Deborah L Mueller, M.D.
Professor / Clinical
Dr. Mueller completed a bachelor’s degree in Biology at the University of South Carolina and obtained her medical degree at the Medical University of South Carolina. She completed her active duty Air Force general surgery residency at Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio TX followed by a fellowship in surgical critical care at UT Southwestern in Dallas TX. Dr. Mueller then returned to Wilford Hall Medical Center as a faculty member from 1998-2007 where she held the positions of Medical Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Vice Chairman for the Department of General Surgery, and Director of Surgical Research. She also participated extensively in trauma and disaster training for surgeons on five different continents. Dr. Mueller deployed in support of Operation Allied Force and Operation Enduring Freedom. In 2007, she transitioned to the Air Force Reserves and joined the faculty at UTHSCSA. In 2013 she retired from the Air Force at the rank of Colonel after 25 years of service. Her research interests include blood transfusion, ventilator-associated pneumonia, enterocutaneous fistulas, complex abdominal wall reconstruction, and pediatric trauma.
- 1992 - MD - Medicine - Medical University of South Carolina
- 1988 - BS - Biology - University of South Carolina
- Internship - General Surgery - Wilford Hall Medical Center
- Clinical Fellowship - Surgical Critical Care - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Parkland Memorial Hospital
- Residency - General Surgery - Wilford Hall Medical Center
- 9/2007 - Associate Professor/Clinical - UTHSCSA, Surgery, San Antonio
- 12/2005 - Medical Staff - University Hospital SystemsSan Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 1/2014 - Present, Trauma Nursing Fellowship, University Health System
- 2/2013 - Present, Surgical Internship Readiness Elective, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2007 - Present, Individual Instruction, UT Health, Dept of Surgery
- 9/2007 - Present, Trauma/Emergency Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2007 - Present, Surgical Critical Care, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2007 - Present, Surgery Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2007 - Present, High School/Junior High School Student Supervision, UT Health
- 9/2007 - Present, Trauma Surgery Morbidity and Mortality Conference, UTHSCSA
- 7/1998 - Present, Mobile Field Surgery Team Element Leader, Lackland AFB, TX
- 5/1998 - Present, Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Southwest Texas Regional Advisory Council (STRAC)
Pizarro P, Murdock AD, Mueller DL,. Wearable Device Measuring Energy Expenditure in Critically Ill Patients Has Less Variability and is Comparable to Indirect Caloriometry. Accepted for a poster presentation at the 2011 Society of Critical Care Meeting; 2010 Dec. (Critical Care Medicine; vol. 38, no. 12).
Mueller DL, Walter B. Sepsis in the ICU New York: PocketMedicine.com, Inc.,; 2004 Jan.
Alarhayem A, Myers J, Dent D, Liao L, Muir M, Mueller D, Nicholson S, Cestero R, Johnson M, Stewart R, O?Keefe G, Eastridge B. Time is the enemy: Mortality in trauma patients with hemorrhage from torso injury occurs long before the ?golden hour? Am J Surg 2016 Dec;212(6):1101-1105. Hale DF, Fitzpatrick CM, Doski JJ, Stewart RM, Mueller DL. Absence of clinical findings reliably excludes unstable cervical spine injuries in children 5 years or younger J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2015 May;78(5):943-948. Hassan SF, Cohn SM, Admire J, Nunez-Cantu O, Arar Y, Myers JG, Dent DL, Eastridge BJ, Cestero RF, Gunst M, Markowski H, Keric N, Liao L, Mueller DL. Natural History and Clinical Implications of Nondepressed Skull Fracture in Young Children J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2014 Jul;77(1):166-169. Cheatham,ML; Demetriades,D; Fabian,TC; Kaplan,MJ; Miles,WS; Schreiber,MA; Holcomb,JB; Bochicchio,G; Sarani,B; Rotondo,MF.
Mueller,DL(Study Investigator UTHSCSA). Prospective Study Examining Clinical Outcomes Associated with a Negative Pressure Wound Therapy System and Baker`s Vacuum Packing Technique World Journal of Surgery 2013 Sep;37(9):2018-2030. Bini JK, Cohn SM, Acosta, SM, McFarland, MJ, Muir, MT, Michalek JE, TRISAT Clinical Trials Group (Mueller D, member of investigative team). Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs Annals of Surgery 2011 Apr;253(4):791-797. Stewart RM, Geoghegan K, Myers JG, Sirinek KR, Corneille MG, Mueller D, Dent DL, Wolf SE, Pruitt BA. Malpractice Risk and Cost are Significantly Reduced After Tort Reform J Am Coll Surg 2011 Apr;212(4):463-467.
- American Board of Surgery/Surgical Critical Care
- American Board of Surgery