Departments & Divisions
Veronica Armijo-Garcia, M.D.
- 2009 - Clinical Fellowship - Pediatric Critical Care - University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2005 - Residency - Pediatrics - University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2002 - MD - Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1997 - BS - Biology (Divisional Honors) - University of Texas
- 9/2017 - Associate Professor / Clinical and Associate Professor of Medicine - Department of Pediatrics/Division of Critical Care/UT Health San Antonio
- 7/2016 - PICU Fellowship Director - UT Health, Pediatrics
- 10/2015 - Medical Director, ECMO & Advanced Technologies Program - University Hospital
- 7/2009 - Hospital Staff Physician - University Hospital, Pediatrics, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 7/2016 - Present, Individual Instruction
- 1/2015 - Present, Pediatric Critical Care Board Review Boot Camp, UTHSCSA
- 11/2013 - Present, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Attending Physician: University Hospital, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio/University Hospital
- 7/2013 - Present, Individual Instruction, UTHSCSA
- 1/2013 - Present, CVICU attending at University Hospital, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio/University Hospital
- 10/2012 - Present, Division of Pediatric Critical Care ECMO Didactic and Simulation Course, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 7/2012 - Present, UTHSCSA Pediatric Intensive Care Clinical Bootcamp, UTHSCSA
- 1/2012 - Present, Individual Instruction, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 7/2009 - Present, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Simulation Course, UTHSCSA
- 7/2009 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Children`s Hospital
Research & Grants
Abuse Head Trauma Study: Prediction Rule For AHT Implementation, This study will evaluate the implementation of a clinical prediction rule. We are currently awaiting further instruction from the primary investigator while making an assessment of site interest in participation in the study. I have secured the invested from the Division of Child Abuse. 01/2015 - Present, Role is Principal Investigator. This is a joint collaboration between Penn State University and UT Health San Antonio. We are pending submission for this grant.
*Armijo-Garcia V. DON’T SINK THE SHIP BEFORE IT SAILS: WHEN ANCHORING LEADS TO DIAGNOSTIC ERROR 2018 Jan. (Critical Care Medicine; vol. 46, no. 1).
*Armijo-Garcia V Ruiz J. The Effects of Hypertriglyceridemia on Plasma Free Hemoglobin Levels and ECMO Support Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011 Dec. (Critical Care Medicine; vol. 39, no. 12).
*Armijo-Garcia V. BEST PRACTICES IN MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION: A CURRICULAR MODULE FOR PEDIATRIC INTENSIVISTS (Critical Care Medicine; vol. 48, no. 1).
*Armijo-Garcia V. Child Abuse and Neglect In: Armijo-Garcia v. Comprehensive Pediatric Critical Care. 2012.
*Matteo Di Nardo, Veronica Armijo-Garcia and Curt Froehlich. Guidelines for the management of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) in pediatric patients with immunocompromised conditions for respiratory and/or cardiac failure
Armijo-Garcia V, Gow K, Paden M. Guidelines for ECLS in Patients with Malignancies
*Armijo-Garcia V. Extracorporeal Life Support in Pediatric Patients with Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia and Associated Pulmonary Hypertension ASAIO Journal 2020 Feb
*Armijo-Garcia V. Racial and Ethnic Disparities and Bias in the Evaluation and Reporting of Abusive Head Trauma The Journal of Pediatrics 2019 Jul;198
*Hancock S, Froehlich C, Armijo-Garcia V, Meyer AD.. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support in individuals with thoracic insufficiency. Perfusion 2018 Nov;33(8):696-698.
Hymel KP, Armijo-Garcia V, Foster R, Frazier TN, Stoiko M, Christie LM, Harper MS, Weeks K, Carroll PH, Sirotnak A, Truemper E, Ornstein AE, Wand M. Validation of a Clinical Prediction Rule for Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma Online version released early Pediatrics 2014 Dec;134(6):1537-1544ab.
*Ruiz, Julia. Armijo-Garcia V.. The Effects of Hypertriglyceridemia on Plasma Free Hemoglobin Levels and Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support ICU Director 2012 Jul;3(4):176-178.
*Kent P. Hymel, MD. Douglas F. Willson, MD. Stephen C. Boos, MD. Deborah A. Pullin, BSN, APRN. Karen Homa, PhD. Douglas J. Lorenz, PhD. Bruce E. Herman, MD. Jeanine M. Graf, MD. Veronica Armijo-Garcia, MD. Sandeep K. Narang, MD, JD. For the Pediatric Brain Injury Research Network (PediBIRN) Investigators . Derivation of a Clinical Prediction Rule for Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma Pediatric Critical Care Medicine 2012.
Magdaleno SM, Wang G, Mireles VL, Ray MK, Finegold MJ, DeMayo FJ, Armijo-Mireles V. Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor expression in pulmonary Clara cells transformed with SV40 large T antigen in transgenic mice. Cell Growth Differ 1997 Feb;8(2):145-155.
Ziari SA, Mireles VL, Cantu CG, Cervantes M, Idrisa A, Bobsom D, Tsin AT, Glew RH, Armijo-Mireles V. Serum vitamin A, vitamin E, and beta-carotene levels in preeclamptic women in northern Nigeria. Am J Perinatol 1996 Jul;13(5):287-291.
ELSO Guidelines for Pediatric Patients with Pediatric Malignancy, Based on my work in this category of ECLS care and a previous collaborative effort for ELSO guidelines, I was asked to write Guidelines for Pediatric Patients with Malignancy Requiring ECMO Support. Preliminary guidelines were written in collaboration with Dr. Kenneth Gow (Seattle Children‘s) and are currently in review by the ELSO website editors. 09/2014 to Present.