Departments & Divisions
Currently seeking M.S. students
Rekha Kar, Ph.D.
Department of Cell Systems and Anatomy - Clinical
Dr. Rekha Kar joined the Department of Cell Systems and Anatomy in 2015. She serves as a lecturer and laboratory instructor in Language of Medicine for 1st-year medical students and is director of the Interprofessional Gross Human Anatomy course for Physical Therapy and Masters in Anatomy students. She, additionally co-directs Clinical Anatomy course for Physician Assistant students. Dr. Kar’s research interests focus on anatomical variations, interprofessional education and integration of innovative educational tools into the existing curriculum.
- 2008 - PhD - Biochemistry - UT Health San Antonio
- 12/2015 - Instructor - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Cell Systems & Anatomy, San Antonio
- 09/2017 - Lecturer II - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Cell Systems & Anatomy, San Antonio
- 06/2019 - Assistant Prfessor/Clinical - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Cell Systems & Anatomy, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 01/2016 - Present, CSBL4005 Advanced Anatomy
- 01/2016 - Present, CIRC 6013 Form and Function: Skin, Muscles & Bones
- 02/2016-Present, CSAT 5022 Interprofessional Human Gross Anatomy
- 02/2016 - 05/2018, CSBL4025 Mentored Anatomy
- 07/2016 - Present, CSBL5074 Intro to Research
- 07/2016 - Present, CIRC 5003 Language of Medicine
- 07/2017 –12/2017, Foundations of Tooth Development, Oral Health and Disease
- 09/2017 -Present, Craniofacial Complex HHD2
- 01/2018 -Present, PHYT 8112 Management of the complex patient
- 03/2018 -2019, DHHD 5004 Biological Foundations
- 03/2018 –Present, CSAT 6100 Anatomy Practicum
- 07/2018, CIRC 6007 Mind, Brain & Behavior
- 01/2019 -Present, CSAT 6060 Anatomical Sciences Thesis
- 05/2019 –Present, PHAS 5044 Clinical Anatomy
- 06/2019 – Present, CSAT 6071 Supervised Teaching
Research & Grants
1. Funding Agency: University of Texas Health San Antonio (LINC office)
Title: Improving Patient Outcome Through Interprofessional Vascular Sonography training
2. Funding Agency: University of Texas Shine Academy
Title: Simplifying a difficult anatomical concept using an integrated 3D model of Pharynx- Larynx
Buch C, Devora CM, Johnson LY, Rahimi OB, Kar R. Incomplete superficial palmar arch and bilateral persistent median artery. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 2019 Apr;58:205-207.
Kar R, Riquelme MA, Hua R and Jiang JX. Glucocorticoid-Induced Autophagy Protects Osteocytes against Oxidative Stress through Activation of MAPK/ERK Signaling. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research Plus (WOA) 2019 Apr; 3(4): 1-6.
Kar R, Devora CM, Barron CI, Bejar KR, Johnson LY, Rahimi OB, Occhialini A. Unilateral persistent sciatic artery. International Journal of Anatomical variations 2018 Jun;11(2):70-72.
Zhou, JZ, Riquelme MA, Gu S, Kar R, Gao X, Sun L-Z, and Jiang JX. Osteocytic Connexin Hemichannels Suppress Breast Cancer Growth and Bone Metastasis. Oncogene 2016 Oct;35(43):5597-5607.
McCammon KM, Panda SP, Xia C, Kim JJ, Moutinho D, Kranendonk M, Auchus RJ, Lafer EM, Ghosh D, Martasek P, Kar R, Masters BS, Roman LJ. Instability of the Human Cytochrome P450 Reductase A287P Variant Is the Major Contributor to Its Antley-Bixler Syndrome-like Phenotype. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2016 Sep;291(39):20487-20502.
Kar R, Kellogg DL 3rd, Roman LJ. (2015) Oxidative stress induces phosphorylation of neuronal NOS in cardiomyocytes through AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015 Apr 10;459(3):393-7.
Riquelme MA, Burra S, Kar R, Lampe PD, Jiang JX. (2015) Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase (MAPK) Activated by Prostaglandin E2 Phosphorylates Connexin 43 and Closes Osteocytic Hemichannels in Response to Continuous Flow Shear Stress. J Biol Chem. 2015 Nov 20;290(47):28321-8.
Batra N, Riquelme MA, Burra S, Kar R, Gu S, Jiang JX. (2014) Direct regulation of osteocytic connexin 43 hemichannels through AKT kinase activated by mechanical stimulation. J Biol Chem. 2014 Apr 11;289(15):10582-91.
Kar R, Riquelme MA, Werner S, Jiang JX. (2013) Connexin 43 channels protect osteocytes against oxidative stress-induced cell death. J Bone Miner Res. 2013 Jul;28(7):1611-21.
Kar R, Batra N, Riquelme MA, Jiang JX. (2012) Biological role of connexin intercellular channels and hemichannels. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2012 Aug 1;524(1):2-15.