal Vaginal Cytology and HPV Tests. ASCCP. 2020. Available from <https://www.asccp.org/pearl1>.
Nelson EL, Ceitjin H, Zoschnick L, Ault K. Residency Reading Program in Colposcopy. 2017. Available from <http://www.asccp.org/residency-reading-program>.
Nelson EL. Teaching the Female Breast and Pelvic Exam: A Student and Patient-Centered Approach. Med Ed Portal Publications. 2016. Available from <http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10399>.
Stansbury, N., Song, J., & Nelson, E. (2021). Acute Hemorrhagic Shock from Prolapsing Myoma Requiring Emergent Surgical Management A Case Report. JOURNAL OF REPRODUCTIVE MEDICINE, 66(11-12), 400-402.
Winkel AF, Morgan HK, Akingbola O, Nelson E et al. Perspectives of Stakeholders About an Early Result Acceptance Program to Complement the Residency Match in Obstetrics and Gynecology. JAMA Netw Open. 2021;4(10):e2124158. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.24158
Nelson, E., Ireland, K. & Krapf, J.M. Baseline Clinical Skill of Medical Students Entering the Obstetrics and Gynecology Core Clinical Clerkship. Med.Sci.Educ. 31, 59–65 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-020-01091z
Clarke MA, Darragh TM, Nelson EL, Unger ER, Zuna R, Cremer M, et al. Reporting and Assessing the Quality of Diagnostic Accuracy Studies for Cervical Cancer Screening and Management. J. Low Genit Tract Disease 24(2):157–166, April 2020. PMID 32243311.
Clarke MA, Unger ER, Zuna R, Nelson EL, Darragh TM, Cremer M, et al. A Systematic Review of Tests for Postcolposcopy and Posttreatment Surveillance. J. Low Genit Tract Disease 24(2):148-156, April 2020. PMID 32243310.
Nelson EL, Knudtson JF. Interactive Learning Modules With Visual Feedback Improve Resident Learning in Colposcopy. J. Low Genit Tract Disease 24(2):215-220, April 2020. PMID 32108121.
Perkins RB, Guido RS, Castle PE, Chelmow D, Einstein, Garcia F, et al. 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests and Cancer Precursors. J. Low Genit Tract Disease 24(2): 102–131, April 2020. PMID 32243307.
Nelson EL, Bogliatto F, Stockdale CK. Vulvar Intraepithelial Neoplasia and Condylomata. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics 58(3):512-525, September 2015.
Schillerstrom JE, Lutz ML, Ferguson DM, Nelson EL, Parker JA. The Women‘s Health Objective Structured Clinical Exam: A Multidisciplinary Collaboration. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 34(4):145-149, December 2013.
Nelson EL, Stockdale CK. Vulvar and vaginal HPV disease. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 40(2):359-376, June 2013.
*Nelson EL, Parker AN, Dudley DJ. Spontaneous Vulvar Hematoma During Pregnancy: A Case Report. J Reprod Med 57(1-2):74-76, January 2012.
- 2004 - American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology