Departments & Divisions
Kelly C Lemke, D.D.S., M.S.
Assistant Professor, Clinical
Dr. Lemke is the Director of Admissions at the School of Dentistry, where she also leads the curriculum track ‘Introduction to Patient Care’ and teaches evidence-based practice in the both the School of Dentistry and the School of Health Professions. She has authored a book chapter on strategies for teaching this material with the aim of enabling graduates to keep up to date over their careers, to provide effective care, and to achieve better outcomes. A key aspect of this training is mentored student authorship of Critically Appraised Topics (CATs) in which students apply evidence-based and critical thinking skills to focused clinical questions. The online searchable library of these Critically Appraised Topics provides students, faculty, practitioners, and the public with rapid, up-to-date evidence-based answers to clinical questions.
Upon her appointment to UT Health San Antonio in 2014, she obtained a master’s degree in Clinical Investigations. Her research focused on the effectiveness of nanohydroxyapatite (nHAP) in various formulations for the relief of dentin hypersensitivity.
She is one of several Associate Editors for the Journal of the American Dental Association.
- 2017 - MS - Clinical Investigations - UTHSCSA Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- 1995 - DDS (Summa Cum Laude) - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 1991 - BS - Biomedical Science (Summa Cum Laude) - Texas A&M University
- 1996 - General Practice Residency - Audie L. Murphy VA Hospital, San Antonio, Texas
2020 Faculty of the Year Award, San Antonio District Dental Society
Omicron Kappa Upsilon dental honor society
- 4/2019 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, Dept. of Developmental Dentistry
- 3/2014 - Instructor/Research - UT Health San Antonio, Dept. of Developmental Dentistry
- 1/2014 - Editor - ITI International Team for Implantology, ITI Academy, Basel
Instruction & Training
- 8/2018 - Present, DIPC 6002 2nd Year Patient Care Foundations, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
- 8/2018 - Present, DIPC 5001 Patient Care Foundations, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
- 8/2018 - Present, DHHD 6010 Patient-Centered Oral Health Care: Behavioral, Ethical, and Evidence-Based Dentistry, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
- 9/2014 - Present, MSDS 5090 Research Methodology and Evidence-Based Practice, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
- 8/2017 - Present, MLSC 6003 Evidence-Based Practice in Medical Lab Sciences, UT Health San Antonio School of Health Professions
- 7/2018 - Present, GEND 8078 General Dentistry Seminar, UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry
Research & Grants
Upon appointment to UT Health San Antonio in 2014, Dr. Lemke obtained a master’s degree in Clinical Investigations, during which her research focused on the effectiveness of nanohydroxyapatite (nHAP) in various formulations for the relief of dentin hypersensitivity.
- Curriculum Commitee 1-2, School of Dentistry (Chair)
- Curriculum Commitee 3-4, School of Dentistry
- MS in Clinical Investigation and Translational Science Committee on Graduate Studies (COGS)
- Linking Interprofessional Networks for Collaboration (LINC) Didactic IPE Initiative
Service to the Profession
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA)
- San Antonio District Dental Society (Editor)
- Texas Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- American Dental Education Association
- Amaechi BT, Lemke KC, Saha S, Luong MN, Gelfond J. Clinical efficacy of nanohydroxyapatite-containing toothpaste at relieving
- Amaechi BT, Lemke KC, Saha S, Gelfond J. Clinical efficacy in relieving dentin hypersensitivity of nanohydroxyapatite-contain
- Lemke KC. Key tips in communicating evidence in the clinical setting. J Michigan Dent Assoc. 2020.102(6).44-51.
Lemke KC, Velasquez ST, Bland L, et al. Simulation interprofessional education in health professions education: A scoping review protocol. JBI Evid Synth. [In Press; accepted April 2021].
Lemke K, Ford L, Atjai R et al. Dental Participation in Simulation-Based Interprofessional Education: A Scoping Review. Poster presented at: American Dental Education Association Annual Session, Virtual, March 13, 2021.
Straub-Morarend CL, Gold J, Lemke KC, et al. Strategies for Teaching Evidence Based Dentistry In: How to Use Evidence-Based Dental Practices to Improve Your Clinical Decision-Making. Chicago, IL: American Dental Association; 2020: 239-254.
Rugh JD, Lemke KC. Finding Up-to-Date Answers for Focused Clinical Problems. The UT Critically Appraised Topics (CATs) Library. Int J Evid Based Pract Dent Hyg. 2015; 1(2):77.