Departments & Divisions
Rabab Z. Jafri, M.D.
My interest in approaching complex medical issues with a focus on the family impacts my practice and research related to diabetes at the Texas Diabetes Institute. I enjoy learning about the various aspects of diabetes in youth with regards to intervention, diagnosis and mangement as well as integrating diabetes technology within my research and clinical care. I am involved in the Bionic Pancreas research pivotal trials.
- 2011 - MD - Medicine - Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
- 2011 - ECFMG Certification - Medicine - Aga Khan University. Karachi, Pakistan.
- 2010 - MBBS - Medicine & Surgery - Aga Khan University. Karachi, Pakistan
- 2005 - General Certificate of Education - Advanced Level - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, English - University of Cambridge, Karachi Grammar School. Karachi, Pakistan.
- 2018 - Fellowship - Pediatric Endocrinology - Massachusetts General Hospital. Boston, MA
- 2016 - Harvard Catalyst Course - Design & Conduct of Clinical Trials - Harvard University
- 2015 - Residency - Pediatrics - University of Illinois. Chicago, Illinois
American Diabetes Association - Focus on Fellows Travel Award (2017)
Endocrine Society - Travel Award for Annual Meeting (2014)
University of Cambridge: Karachi Grammar School:
- Breton Medal for Academic Distinction (2005)
- Kensett Medal for Academic Distinction (2005)
- Glazebrook Award for Academic Distinction (2003)
Instruction & Training
- 2016-2018, Clinical Research Fellow: Russell Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2015-2016, Clinical Fellow (inpatient/outpatient), Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2015, Congenital Hypothyroidism, University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2014, Infant Born at 32 weeks with hydrops, Pediatrics Grand Rounds Presentation
- 2014, Maternal feeding practices and impact on children's eating behavior. Journal Club Presentation, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- 2014, ALTE and its management, University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2014, Adolescent Pregnancies and Impact on Health , University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2013, Evaluation and treament of back pain in children and adolescents, Journal Club presentation
- 2013, Jarcho-Levin Syndrome. Complex Case Conference, Moss Auditorium, University of Illinois at Chicago
Research & Grants
- Selecting Insulin Analogs for Closed-Loop Control Using Multiplex Pharmacokinetic Profiling (Steven J. Russell MD, PhD Funding: Helmsley Charitable Trust)
- Assessment of Brain Insulin Resistance in Alzheimer's Disease Using Insulin Clamp/Collaboration with Neurology (Steven E. Arnold MD. Funding: NIH/NIA)
- Automated treatment of Congenital Hyperinsulinism-Collaboration - Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Diva D. De Leon-Crutchlow, MD, MSCE, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Funding: Zealand Pharma)
- The Monitoring Study: Evaluating the Effect of Remote Monitoring for Hypoglycemia on Bionic Pancreas Safety and Efficacy (Steven J. Russell MD, PhD Funding: Helmsley Charitable Trust)
- 2015 - "Congenital Hyperinsulinism." Presentation. Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children
- 2015 - "Risk & Natural Progression of Type 1 Diabetes." Presentation. Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children.
- 2005 - The Helper's Society - Karachi Gammar School. Karachi, Pakistan.
VidScripts Committee - Massachusetts General Hospital for Children. Boston, MA
Falah Society - Aga Khan University Hospital. Karachi, Pakistan (2007)
2019 - "First Human Study Testing the iLet, a Purpose-Built Bionic Pancreas Platform." Amer. Diab. Assn. 79th Scientific Sessions, 2019, San Francisco, CA
2018 - "A Three-way Accuracy Comparison of the Dexcom G5, Abbott Freestyle Libre Pro, and Senseonics Eversense CGM Devices In an Outpatient Study of Subjects w/ Type 1..." Amer. Diab. Assn. 78th Scientific Sessions. Orlando, FL
- 2018 - Innovation in automated glucose control systems. The Aga Khan Medical University. Karachi, Pakistan.
- 2018 - Current use of medical devices in diabetes management. Imamia Medics International. Karachi, Pakistan.
- First Human Study Testing the iLet, a Purpose-Built Bionic Pancreas
- Further Delineation of Liver Involvement in Girls and Women with Turner: Case Report of a 2-Year-Old with Liver Dysfunction...
- Automated glycemic control with the bionic pancreas in cystic fibrosis-related diabetes: A pilot study
- A Three-way Accuracy Comparison of the Dexcom G5, abbott Freestyle Libre Pro, and Senseonics Eversense CGM Devices in Home-Use..
- Differential Effects of the Insulin-Only and Bihormonal Configurations of the Bionic Pancreas on Mean Glucose & Hypoglycemia...
- Withdrawal of remote realtime telemetric monitoring increases hypoglycemia during usual care but not during automated glucose...
- Performance of the Insulin-Only iLet Bionic Pancreas and the Bihormonal iLet Using Dasiglucagon in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes i
Rabab Z Jafri, Rasha Al-Radadi, Claudia Boucher-Berry, Relationship Between Maternal Graves’ Disease and Two Different Presentations of Congenital Hypothyroidism at Birth. ENDO 2015, San Diego, CA
Rabab Z. Jafri, Michele Maheno, Courtney A. Balliro, Llazar Cuko, Debbie Mondesir, Firas El-Khatib, Laya Ekhlaspour, Steven J. Russell, Automated Glucagon Administration for Treatment of Postbariatric Hypoglycemia. American Diabetes Association Meeting, 2017, San Diego, CA
Laya Ekhlaspour, Debbie Mondesir, Aryan Esmaeili, Mallory Hillard, Rabab Z. Jafri, Manasi Sinha, Ranjan Ajenthen, Courtney A. Balliro, Michele Maheno, Gina Masse, Llazar Cuko, Steven J. Russell. Effect of Ethanol Intoxication on the Antihypoglycemic Action of Glucagon. American Diabetes Association Meeting, 2017, San Diego, CA
Courtney A. Balliro, Laya Ekhlaspour, Aryan Esmaeili, Firas El-Khatib, Debbie Mondesir, Rajendranath Selagemsetty, Mallory A. Hillard, Michele Maheno, Rabab Z. Jafri, Edward Damiano, Steven J. Russell. Effect of a Lower Glucose Target on Glycemic Outcomes with an Insulin-Only Bionic Pancreas. American Diabetes Association Meeting, 2017, San Diego, CA
Steven J. Russell, Rabab Jafri, Michele Maheno, Courtney Balliro, Laya Ekhlaspour, Firas El-Khatib, Edward Damiano, Britta Væver Bysted, Ulrik Mouritzen. The stable glucagon analog dasiglucagon is well-tolerated and as effective as recombinant human glucagon when delivered by the bionic pancreas in response to insulin excess. Advanced Technologies and Treatment for Diabetes Annual Meeting, 2018, Vienna, Austria
Jordan S. Sherwood M, Courtney A. Balliro, Mallory Hillard, Michele Maheno, Jason L. Sloane, Rabab Z. Jafri, Firas H. El-Khatib, Edward R. Damiano, Melissa S. Putman, Steven J. Russell Pilot Study of Closed-Loop Glycemic Control with the Bionic Pancreas in Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes, A Pilot and Feasibility Crossover Trial Pediatric Research Day, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Boston, MA, 2018
- 2019 - American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Endocrinology
- 2015 - American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatrics
- 2011 - ECFMG Certification. Aga Khan University. Karachi, Pakistan.