Departments & Divisions
Ravi A Karia, M.D.
Department of Orthopaedics
Dr. Karia joined the Department of Orthopaedics as a faculty member in the fall of 2010. Born in Ottawa, Canada and raised in the southern United States, Dr. Karia graduated at the top of his class from Trinity University (2000) with a degree in Business Administration-Finance.
He earned his medical degree from The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2004) in Dallas, Texas where he was awarded the Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholarship for Academic Achievement (2000-2004).
He completed his residency in Orthopaedics at UT Health San Antonio where he was elected to serve as Chief Administrative Resident during his PGY-V year (2008-2009). He continued his training at the Health Science Center by completing a fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma (2010).
Dr. Karia’s clinical interest primarily involves fractures of the pelvis/acetabulum, complex periarticular fractures as well as fracture nonunions/malunions.
His professional activities include an active involvement in resident education and teaching as well as service on multiple university and hospital committees. He is a member of the OTA, AAOS, TOA, TMA, and AMA.
Dr. Karia enjoys golf, traveling, hiking and chasing after his two young boys.
- 2004 - MD - Medicine - University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
- 2000 - BS - Business Administration (Valedictorian/Summa Cum Laude) - Trinity University
- Residency - Orthopaedic Surgery - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Clinical Fellowship - Orthopaedic Trauma - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 9/2019-09/2021 - Division Head and Chief, Division of Orthopaedic Trauma - UTHSCSA, Orthopaedics, San Antonio
- 9/2017 - Vice Chair and Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs - UTHSCSA, Orthopaedics, San Antonio
- 7/2017 - Vice-Chair - UT Health San Antonio, Orthopaedics, San Antonio
- 8/2010 - Associate Professor/Clinical - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Orthopaedics, San Antonio
- 0/92022 - Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 9/2013 - Present, Clinical Skills, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 5/2012 - Present, Orthopaedic Trauma Morning Conference, UTHSCSA
- 8/2010 - Present, Core Curriculum Department of Orthopaedics, UTHSCSA
- 8/2010 - Present, Trauma, Fracture Clinical Care, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
Orthopaedic Trauma - Fellowship trained in the management of the complex, multiply injured orthopaedic trauma patient.
Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures - Fellowship trained in the diagnosis and treatment of complex pelvic and acetabular fractures.
Periarticular Fractures - Fellowship trained in the treatment of complex periarticular fractures.
09/2019- Present Division Chair, Orthopaedic Trauma Division Chief
08/2016 - Present Vice Chair, Clinical Affairs Vice Chair
12/2019-Present Department UHS Clinical Site Director-Orthopaedics Director
09/2019 - Present Hospital Clinic Medical Director Clinic Director
01/2012 - Present Community patient care Medicolegal Consultant Reviewer
Zelle BA, Dang KH, Armstrong CA, Karia RA. Complication rates associated with the Synthes 4.5 mm Variable Angle Locking Compression Distal Femur Plate (VA-LCP); 2018 May. (Proceedings of the European Congress of Trauma & Emergency Surgery).
Karia RA. Mini-Fragment Fixation of a Complex Pilon Fracture- A Case Report Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2019 Jan;.
Karia RA. Talus Fracture Fixation with Headless Screws from a Posterior to Anterior Direction- A Case Report Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2019 Jan;. Karia RA. The Femur- Exposures for Trauma 2018 Jan;.
- 2022 - American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery