Departments & Divisions
Antonio J. Hernandez, M.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Director of Neonatal Transport
Native to San Antonio, Dr. Hernandez is a local graduate of Central Catholic High School and St. Mary's University. He earned his medical degree from the UT Health Science Center Long School of Medicine in San Antonio. He served in the United States Air Force, completing his residency at David Grant Medical Center in California and the San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortum (SAUSHEC). He returned to the UT Health Science Center for completion of his Neonatal-Perinatal Fellowship. He then served as an Air Force staff neonatologist for an overseas tour at the US Naval Hospital in Okinawa, Japan followed by a tour at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.
In 2016, Dr. Hernandez joined the neonatology faculty at UT Health San Antonio. In 2018, he took over as Director of the Neonatal Transport Team. His neonatal interests include pulmonary physiology and ventilator management, residency education, NICU documentation and billing, and neonatal outreach. Dr. Hernandez also serves on the local board for the Ronald McDonald House Charities.
- 2004 - MD - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 1998 - BS - St. Mary's University, San Antonio, TX
- 2010 - Fellowship - Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2007 - Residency - Pediatrics - SAUSHEC (San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium)
- 2020-Present - Associate Professor of Pediatrics - UTHSCSA
- 2018-Present - Director of Neonatal Transport - UTHSCSA
- 2019-Present - Director of Neonatal Documentation and Billing - UTHSCSA
- 2016-Present - Neonatologist - Community Medicine Associates, Pediatrics, San Antonio, TX
- 2016-2020 - Assistant Professor of Pediatrics - UTHSCSA
- 2010-2016 - Staff Neonatologist - United States Air Force
- 2013-2016 - Adjunct Assistant Professor - John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI