Mohan Natarajan, Ph.D.
Currently seeking Ph.D. students
Dr. Mohan Natarajan has been a research investigator in the field of Molecular and Cell Biology for the past 23 years. His current research interest is focused on cellular/molecular responses and cell signaling upon radiation and or chemo-induced carcinogenesis.
These responses were/are being studied using several cancer models and normal cell types both in vivo and in vitro. He has published more than 64 peer reviewed research articles in highly reputed scientific journals. He has also been invited as plenary speaker or session speaker over 40 national and international academic meetings.
He has developed successful collaborations both nationally and internationally. Through his collaborations, he has expanded his research background into studies involving nitric oxide signaling, breast cancer research and development of animal
models. His expertise in the interrelated fields along with his wealth of research experience and productive collaborations puts him in a unique position to successfully carry out the proposed project.
- 1993 - Postdoctoral Training - Radiation Biology - Dept. of Radiology, Div. of Rad/Oncology - UTHSCSA
- 1990 - Postdoctoral Training - Nutritional Immunology - Dept. of Medicine, Div. of Clinical Immunology - UTHSCSA
- 1989 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Virology - Dept. of Microbiology, UTHSCSA
- 1987 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Fellow of National Board Biotechnology - Dept. of Biochemistry, Div. of Allergy & Applied Immunology
- 1987 - Postdoctoral Training - Fellow of University Grants Commission - Dept. of Genetics, Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Science
- 1986 - PhD - Biomedical Genetics - Postgraduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras
- 1981 - MMS - Genetics - Postgraduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras
- 1980 - MS - Biology - Presidency College, University of Madras
- 1978 - BS - Biology - Tagore Arts College, Central University
- 1/2015 - Adjunct Professor - University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Physiology and Integrative Cell Biology, San Antonio
- 1/2013 - Professor/Research and Research Professor - University Health System, San Antonio, TX, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, San Antonio
- 9/2007 - Graduate Faculty and Graduate Faculty - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Molecular Medicine
- 9/2002 - Graduate Faculty - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Radiology
Instruction & Training
- 7/2012 - Present, Individual Instruction, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 8/2011 - Present, Post-Doctoral Student Supervision, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 3/2010 - Present, Post-Doctoral Student Supervision, University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA)
- 1/2004 - Present, Post-Doctoral Student Supervision, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
Research & Grants
Animal Models, Breast Cancer, Cancer Prevention, DNA Damage Response, Head & Neck Cancer
Experimental and Developmental Therapeutics Program
Coleman MA, Sasi SP, Onufrak J, Natarajan M, Manickam K, Schwab J, Muralidharan S, Peterson LE, Alekseyev YO, Yan X, Goukassian DA. Low-dose radiation affects cardiac physiology: gene networks and molecular signaling in cardiomyocytes; 2015 Dec. (Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol; vol. 309, no. 11). Natarajan M. Inhibitor-κB kinase attenuates Hsp90-dependent endothelial nitric oxide synthase function in vascular endothelial cells; 2015 Feb.
