Departments & Divisions
Ya-Guang Liu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor/ Research
I am a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at UTHSCSA. Dr. Liu obtained MD from University of South China in 1988, MS of Nephrology in 1993 and PhD in 1998 in Nephrology and Clinical Immunology from Sun Yat-sen University in 1993. I was trained as post-doctoral fellow in Emory from 2000 to 2003 and in UT Health San Antonio from 2004 to 2005. My research interests have been involved in molecular pathogenesis of common diseases including breast cancer, stem cells, senescence, endometriosis, autoimmune disease and kidney disease. My current research is focusing on molecular mechanisms underlying the transition of acute kidney injury (AKI) to chronic kidney disease (CKD), especially studies on pathology of atrophic tubule and fibrosis. I am experienced in high throughput technologies like RNA-seq, ChIP-seq and microfluidic-based assays along with new gene target technology like TALEN and CRISPR/Cas9 coupled with PiggyBac gene transfer and auxin-inducible degron system. I succeeded in development of a cytokine array and a CD44 variant array. I have extensive experience in the establishment of various vectors, gene regulation systems, cell lines and transgenic mice including recently renal tubular specifically inducible RRM2B mouse and CRISPR/Cas9-based RRM2B floxed knockin mouse. Our primary approach is to develop innovative cell lines and animal models in connection with omics technologies. Our long-term goal is to enhance better understand of stem cells and senescence development and behaviors in kidney disease and aging-related diseases.
- 2005 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Tumor Biology/Pathogenesis of Endometriosis - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2003 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Tumor Biology/Proteomics in OB/GYN - Emory University School of Medicine
- 1998 - PhD - Nephrology and Clinical Immunology - Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences
- 1996 - Clinical Fellowship - Internal Medicine (Nephrology, Autoimmune Dis) - The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences
- 1993 - Residency - Internal Medicine - First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen Univ Med Sciences
- 1993 - MS - Nephrology - Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences
- 1990 - Residency - Internal Medicine - Xiangtan First People`s Hospital of Hengyang Medical College
- 1988 - MD - Medicine (Summa Cum Magna) - Hengyang Medical College ( University of South China)
- 2/2012 - Assistant Professor/Research - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio