G. Richard Holt, MD, MSE, MPH, MABE, D Bioethics, D HL
Professor Emeritus and Clinical Professor
Faculty, The Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics
Dr. Holt’s primary clinical interests are in general otolaryngology, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, undergraduate and graduate medical education, and bioethics. Additional interests include bioengineering, public health and public policy, and all aspects of medical professionalism. His primary practice site is the Robert B. Green clinic in downtown San Antonio, where he sees patients with residents in otolaryngology and supervises outpatient surgery, along with the University Hospital for selected surgical procedures. Dr. Holt still uses a head mirror in his examination of patients.
- 2012 - D.BE - Bioethics - Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics and Health Policy, Loyola University Medical School, Chicago, IL
- 2008 - M.A.B.E. - Bioethics and Health Policy - Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics and Health Policy, Loyola University Medical School, Chicago, IL
- 1991 - M.P.H. - Aerospace Medicine and Public Health - University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX
- 1990 - M.S.E. - Engineering - University of Texas, Graduate School, Austin, TX
- 1970 - M.D. - Medical Doctor, with Clinical Honors - University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- 1966 - B.A. - Zoology - University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- 1975 - Residency - Otolaryngology - University of Missouri Medical Center, Columbia, MO
- 1972 - Residency - General Surgery - University of Missouri Medical Center, Columbia, MO
- 1971 - Internship - Surgery - University of Missouri Medical Center, Columbia, MO
2009 “Health Care Heroes” Life-Time Achievement Award for Medicine, San Antonio, TX
2006 Brigade Surgeon, 36th Combat Aviation Brigade (Op Iraqi Freedom)
1996 Outstanding Citizen Award: Northeast Independent School District, San Antonio, TX
1991 NASA Astronaut Selection Candidate
1986 U.S. Army Reserve Components Flight Surgeon of the Year Award
1982 First surgeon to place a Branemark Osseointegrated Implant for Facial Prosthetic attachment in North America
- 2004-present - Faculty, The Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics - UT Health San Antonio, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, San Antonio
- 2009-present - Faculty, MD/MPH Program - UT Medical School at San Antonio
- 2009-present - Professor Emeritus - UT Health San Antonio, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, San Antonio
- 2011-present - Lecturer - UT Health San Antonio, School of Public Health
- 2011-present - Editor-in-Chief - Southern Medical Journal
- 2014-present - Faculty - The San Antonio Military Medical Center and Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX
- 2014-present - Scholar - The MU Center for Health Ethics, The University of Missouri at Columbia
- 2014-present - Adjunct Professor - The Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Missouri at Columbia
- 2017-present - Clinical Professor - The Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at UT Health San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 2003-2009, Course Director, Clinical and Research Electives for Medical Students, UT Health San Antonio
- 2006-2009, Bioengineering Graduate Program, UT Health San Antonio
- 2008-present, MD/MPH Program, UT Health San Antonio
- 2010-2012, Master Thesis Committee, UT Heath San Antonio and SAMMC
- 2012-present, Ethics Seminars for Otolaryngologists, UT Health San Antonio, SAMMC, University of Missouri School of Medicine
Research & Grants
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Head and Neck Malignancies
Bone growth micromechanics
Laryngeal physiology and development
Committee Member, Resident Selection Committee, 2002-Present
Lecturer, Bioengineering and Ethics Seminars, UT Health SA and SAMMC faculty, residents and medical students, 2012-present
Faculty Clerkship Director, Medical Student Education, 2003-2010
Research Committee Member 2002-present
Faculty Selection Committee Member 2002-present
Faculty Lecturer, UT School of Public Health, 2010-present
Faculty Member, Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics, UT Health San Antonio
Editor-in-Chief, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 1996-2000
Testimonies to US Senate and House Cmte Re NASA, 1993
Co-Editor, Year Book of OTO-HNS, 1992-present
Life Member, Veteran of Foreign Wars, 1991-present
President, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 1991-1992
Board Member, Society of US Army Flight Surgeons, 1986
Life Member, American Legion, 1978-present
Benefactor, Holt Scholarship of Bioengineering, College of Engineering, UT Texas at Austin, 1993
Benefactor, Holt Science Award for Outstanding Science Education, North East Independent School District, San Antonio, TX, 1992-1998
Chair, National Association of Physicians for the Environment, 1994
Holt GR, Walter C. Techniques for Composite Grafts in Reconstruction of Facial Defects. In: Editors: Larrabee WF Jr., Ridgway JM, Patel SA. Master Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Facial Plastic Surgery. Wolters Klewer, Philadelphia. 2018. Pages 553-562.
Majors JS, Brennan J, Holt GR: Management of High-Velocity Injuries of the Head and Neck. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2017; 25: 493-502.
Holt GR, Shipchandler T: Acute Soft Tissue Injuries of the Face. In: Papel I (Ed): Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 4th Edition. Thieme. New York, NY. 2015.
Holt GR. The Pandemic Effect: Raising the Bar for Ethics, Empathy, and Professional Collegiality. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. June 2020. doi:10.1177/0194599820933179
Holt, GR. Contemporary ethical considerations in clinical otolaryngology. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology. 2020;5: 778– 781. https://doi.org/10.1002/lio2.438
Holt GR. Integrity in Research Publishing and Professional Accountability. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2013 May;15(3):164-6. doi: 10.1001/jamafacial.2013.15.
Holt GR. Reflections on the Social Responsibility of a Physician (Commentary). South Med J. 2016 May;109(5):311-2. doi: 10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000452.
Thomas JR, Hom DB, Holt GR. Clarifying Scar Revision Techniques and Their Proper Use. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2016 Jul 1;18(4):316-7. doi: 10.1001/jamafacial.2016.0710.
Holt GR. Back to the Past for the Future of Medicine: Special Series on Bedside Medicine. South Med J.2016; 109: 735.
Holt GR. A Physician’s Ethical Responsibility to Prepare for, and Respond to, Disasters and other Catastrophic Events. South Med J. 2016 May;109(5):311-2. doi: 10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000452.
Holt GR. “I’m Dying but I’m Not Dead Yet.:” Patient Decisions About Dying and Death. South Med J. 2016 Apr;109(4):199. doi: 10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000440.
Holt GR. The Scrub Revolution: From Hospital Uniform to Public Attire (Commentary). South Med J. South Med J. 2016 May;109(5):328-9. doi: 10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000451.
Media and Software Developed:
Online National Otolaryngology Resident Study Guide, 2002
Online Resident Manual of Trauma of the Face, Head and Neck, 2012
- 1992 - American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 1975 - American Board of Otolaryngology