Delma CR, Thirugnanasambandan S, Srinivasan GP, Raviprakash N, Manna SK, Natarajan M, Aravindan N. Fucoidan from marine brown algae attenuates pancreatic cancer progression by regulating p53- NFkB crosstalk Phytochemistry 2019 Nov;167. Sureshkumar MA, Delma CR, Manickam K, Mohan S, Habib SL, Natarajan M. Heterozygous Tsc2 (Tsc2+/-) Mouse Model to Study Induced Renal Cancer in Response to Ionizing Radiation at Low Doses Carcinogenesis 2019 Jul;40(6):782-790. Natarajan M, Habib SL, Reddick RL, Delma CR, Manickam K, Prihoda TJ, Werner SL, Mohan S. Endothelial cell-specific overexpression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in Ins2Akita mice exacerbates diabetic nephropathy J Diabetes Complications 2019 Jan;33(1):23-32. Yu H, Aravindan N, Xu J, Natarajan M. Inter- and intra-cellular mechanism of NF-kB-dependent survival advantage and clonal expansion of radio-resistant cancer cells Cell Signal 2017 Mar;31:105-111. Aravindan N, Aravindan S, Manickam K, Natarajan M. High Energy Particle Radiation-associated Oncogenic Transformation in Normal Mice: Insight into the Connection between Activation of Oncotargets and Oncogene Addiction Sci Rep 2016 Nov;6. Natarajan M, Aravindan N, Sprague EA, Mohan S. Hemodynamic Flow-Induced Mechanotransduction Signaling Influences the Radiation Response of the Vascular Endothelium Radiat Res 2016 Aug;186(2):175-188. Ramraj SK, Aravindan S, Somasundaram DB, Herman TS, Natarajan M, Aravindan N. Serum-circulating miRNAs predict neuroblastoma progression in mouse model of high-risk metastatic disease Oncotarget 2016 Apr;7(14):18605-19. Natarajan M. RD3 loss dictates high-risk aggressive neuroblastoma and poor clinical outcomes 2015 Nov;. Sasi SP, Song J, Park D, Enderling H, McDonald JT, Gee H, Garrity B, Shtifman A, Yan X, Walsh K, Natarajan M, Kishore R, Goukassian DA. TNF-TNFR2/p75 signaling inhibits early and increases delayed nontargeted effects in bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells J Biol Chem 2015 Nov;289(20):17148--27014. Krishnan M, Jaganathan P, Roman L, Reddick R, Natarajan M, van Haperen R, Habib S, de Crom R, and Mohan S. Enhancing eNOS activity with simultaneous inhibition of IKKβ restores vascular function of Ins2Akita /- type-1 diabetic mice Lab Investigation (Nature Publishing Group) 2015 Oct;:1-13. Coleman MA, Sarath S, Onufrak J, Natarajan M, Manickam K, Schwab J, Peterson LE, Alekseyev Y, Yan X and Goukassian DA. Delayed Cardiomyocyte Response to Total Body Particle Radiation Exposure ? Identification of Regulatory Gene Network American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulation Physiology 2015 Aug;. Suresh Kumar MA, Peluso M, Chaudhary P, Dhawan J, Beheshti A, Manickam K, Thapar U, Pena L, Natarajan M, Hlatky L, Demple B, Naidu M. Fractionated Radiation Exposure of Rat Spinal Cords Leads to Latent Neuro-Inflammation in Brain, Cognitive Deficits, and Alterations in Apurinic Endonuclease 1 PLoS One 2015 Jul;10(7):0133016-0133016. Khan FH, Pandian V, Ramraj S, Natarajan M, Aravindan S, Herman TS, Aravindan N. Acquired genetic alterations in tumor cells dictate the development of high-risk neuroblastoma and clinical outcomes BMC Cancer 2015 Jul;10(15). Khan FH, Pandian V, Ramraj S, Aravindan S, Herman TS, Natarajan M, Aravindan N. Reorganization of metastamiRs in the evolution of metastatic aggressive high-risk neuroblastoma BMC Genomics 2015 Jul;. Natarajan M, Konopinski R, Krishnan M, Roman L, Bera A, Hongying Z, Habib SL, Mohan S. Inhibitor-kappaB kinase attenuates Hsp90-dependent endothelial nitric oxide synthase function in vascular endothelial cells Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2015 Feb;308(8):C673-C683. Nair BC, Krishnan SR, Sareddy GR, Mann M, Xu B, Natarajan M, Hasty P, Brann D, Tekmal RR, Vadlamudi RK. Proline, glutamic acid and leucine-rich protein-1 is essential for optimal p53-mediated DNA damage response Cell Death Differ 2014 May;21(9):1409-1418.
Krishnan SR, Nair BC, Sareddy GR, Roy SS, Natarajan M, Suzuki T, Peng Y, Raj G, Vadlamudi RK. Novel role of PELP1 in regulating chemotherapy response in mutant p53-expressing triple negative breast cancer cells 2015 Mar;:499-13. Natarajan M. TNF-TNFR2/p75 signaling inhibits early and increases delayed nontargeted effects in bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells 2014 May;:14178-14193.