Jorge E Lopera, M.D.
Dr. Lopera completed his Medical School and Radiology Residency training in Medellin, Colombia. He completed two years of Interventional Radiology fellowship training at Louisiana State University in New Orleans. He is certified by the American Board of Radiology in Diagnostic Radiology and in Interventional Radiology. Dr. Lopera is a Fellow of the Society of Interventional Radiology. His main interests are the treatment of liver tumors, peripheral vascular interventions, treatment of Arterio-venous malformations (AVMs) and dialysis related interventions.
- 1999 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Clinical Rotation - University of Ulsan College of Medicine
- 1997 - Clinical Fellowship - Fellowship-Cardio Vasc/Interventional Radiology - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- 1996 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Visiting Fellowship - University of Ulsan College of Medicine
- 1995 - Residency - Radiology - Hospital Universitario San Vicente de Paul Universidad de Antioquia
- 1992 - Residency - House Officer - Emergency Department - Clinica Medellin
- 1991 - Residency - Rural Social Service - Hospital San Rafael
- 1989 - MD - Doctor of Medicine - Instituto de Ciencias de la Salud
- Internship - Multi-Specialty - Hospital General de Medellin
- 6/2007 - Professor and Chief of Vascular Interventional Radiology - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Radiology, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 1/2005 - Present, Undergraduate, Graduate, Resident, Fellow, Post-doctoral Instruction
- 1/2005 - Present, Special Clinical Rounds
Lopera JE, Garza-Berlanga A, Kroma G, SURI R. BRTO for bleeding gastric varices: Review of complications and how to avoid them; 2016 Feb. (Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (Supplement); vol. 3Supp). Lopera JE, Kroma G, GARZA-BERLANGA A, Suri R, Wholey M. Use of Cone Beam CT for Complex Biliary Interventions; 2015 Feb. (Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (Supplement); vol. 26, no. 2Supl). Chamarthy M, Suri R, Kroma G. Garza-Berlanga A, Lopera JE. Correlation of Treatment Response Pathological Respnse in Explanted Livers DEB-TACE and Interstitial Ablation Treatments for HCC; 2015 Jan. (Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology; vol. 26, no. 2 sup). Haq A, Heeter Z, Lopera JE, Suri R, Garza-Berlanga A, Kroma G. Mesocaval Shunt Creation by Interventional Radiology. Percutaneous and Endovascular Approaches in an Illustrated case base Review; 2015 Jan. (Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology; vol. 26, no. 2 sup).
Lopera JE, GARZA-BERLANGA AE, Kroma G, Suri R, Walker JA. Microwave Ablation for HCC: Single Center 4-Year Experience with Long Term Follow-Up Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 2018 Jan;27(3). Lopera JE, Hegg R, Gready E, Kroma G, GARZA-BERLANGA AE, Suri R. Complex Biliary Interventions: Percutaneous Small Bowel Access Confirmation with Cone Beam CT and Retrograde Biliary Obstruction Recanalization Gastrointestinal Intervention 2017 Jul;6(2):140-144.
Restrepo C, Lopera JE. Infarto suprarenal postobliteracion venosa retrograda : reporte de un caso Intervencionismo 2017 Jan;71(1):34-38. Lopera J, Restrepo Cb, Heeter Zc, Smith Sd. Optimizing deployment tilt in the Option? IVC filter using an in vitro model:: deployment maneuvers Intervencionismo 2016 Jan;16(4):17-23. Lopera JE , de Gregorio MA , Laborda A, Castano R. Enteral stents: Complications and their management Gastrointestinal Intervention 2016 Jan;5(2):138-148. Lopera JE. Articulated percutaneous plastic biliary stents: How to do it Gastrointestinal Intervention 2016 Jan;5(1):60-66. Liao LF, Eastridge BJ, Myers JG. "Blush at first sight": significance of computed tomographic and angiographic discrepancy in patients with blunt abdominal trauma Am J Surg 2015 Dec;210(6):1104-1110.
- American Board of Radiology
- American Board of Radiology/Vascular & Interventional Radiology