Mark T Nadeau, M.D., M.B.A., FAAFP
Distinguished Teaching Professor
Vice Chair for Residency Education and Residency Director
Family Medicine Residency Program
Mark T. Nadeau, MD, M A. is a professor/clinical and holder of the Leonard G. Paul endowment. He joined the Department of Family and Community Medicine in 2005 after serving 27 years as an Air Force officer. Since primary care is critical to the functioning of our country’s medical system, Dr. Nadeau has devoted most of his career to educating residents and medical students. He earned a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of Massachusetts, so he could teach learners at all levels about the business aspects of medicine. Serving as a Member of the Board of the National Board of Medical Examiners strengthened his ability to evaluate learners’ medical knowledge and patient care skills. He honed his leadership and teaching skills at the Faculty Development Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. As a residency director he has focused on mentoring and advising junior and mid-level faculty, teaching 3rd and 4th year medical students in clinical settings, and facilitating case discussions for preclinical medical students. As the Program Director for the Family Medicine residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Dr. Nadeau helped the program achieve a reputation for exemplary resident scholarly activity. Dr. Nadeau is recognized by The Certifying Commission on Medical Management as a Certified Physician Executive. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians and a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine. He is currently a member of the Family Medicine Review Committee of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. He is a Distinguished Teaching Professor and a Founding Member of the Academy of Educational Scholars at the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine.
- 2005 - MBA - Business - University of Massachusetts
- 1992 - Clinical Fellowship - Faculty Development Fellowship - University of California, San Francisco
- 1985 - Residency - Family Medicine - USAF Regional Hospital Carswell
- 1982 - MD - Medicine - University of Virginia School of Medicine
- 1978 - BA - Chemistry, Economics (High Honors) - University of Virginia
- 7/2017 - Professor/Clinical and Faculty Physician - University of Texas Health Science Center Rio Grande Valley, Family & Community Medicine, Edinburg
- 9/2011 - Professor/ Clinical and Residency Director - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Department of Family and Community Medicine, San Antonio
- 3/2010 - Vice Chair for Residency Education, Department of Family and Community Medicine - UTHSCSASan Antonio
- 6/2006 - Residency Program Director - UTHSCSA, Family & Community Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 9/2015 - Present, Frontera de Salud, UTHSCSA
- 9/2012 - Present, Synthesis Case Review
- 8/2011 - Present, College Student physics course, Rockhurst University
- 9/2010 - Present, Individual Instruction, UTHSCSA
- 7/2009 - Present, Pharmacy Student Outpatient Clinical Instruction, University of the Incarnate Word
- 8/2008 - Present, Online Ethics Discussion with residents, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 8/2007 - Present, Residency Core Curriculum Conferences, UTHSCSA
- 7/2007 - Present, Supervision and clinical instruction of PharmD students on the Family Medicine Inpatient team, University of the Incarnate Word
- 9/2006 - Present, Supervision and clinical instruction of Podiatry students on the Family Medicine Inpatient team, UTHSCSA
- 6/2006 - Present, Individual Instruction, UTHSCSA
- 6/2006 - Present, Individual Instruction, Clinical Evaluation Exercise
- 9/2005 - Present, Inpatient Teaching of Residents and Medical Students- 4-6 weeks per year, University Hospital
- 9/2005 - Present, Outpatient Clinical Teaching of Residents, University Health Center Downtown
- 9/2005 - Present, Sub-internship in Family Practice In-patient Serv Selective, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2005 - Present, Family Health Care-uhc Downtown, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2005 - Present, Office Procedures, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2005 - Present, Family Practice Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
Funding Agency DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES Title Residency Training In Primary Care Status Active Period 8/2009 - 8/2112 Role Principal Investigator Grant Detail Congruent with HRSA?s mission to improve and expand access to quality health care for all, the purpose of this grant is to train faculty and residents in methods to improve the quality of clinic-based preventive health services to address premature mortality in a medically underserved Latino community. Funding Agency Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Title Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services - Delivery System Reform Incentive Payments (DSRIP) Residency Expansion Project Status Active Period 10/2012 - 3/2017 Role Principal Investigator Grant Detail This project will increase the number of primary care physicians trained in San Antonio by increasing the size of the UTHSCSA Family Medicine Residency. DSRIP funds are allocated as an incentive to innovative programs related to health care reform.
Laura P Houston; Hsin-Yi (Janey) Wang; Mark T. Nadeau
. Game Up for Family Fitness: The Effect of Family Group Visits on Obese Children?s BMI STFM Annual Conference, San Antonio TX. May 2014. Published in: http://www.stfm.org/Conferences/ AnnualSpringConference/PastConferences/PastAbstracts,Brochures,Hando; 2014 May.
Alba KM, Rogriguez M, Nadeau MT. Vulvovaginitis, Estrogen Deficient. In: Baldor RA, Golding J, Stephens MB. The 5-Minute Clinical Consult. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2018. Urbi RB, Nunez, OL, Nadeau MT. Croup (Laryngotracheobronchitis). In: Baldor RA, Golding J, Stephens MB. The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2019. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2018.
Chavez, CH. Headache-Diagnosis (chapter) Essential Evidence Plus Hoboken NJ: John Wiley and Sons; 2017 Feb. Barbara Kiersz, DO; Stacy Obeigde, PsyD, MS; Mark Nadeau, MD, MBA,. Promoting Wellness in a Family Medicine Residency Program Leawood KS: Society of Teachers of Family Medicine; 2016 Sep. Nadeau MT
De Los Santos RA. Headache-Diagnosis (chapter) Essential Evidence Plus Hoboken NJ: John Wiley and Sons; 2016 Apr. Lowe M, Donaldson N, Spiro A, Gosselin C, Nadeau M. Fiber Optics in Medicine Module. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2015 655 K Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001-2399: Association of American Medical Colleges; 2015 Dec. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10292 http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10292 .
Wiemers M, Nadeau M, Tysinger J, Fernandez-Falcon C. Annual Program Review Process: An Enhanced Process with Outcomes Medical Education Online 2018 Oct;23(1):1-6. Nadeau MT, Tysinger JW, Wiemers MR. A Case-Based Approach for Teaching Professionalism to Residents with Online Discussions Journal of Advances in Medical Education & Professionalism 2016 Jan;4(1). Otiniano ME, Wood, RC, Poursani RS, Katerndahl DA, Siddiqui S, Nadeau MT. Association of Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors for Colon Cancer Screening in Hispanic Patients Journal of Ethnicity and Disease 2013 Jun;23(3):343-348. Nadeau MT, Tysinger JW. The Annual Program Review of Effectiveness: A Process Improvement Approach Family Medicine 2012 Jan;44(1):32-38.
- 1985 - American Board of Family Medicine