Nancy McGowan, PhD, RN, CEN
I am involved in both undergraduate and graduate teaching. I have taught Health Assessment on both the graduate and undergraduate level, as well as a number of clinical settings. I am a strong believer in being a student advocate and allowing the student to recognize that "we" will conquer the material as a team. I also strongly believe that nursing education should not be an onerous task, but rather one that can be filled with humor, empathy and wonder.
- 2001 - Doctor of Philosophy - Nursing - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1992 - Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing - George Mason University
- 1981 - Bachelor of Science - Nursing - George Mason University
- 1975 - Bachelor of Arts - History - Colorado State University
Licensures and Certification
- Registered Nurse (Texas)
- Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN)
Honors and Awards
- 2016, William F. Castella Professorship in Aging Research
- 2015, Amy Shelton and V.H. McNutt Distinguished Professorship in Nursing in Honor
- 2011 - present - Associate Professor / Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2004 - 2011 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Instruction & Training
- 201 7 - 2019 , NURS 5338 Pathophysiology for APN, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2002 - 2019, NURS 5306 Theoretical Foundations for Advanced Nursing Practice, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2018, NURS 3309 PATHOPHYSIOLOGY, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2018, NURS 3310 Health Assessment Clinical Application, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2014 - 2018, NURS 3273 Health Assessment & Promotion: Clinical Applications, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2013 - 2018, NURS 3272 Health Assessment and Promotion: Theoretical, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2017, NURS 3110 Health Assessments: Clinical Assessments, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2017, NURS 6110 Advanced Health Assessment and Clinical Reasoning: Clinical Application, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2016, NURS 3303 Concepts of Professional Nursing, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2013 - 2016, NURS 3204 Health Assessments: Theoretical Foundations, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Research & Grants
- 2012 - 2015, Funding Agency: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Title: Emergency/Trauma Care Nursing Specialization Program. Status: Active. Role: Principal Investigator. % Effort: 5. Total Costs: $158,973.00. Grant Detail: Establish an advance nursing practice program that will focus on trauma systems in collaboration with UTHSCSA and the UT Hospital Trauma Center.
- 2011 - 2013, Funding Agency: American Nurses‘ Foundation. Project #: 151600. Title: Toward a Better Understanding of Readmissions for Elderly Stroke Survivors. Status: Complete. Role: Co-Investigator % Effort: 5. Total Costs: $25,000.00. Grant Detail: The purpose of this mixed-methods study is to identify patient/caregiver and health care system factors that are associated with readmission for older adult stroke survivors in the initial 6 months following a stroke. Through a better appreciation of the factors associated with readmission, including the perspectives of both the stroke survivor and family caregiver and how the current system of care is addressing their needs, we will be positioned to implement and evaluate changes to the system of care to improve outcomes for older adults with stroke and their families.
- 2017 – 2020 UT Health San Antonio Conflict of Interest, Member
- 2016 – 2018 UT Health San Antonio Master's Curriculum Committee Member of working committee that assisted in the CCNE report due for the visit in 2018.
- 2016 – 2020 UT Health San Antonio SON Promotion, Tenure and Appointments Committee – Member
- 2015 – 2016 UT Health San Antonio Search Committee for Assistant Dean for both Graduate & Undergraduate Studies. Functioned as Chair, assisted by a search firm.
- 2014 – 2015 UT Health San Antonio Faculty Assembly Secretary. Functioned as the Secretary for Faculty Assembly, transcribing minutes, assisting the Chair of Faculty Assembly as necessary.
- 2014 UT Health San Antonio Search Committee for "Success Center" Coordinator, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, School of Nursing. Member of Search Committee for new director of Student Success Center. This consisted of interviews, and review of CV‘s.
- 2013 – 2015 UT Health San Antonio Physical Safety Committee, Member
Service to the Profession
- 2013 – present, Peer Review, The PREC (Peer Review Education Committee) of Member the Emergency Nurses Association reviews applications for continuing education offerings throughout the United States
- 2015, Spring 2015 Class Advisor, Traditional Nursing Class of Spring 2015.
- 2014 – 2016, Administrative Advisory Council
- 2008 – 2013, Editor, Journal of Emergency Nursing editor, Editor of "Evidence Based Practice" section of the Journal of Emergency Nursing.
- 2013 – 2014, UT Health San Antonio, SON Faculty Assembly Secretary.
- 2011 – 2014, UT Health San Antonio, Nancy Girard Chair Committee, Member
- 2011 – 2013, UT Health San Antonio, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Awards Committee, Member (GSBS)
- 2017 – present, Army Nurse Corps Association
- 2016 – present, American Nurses Association
- 2004 – 2006, Public Relations Committee member
- 2000 – present, Southern Nursing Research Society
- 1990 – present, Emergency Nurses Association (ENA)
- 1981 – 2003, American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN)
- 1981 - present, Sigma Theta Tau Honorary Society for Nursing
- McGowan N. Evidence Based Practice: The Debate. Journal of Emergency Nursing 2010 Nov;(47):71-72
- McGowan, N. Navigation through the myriad of available journals. Journal of Emergency Nurses. 2009;36(1):63-64
- Arndt, R.M. & McGowan, N. Library and information literacy. Journal of Emergency Nursing 2009;315(4):360-362
- McGowan, N. The recognition and treatment of amyloidosis in the critical care patient. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing 2006;215(4):161-165
- McGowan, N. What‘s wrong with this patient? Primary systemic amyloidosis. RN 69(11) 2006:37-40
- Keller, C. S. & McGowan. Examination of the processes of change, decisional balance, self-efficacy for smoking and the stages of change in Mexican-American women Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research 2001;2(4):1-31
- McGowan, N. Surgery and Smoking Seminars in Perioperative Nursing: vulnerable Populations 8 1999;8(3):146-155
- Anderson, S., Keller, C. S. & McGowan, N. Smoking cessation: the state of the science. The utility of the Transtheoretical Model (TTM) in guiding interventions in smoking cessation. The Online Journal of Knowledge Synthesis for Nursing 1999
- McGowan, PhD, CEN, RN N. What's wrong with this patient? RN 2006 Nov;69(11):37-40
- McGowan, PhD, CEN, RN N. Basic Nursing Fundamentals: Connections in Care In: Missing Book Title. Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Company; 2011
- Williams, L.S. & Hopper, P.D. Promotion, Health and Wellness. In: Understanding Medical-Surgical Nursing, 4th Edition. Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis; 2008
- Peterson, S.J. & Bredow, T.S. Middle range theories: application to nursing research In: Book Review. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2006
- Gaviola, S. My pocket mentor: a health care professional‘s guide to Success In: Thomson/Delmar Learning. (Reviewer). 2005
- Gaviola, S. Instructor‘s Manual to accompany my pocket mentor: a Health care professional‘s guide to success In: Thomson Delmar Learning. (Reviewer). Clifton Park, N.Y.: 2005
- McGowan, N. Book Review of Fundamentals of Nursing: Standards and Practice by Delaune. Sigma Theta Tau Book Review Service. In: Doody Book Review Service Web page (http://www.doddy.com). 2002
- McGowan, PhD, CEN, RN N. Sheehy's Manual of Emergency Care (8th Ed.) Chapter: Geriatric Emergencies In: Nancy McGowan, RN, PhD, CEN. Geriatric Emergencies. Emergency Nurses Association: Emergency Nurses Association;
- Chapter in "Sheehy's Emergency Nursing Principles and Practice". Wrote a chapter on Geriatric Emergencies for the latest edition of "Sheehy's Emergency Nursing Principles and Practice" for the Emergency Nurses Association. This book is used extensively for emergency department nurses in preparing for the Emergency Nurses certification exam (CEN)
- 2012, Use of inhalants by adolescents, Emergency Nurses Association (San Antonio), Emergency Nurses Association, San Antonio Emergency Nurses Association, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2012, Use of Inhalants by Middle School Students, North East School Nurses, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2018, The New and Hidden Dangers of E-Cigarettes, San Antonio Emergency Nurses Association, Monthly meeting, Emergency Nurses Association, San Antonio, TX (Sole Presenter)
Peer-reviewed Articles (*indicates data-based)
Non-Peer-reviewed Articles (i. e. editorials, news articles, etc.)
Invited Podium Presentations
Peer Reviewed Podium Presentations