Rozmin B. Jiwani, PhD, RN
As a nurse-scientist and APRN, I have a strong clinical background and research expertise in caring for patients with chronic conditions (i.e., cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, frailty) and the pattern of premature morbidity and mortality on individuals’ healthspan and quality of life. This has driven me to pursue a Ph.D. to delve deeper into the impact of these conditions and identify barriers to improving patients' healthspan and lifespan. My research, using both qualitative and quantitative methods, focuses on behavioral lifestyle interventions, incorporating mindfulness and mobile health technology, specifically targeting immigrant populations and vulnerable older adults. I have previously investigated perceptions of illness and coping with coronary artery disease among high-risk South Asians living in the United States, leading to the development of culturally tailored interventions. I have also been recognized as an RL5 Scholar through the San Antonio Claude D. Pepper Center and received a pilot award. Through my RL5 pilot project, I demonstrated the feasibility and effectiveness of lifestyle interventions in improving frailty and type 2 diabetes outcomes in older adults. My ultimate goal is to design interventions that sustain positive behaviors, preventing and reducing the impact of chronic conditions, and ultimately enhancing both health span and lifespan.
- 2013 - Doctor of Philosophy - Nursing - The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2009 - Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing - The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2005 - Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Nursing - The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1993 - DPL - Nursing - The Aga Khan University
Licensures and Certifications
- Adult Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Advance Practice Nursing Adult Medical Surgical Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Registered Nurse (Texas)
Honors and Awards
- 2022 Migliorino-Piccione Research Award
- 2022 Supporting Nursing Research & Scholarship through Enrichment
- 2022, Transformational Leadership Research Award - 3rd Annual Gala of SA Indian Nurses Assoc
- 2020, Rosemary Kerr McKevitt Memorial Research Award
- 2021 - present - Associate Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2021 - present - Research Health Scientist at Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Centers - South Texas Veterans Health Care System
- 2016 - 2021 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2017 - 2020 - Advanced Geriatric Fellow - South Texas Veterans Health Care System
- 2013 - 2016 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, Department of Health Restoration and Care Systems Management
Instruction & Training
- 2016 - 2021, NURS 3272-001 Health Assessment and Promotion: Theoretical Foundations, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2016 - 2021, NURS 3204 Health Assessments: Theoretical Foundations, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2016, NURS 3110 Health Assessments: Clinical Assessments, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2016, NURS 4420 Trans to Professional Nursing Practice, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2015 - 2016 , NURS 6110 Advanced Health Assessment and Clinical Reasoning: Clinical Application, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2015 - 2016 , NURS 6210 Advanced Hlth Assessment & Clinical Reasoning, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2015, NURS 5338, Advance Pathophysiology, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Research & Grants
- Pilot Awards 1. Funder: COLS. PHILIP & JEAN PICCIONE AWARD 2. Funder: Supporting Nursing Research and Scholarship through Enrichment (PURSUE) Faculty Award
- Group-led yoga and mindfulness intervention to improve mental health outcomes in South Asian middle-and older-aged immigrant women: A pilot feasibility study Role: PI
- U19AG065188 Alexander (PI) 04/01/2020-08/01/2026 Pragmatic Evaluation of Events And Benefits of Lipid-lowering in Older Adults (PREVENTABLE) The goal of this randomized controlled trial is to evaluate the benefit and risks of moderate-intensity statins for preventing dementia and prolonging disability-free survival in patients 75 years and older without heart disease. Role: Co-Investigator
- Merit Review Award Veterans Affairs Ryan/Serra (MPI) 07/2023-06/2028 Modifying Adiposity Through Behavioral Strategies to Improve COVID-19 Rehabilitation in Obese Veterans Role: Co-Investigator
- R01 AG052697. Espinoza (PI). 06/01/2017-04/30/2022. Metformin for Preventing Frailty in High Risk Older Adults. The major goal of this study is to test metformin as a novel intervention for the prevention of frailty. We propose that diabetes/insulin resistance and inflammation are major contributors to frailty and that metformin given to modulate diabetes/insulin resistance and inflammation will prevent and/or ameliorate the progression of frailty. Role: Co-Investigator
- Merit Review Award. Veterans Affairs. Ryan/Ortmeyer/Serra (MPI). 07/2020-06/2025. Promotion of Successful Weight Management in Overweight and Obese Veterans. This study will examine the impact of intermittent fasting to promote long-term body weight maintenance following successful weight loss in overweight and obese Veterans. Role: Co-Investigator
- ThriveWell Cancer Foundation. Patel (PI). 01/2019-2024. A pilot, open label randomized controlled trial of exercise ± creatine supplementation to augment the adaptations of exercise training in breast cancer survivors completing chemotherapy. Role: Co-Investigator
- Claude D. Pepper Center Pilot Award (NIA), Jiwani (PI). 09/2019-Present. Effect of Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention on Frailty in Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Study. Role: PI
- Sigma Theta Tau Research Grant, Jiwani (PI), 12/01/11-7/01/13. This grant supported my dissertation. Illness Perceptions, Coping Behaviors, and Appraisal of South Asian Immigrants with Coronary Artery Disease: A Mixed Methods Study. Role: PI
- Academic Affairs Research Grant from UTHSCSA, Jiwani (PI), 12/01/11-7/01/13. This grant supported my dissertation. Illness Perceptions, Coping Behaviors, and Appraisal of South Asian Immigrants with Coronary Artery Disease: A Mixed Methods Study. Role: PI. Nursing Advisory Council Research Grant from UTHSCSA, Jiwani (PI), 07/01/15-1/01/16. The goal is to conduct an integrative review to aggregate important measures on the impact of multiple behavioral lifestyle interventions, especially culturally tailored, to reduce or prevent cardiovascular disease risk factors in the South Asian population. Role: PI
Educational Grant/ Clinical Demonstration Project
- 2021 - present VIONE – as a multidisciplinary team, we offer a systematic approach to improve medication management with an emphasis on deprescribing nonessential medications across various health care settings, facilitating Veterans Health Administration efforts toward zero harm.
- 2021 - present GRECC Connect – a virtual program that aims to improve access to geriatric care for Veterans in rural areas. This project links geriatrics specialists from GRECCs (Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Centers) with rural areas through clinical videos telehealth, electronic consultations, and educational teleconferences to bridge the gap. I conduct comprehensive geriatric assessments over the phone and initiate appropriate referrals for the veterans (i.e., PT, OT, social worker, palliative care, etc.).
- 2021 - present Gerofit – a program promoting exercise and health for older veterans to stay active by using a variety of strength and aerobic exercises. Participants in the program have demonstrated improved health, mental, and physical function, and well-being.
- 10/2018 - 01/2019 I contributed to a GRECC-funded clinical demonstration project to develop educational modules about congestive heart failure for patients and caregivers to reduce unnecessary hospital readmissions.
- 2021 - presentTeaching 12-lead EKG interpretation to exercise physiologist and dieticians (Dr. Monica Serra’s research team at South Texas VA)
2017-present Annual Speaker to Medical Students Training in Ageing Research (MSTAR) from UT Health San Antonio (UTHSA). I presented “History and Protection of Human Subjects in Research”
- 2016 – 2021, Mentored Faculty Members, I precepted a faculty member, Sandy Weeks, while she completed an online, post master’s nurse educator course at UT Tyler. She completed 103 hours of practicum—in both theory and clinical—with me. In the theory class, she gained experience developing and presenting lectures, developing/evaluating quizzes and exams, individual exam review sessions, assisting in group presentations, peer evaluations, etc. I continue to mentor new faculty members as they share their knowledge in my courses as guest speakers.
- 2015 – 2021, Evidence-Based Health Promotion Project, Evidence-Based Health Promotion Project, I incorporated an Evidence-Based Health Promotion project in the first-semester curriculum. Students as a group presented their findings in the form of a poster presentation.
- 2015 – 2021, Interactive Review Question, This group activity prepares the class for the final comprehensive exam. I provide instructions for students to work in groups to develop high-level, critical thinking, exam-style questions based on assigned learning objectives. Each group produces 5 questions to summarize as much material as possible by asking select all that apply or except for style questions. The groups use Kahoot, bingo, and other fun ways to summarize the content and prepare the class for the final exam. I count this activity as their final quiz grade.
- 2019 – 2020, As a guest faculty, I taught cardiac, neck. and peripheral vascular assessments to graduate nursing students.
