Ray C. Hosein, M.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor Division Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Dr. Hosein has a keen interest in treatment of traumatic injuries, cancer of the breast as well as cancer in various other locations in the body. Dr. Hosein did his General Surgery residency at the University of Texas HSC San Antonio and his Plastic Surgery residency at the University of Utah. In addition, he completed a Microsurgery fellowship at the University of Utah where he learned to perform reconstructive free flap surgery. Dr Hosein is an avid researcher in his field of Plastic Surgery with interests in microsurgical outcomes and surgery for cancer. He believes in individualizing the treatment plan to the goals of each patient to achieve a mutually acceptable and functional outcome.
- 2005 - MBBS - Doctoral of Medicine - University of West Indies
- 1997 - BSc - Natural Sciences - University of the West Indies
- Residency - General Surgery Residency - UT-Health Science
- Residency - Plastic Surgery Residency - UT-Health Science
- Fellowship - Microsurgery Fellowship - University of Utah
Journal reviewer, Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2018
UWI Development and Endowment Award for Academic Excellence, University of the West Indies
- Assistant Clinical Professor - UT-Health San Antonio
Research & Grants
University of Utah Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Research Grant (co-investigator): Prescription opioid use following breast reconstruction, 2018.
Dr Ferdinand P Herff Chair in Surgery Endowment Grant, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio: Breast Cancer research, 2014
1. Choi Y, Tuncer F, Maglic D, Holoyda K, Hosein RC, Gociman B. The effects of sequential galeotomies and galea aponeurectomies on scalp flap advancement. Accepted 6/3/20 in the Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (PRS) Journal.
2. Veith J, Johns D, Mehta S, Hosein RC, Tuncer FB, Tyrell R, Kestle JRW, Siddiqi F, Gociman B. Serial posterior cranial vault distraction for the treatment of complex craniosynostosis. Accepted 6/1/20 in J Craniofacial Surg.
3. Holoyda K, Tuncer F, Maglic D, Hosein RC, Kestle J, Siddiqi F, Gociman B. Layered closure of lumbosacral myelomenginocele defects with bilateral paraspinous muscle and composite fasciocutaneous flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2020;8:e288.
4. Hosein RC, Goodwin I, Odobescu A. A novel technique for microsurgery on calcified vessels: venous interposition grafting. Eplasty 2019 Jul 2:pb3. eCollection 2019.
5. Flores S, Maglic D, Moores N, Hosein RC, Siddiqi F, Gociman B. Commissuroplasty technique for release of scarring secondary to Stevens Johnson syndrome. Plast Aesthet Res 2018;5:24.
6. Hosein RC, Cornejo A, Wang HT. Postoperative monitoring of free flap reconstruction: A comparison of external Doppler ultrasonography and the implantable Doppler probe. Plast Surg (Oakv). 2016 Spring;24(1):11-9.
- American Board of Surgery (General Surgery)