Departments & Divisions
Byron C Hepburn, M.D., FAAFP
Family Medicine Residency Program
Dr. Byron Hepburn (Maj Gen, USAF, Ret.) is Associate Vice President and the inaugural Director of the Military Health Institute at UT Health San Antonio. He is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine and Assistant Dean for Military Health. As Director of the Military Health Institute, he is committed to enhancing the collaborative efforts of UT Health San Antonio with governmental and non-governmental organizations to improve the health and resiliency of our nation’s military service members, veterans and their families through advances in education, research and health care. He is dedicated to the health and well-being of not only the military, but the San Antonio community at large, with a focus on prevention and the social determinants of health.
Dr. Hepburn has had a distinguished military career spanning 38 years. He served as the inaugural Director of the San Antonio Military Health System (SAMHS). In addition, he was Commander of the 59th Medical Wing and Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland. Previously, he served as Deputy Surgeon General of the Air Force, where he directed all operations of the Air Force Medical Service. Dr. Hepburn is a distinguished graduate of the U.S Air Force Academy and the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences School of Medicine, and completed a residency in family practice. He was one of only 15 Air Force pilot-physicians and has extensive experience in aeromedical evacuation and human factors. As an Air Force physician, he has worldwide experience as a clinician and leader in humanitarian and military medical operations. Dr. Hepburn believes that our nation’s family physicians must play an active role in leading health system reform to better the health of all Americans.
- 1999 - MA - Strategic Studies - Air University - Maxwell AFB
- 1987 - MD - Medicine - Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- 1977 - MA - European Studies - University of Geneva/Air Force Institute of Technology
- 1976 - BS - Western European Area Studies and Geography (Distinguished Graduate) - United States Air Force Academy
- 10/2014 - Professor/Clinical, Family & Community Medicine and Faculty Physician, Family & Community Medicine - UT Health Science Center, Family & Community Medicine, San Antonio
- 10/2014 - Assistant Dean for Military Health and Assistant Dean - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Dean of Medical School, San Antonio
- 10/2014 - Associate VP and Director, Military Health Institute and Director, Military Health Institute - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Office of the President, San Antonio
- 1990 - American Board of Family Medicine