- P30 AG044271 Musi (PI) 06/30/20-04/30/25 Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center RL5 award The RL5 Award is to acquire research experience in behavioral lifestyle research among adults, to prevent or delay the onset of frailty, and to gain experience conducting clinical studies in older adults. Role: RL5 Scholar PI
- Claude D. Pepper Center Pilot Award (NIA) Jiwani (PI) 09/2019-08/2020 Effect of Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention on Frailty in Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Study Role: PI
- 2020 – Present, Mentoring 2 students from the Summer Undergraduate Nursing Research Immersion Experience [SUNRISE] program) and 1 graduate student from Personalized Molecular Medicine, who are helping with my current RL5 pilot research study. Mentoring them on several aspects of my research study as entering data in Redcap, recruiting participants, completing study-related questionnaires and assessments, writing abstracts, manuscripts, and analyze focus group data.
- 2019 – 2020, Mentoring 4 research students (1 accelerated undergraduate nursing student, 1 graduate student from Personalized Molecular Medicine, and 2 students from the Summer Undergraduate Nursing Research Immersion Experience [SUNRISE] program) who are helping with my current RL5 pilot study. I am mentoring them on several aspects of my research study, such as entering data in Redcap, recruiting participants, completing study-related questionnaires and assessments, writing abstracts and manuscripts, and analyzing focus group data
- 2022-present, Promotion, Tenure, and Appointment Committee, Member School of Nursing
- 2020 – Present, UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Council, Member
- 2021 – 2022, UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing Committee on Scholarship, Member
- 2015 – 2017, UT Health San Antonio Committee on Undergraduate Studies, Member
- 2014 – 2017, UT Health San Antonio Conflict of Interest Committee, Member
Service to the Profession
- 2022- Present, Co-Chair Career Conversation/Mentoring Consultancies Workgroup at the GSA
- 2022- Present, Member Climate Change and Aging Interest group at the GSA
- 2021 - Present,, Abstract Reviewer GSA Abstract Peer Reviewer
- 2021- Present, Abstract reviewer for the American Association of College of Nursing (AACN) meeting
- 2021 - Present Volunteer Community-Engaged Research (CEnR) @ Interest Group at the GSA
- 2021 – Present, Reviewer, The Geriatric Nursing
- 2021 – Present, Co-Chair, San Antonio Indian Nurses Association Research/Doctoral Advisory
- 2020 – Present, Journal Reviewer, The Journal of Medical Internet Research
- 2019 – Present, Journal Reviewer, The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
- 2014 – Present, Journal Reviewer, The Journal of American Nurse Today
- 2020 – Present, San Antonio Indian Nurses Association
- 2020 – Present, Asian American/Pacific Islander Nurses Association
- 2019 – Present, American Aging Association
- 2017 – Present, Gerontological Society of America
- 2008 – Present, Volunteer Annual Fundraising Campaign for the Aga Khan Foundation
- 2001 – Present, Health Board Member Aga Khan Community Ctr.
- 2023, Invited Speaker Presented at South Asian Community Women Group during their quarterly health awareness session about improving mental and physical health and goal setting to achieve better physical health and well-being from Jim Kwik’s book “Limitless”.
- 2023, “Evidenced-Based Lifestyle Behavior Modification Prog. – 10 Top Tips Pus” (i.e., keep a meal routine, go reduced fat, walk off the weight, healthy snack, read the label, caution with portion size, break up sitting time, stress management, mindful eating, don’t forget your five fruits & vegetables a day.
- 2023, Invited Speaker -Presented at South Asian Community Women Group during their mental health awareness month and interactively discussed plus hands-on activities about boosting self-love and self-confidence and did a mirror activity to enhance self-confidence - Louise Hay’s book “I can do it”.
- 2023, Invited Speaker-Managing/preventing frailty & type 2 diabetes using behavioral lifestyle interventions.
- 2022 Invited Speaker Muslim Community group Mindful eating and stress reduction to control, manage and prevent multiple chronic conditions.
- *Jiwani, R., Dennis, B., Alfonso, N., Bess, C., Espinoza, S., Wang, J., Serra, M. Type 2 Diabetes Independence of Glycemic Control is Associated with Cognitive Impairments: Findings from NHANES. Clinical Nursing Research. [3/06/2022 – Revision Submitted]
*Robbins, R. N., Serra, M. C., Kilpela, L. S., Parker, E. A., Jiwani, R., & Addison, O. (2022, Jul 13). Intervention in Older Urban-Dwelling Veterans With Dysmobility: Protocol for a Pilot Feasibility Clinical Trial. JMIR Res Protoc, 11(7), e39192. https://doi.org/10.2196/39192
- *Jiwani, R., Robbins, R., Alfonso, N., Renero, J., Lopez, E., Serra, M. Effect of Dietary Intake Through Whole Foods on Cognitive Function: Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Current Nutrition Reports 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13668-022-00412-5
- *Patel, D., Gonzalez, A., Serra, M., Roberts, J., Burns, A., Hughes, D., Clarke, G., Kilpela, L., Jiwani, R., & Musi, N. An open-label randomized trial of exercise ± creatine supplementation to augment the adaptations of exercise training in breast cancer survivors completing chemotherapy: a study protocol for The THRIVE Study (Preprint). JMIR Research Protocol. Oct 26, 2021. https://doi.org/10.2196/26827
- *Jiwani R, Wang J, Li C, Dennis B, Patel D, Gelfond J, Liu Q, Siddiqui N, Bess C, Monk S, Serra M, Espinoza S. A Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention to Improve Frailty in Overweight or Obese Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Feasibility Study. Journal of Frailty and Aging. Apr10, 2021
- *Jiwani R, Dennis B, Chandler B, Monk S, Meyer K, Wang J, Espinoza S. Assessing acceptability and patient experience of a behavioral lifestyle intervention using Fitbit technology in older adults to manage Type 2 diabetes amid COVID-19 pandemic: a focus group study Geriatric Nursing 2021 Jan;42(1):57-64.
- *Ko J, Du Y, Jiwani R, Li C, Wang J.. Personalized Behavioral Nutrition Intervention in Older Asian Americans with Type 2 Diabetes during COVID-19 Pandemic: Study Protocol for a Pilot, Hybrid, Randomized Controlled Trial Nursing Research 2021 Jan
- *Jiwani R, Wang CP, Orsak, B, MacCarthy, D, Kellogg D, Powers B, Wang, J, Padala, P, Padala, K, Espinoza S. A geriatrics Walking Clinic Improves Hemoglobin A1c and Time Gait in Veterans with Type 2 Diabetes Geriatric Nursing 2020 Oct
- *Du Y, Dennis B, Rhodes S, Sia M, Ko J, Jiwani R, Wang, J. Technology Assisted Self-Monitoring of Lifestyle Behaviors and Health Indicators in Diabetes: A Qualitative Evaluation Journal of Medical Internet Research Diabetes 2020 Aug;5(3)
- *Jiwani R, Wang J, Berndt A, Ramaswamy P, Mathew Joseph N, Du Y, Ko J, Espinoza S Changes in Patient-Reported Outcome Measures With a Technology-Supported Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention Among Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: Pilot Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial JMIR Diabetes 2020;5(3):e19268 DOI: 10.2196/19268 .
- *Espinoza, SE; Jiwani, RB; Wang, C-P; Wang, J.. Review of Interventions for the Frailty Syndrome and the Role of Metformin as a Potential Pharmacologic Agent for Frailty Prevention Clinical Therapeutic 2019 Nov;41(3):376-386
- *Espinoza SE, Musi M, Wang CP, Michalek JE, Orsak, Beverly, Romo, T, Powers BB, Conde, A, Moris, M, Bair-Kelps, D, Li, Y, Ganapathy, V, Jergensen, T, Kelly, C, Jiwani RB. Rationale and Study Design of a Randomized Clinical Trial of Metformin to Prevent Frailty in Older Adults With Prediabetes The Journal of Gerontology 2019 Mar
- *Jiwani R, Gerry S, Patel D. A Review of Culturally Tailored Interventions to Reduce Cardiovascular Disease in South Asians Cardiovascular Disorder and Medicine 2018 Jun;3(3):1-6
- Jiwani R. Writing a scholarly abstract as the San Antonio Indian Nurses Association, Co-Chair of Research/Doctoral Advisory, which has been published in their quarterly web-azine. https://sainausa.com/web-azine p. 39
- Across Borders: Nurse Leaders from five countries virtually mentor AKU students 2021 Oct. https://the.ismaili/tkn/across-borders-nurse-leaders-five-countries-virtually-mentor-aku-students
- Jiwani R. Aga Khan Foundation USA: Everything is Big in Texas 2017 Nov. Available from https://www.akfusa.org/our-stories/everything-bigger-texas/
- Jiwani R. The Huffington Post: Humans of the World: A Doctor in Nursing Gives Back 2016 Nov. Available from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/humansoftheworld-a-doctor_b_13204070
- Monk S, An K, Jiwani R. (2023). Indirect Deficits in Genetic Literacy Despite Public Demand poster presentation at the Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS) Conference.
- Malik M, Jiwani R. (2023). Group-Led Yoga and Mindfulness Intervention to Improve Mental and Physical Health Outcomes in a High-Risk Minority Population: South Asian Middle- and Older-Aged Women. Poster presented at the following local conferences: 1) Long School of Medicine Research Symposium, 2) Public Health Symposium Reimagining Refugee Resettlement Through the Public Health Perspective at the University of Incarnate Word, 3) Nurses’ Week poster display at the UTHSA School of Nursing, and 4) Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science (IIMS) 13th Annual Frontiers of Translational science research
- *Jiwani R, Serra, M; Espinoza, S; Patel, DI. The impact of lifestyle intervention on inflammatory cytokines in older adults with type 2 diabetes. (Abstract submitted at the Gerontological Society of America)
- *Jiwani R, Wang, J, Li, C, Espinoza S. Evaluating a Mobile-Health-Enhanced Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention for Frailty in Diabetes: A Feasibility Study Oxford University Press; 2020 Dec. p. 401-402. (Innovation in Aging; vol. 4, no. 1)
- Jiwani R. Illness Perceptions, Coping Behaviors, and Appraisal of South Asians Immigrants with Coronary Artery Disease: A Mixed Methods Study Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 2020 Vol. 29, no 5.
- 12/2021, Presented my RL5 pilot research study findings at the Endocrinology Grand Rounds (shared lesson learned, x2 publications, future study), UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- 10/2021, “International Day of Older Persons - Digital Equity for All Ages” in Pakistan, on October 1, 2021. I virtually presented my RL5 project experiences in overweight/obese older adults with type-2-diabetes using experiences/digital technology to prevent/delay frailty
- 2020, Effect of Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention on Frailty, Health Technologies Research Interest Group (HTRIG), Health Technologies Research Interest Group (HTRIG), UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2020, Frailty, Diabetes, and Older Adults Meet the Scientists of the Biobehavioral Lab, Committee on Scholarship, UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2020, Presented my RL5 pilot research study at the Endocrinology Grand Rounds for possible recruitment, UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2023 Pre-conference Workshop at the Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS) Conference Citation: Jiwani R, Patel D, Sara Mithani S, An K. Title: Optimizing Mentoring for the Future of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- 2022 Moderated/facilitated at the Career Conversations/Mentoring Consultancies Workgroup at the Annual Scientific Meeting of Gerontological Society of America on the topic of “Negotiating the First Academic Job Offer” with graduate students, post-doc, and early-career gerontologists during a two 25-minute breakout session with 10 participants in each session. The session was received well and got great feedback and then presented to close the session.
- 2022 Presented the findings related to my Behave study at the GRECC work-in-progress interdisciplinary team meeting on the topic of, “Improvement of inflammatory markers along with frailty and weight using lifestyle intervention in overweight older adults living with T2DM.”
- 2022 presented my research findings at the 12th Annual Frontiers of Translational Science Research Day [IIMS-CTSA Institute for Integration of Medicine & Science-Clinical & Translational Science Award], titled: The impact of lifestyle intervention on inflammatory cytokines in older adults with type 2 Diabetes
- 2021, Presented my RL5 pilot research study findings at the Endocrinology Grand Rounds (shared lesson learned, x2 publications, future study), UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- 2021, “International Day of Older Persons - Digital Equity for All Ages” in Pakistan, on October 1, 2021. I virtually presented my RL5 project experiences in overweight/obese older adults with type-2-diabetes using experiences/digital technology to prevent/delay frailty
- 2020, Effect of Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention on Frailty, Health Technologies Research Interest Group (HTRIG), Health Technologies Research Interest Group (HTRIG), UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- 2020, Frailty, Diabetes, and Older Adults Meet the Scientists of the Biobehavioral Lab, Committee on Scholarship, UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing, San Antonio, TX
- 2020, Presented my RL5 pilot research study at the Endocrinology Grand Rounds for possible recruitment, UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- 2020, Effect of Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention on Frailty in Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes, San Antonio Pepper Center Annual Retreat, San Antonio Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, San Antonio, TX
Peer-reviewed Articles (*indicates data-based)
Non-Peer-reviewed Articles (i. e. editorials, news articles, etc.)
Invited Podium Presentations (i. e. keynotes presentations)