Christie L Harper, MSN, RN, CCNS
Undergraduate nursing is my primary area of focus and I teach in both clinical and didactic settings in three core courses. My professional background is in Adult Medical, Cardiac and Surgical Intensive Care. I continue to supervise students in the acute care setting enabling me to provide up-to-date information with current clinical application. One area of research interest to me is in the development of clinical judgement in undergraduate nursing students.
- 2009 - Master of Science in Nursing - Critical Care Nursing - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2000 - Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Nursing - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1986 - Associate of Applied Science - Medical Assisting Technology - San Antonio College
Licensures and Certification
- Registered Nurse
- CCNS-Clinical Nurse Specialist in Critical Care Adult
- American Association of Critical Care Nurse
Honors and Awards
- 2000, Nursing Scholarship Recipient: UTHSCSA
- 2012 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2009 - Clinical Instructor - UTHSCSA, Department Acute Nursing
Instruction & Training
- 2019 - Present, NURS 3370 Pathophysiology Accelerated, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2018 - Present, NURS 3309 Pathophysiology, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2016 - Present, NURS4319 Leadership and Management: Theoretical Foundations, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2016 - Present, NURS 4316 Care of Adult II: Clinical App, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2012 - Present, NURS 4320 Leadership and Mgmt.: Clinical, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2011 - Present, NURS 4315 Care of Adult II: Theory, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Research & Grants
- 2013-2013, Early Mobility in Mechanically Ventilated Patients, Original research in the clinical setting to explore the psychological and physical effects of nurse-driven early mobility in mechanically ventilated patients.
- 2007-2009, Oral Care Practice in Ventilated Patients, Active Participant in multidisciplinary project for research on the relationship of oral care and Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. Progress to date: Survey of current nursing oral care practice, development of hospital-wide oral care protocol, production of DVD on oral assessment and oral care delivery, NTI poster presentation, and abstract publication.
- 2017 - Present, UT Health SA, School of Nursing Committee of Simulation and Innovation (ComSI), Member. Committee to promote learning through use of Simulation technology.
- 2017 - Present, UT Health SA, School of Nursing Mentorship of New Faculty, Mentor. Through role as Course Coordinator, mentored new clinical faculty to clinical course (Canvas, clinical teaching, clinical institutions, university setting)
- 2015 - Present, UT Health SA, School of Nursing Traditional Track Undergraduate, Committee Member
- 2015 - Present, UT Health SA, School of Nursing Baccalaureate Curriculum, Committee, Member
- 2013 - Present, Electronic Security Access Form (eSAF)Computer Entry ParticipantThe eSAF process allows designated individuals to remotely enter student Meditech Access requests via the eSAF. This access will ensure UTHSCSA nursing faculty and students get their log-on information more quickly to permit access the network and view medical records via Meditech on the first day of clinical placement.
- 2009 - Present, UT Health SA, School of NursingFaculty Assembly, MemberVoting member; vital to stay current regarding the concerns, developments and vision of School of Nursing and Health Science Center.
Service to the Profession
- 2004 - Present, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- 2000 - Present, Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2003 - 2017 Volunteer Parish Nursing
- Reed, C, Pao, W, Cocletti, J, Harper CL, Beadle, R. Standardizing Oral Care Practices in an Academic Teaching Center 2009 May. p. e14. (American Journal of Critical Care; vol. 18, no. 3).
- 2000 Commencement, School of Nursing Commencement, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker) Details: Undergraduate student speaker for School of Nursing Commencement Exercises
- 2009 Fall Prevention Awareness Month, Methodist Healthcare System, Fall Prevention Awareness Committee, San Antonio, TX (Panel) Details: Developed fall prevention strategies for Fall Prevention Committee of Methodist Healthcare System. Developed post-fall assessment poster to be utilized system-wide in Fall Prevention Awareness Month. Projects were implemented as part of clinical coursework for graduate studies
- 2009 Oral Care Practice in Ventilated Patients, National Teaching Institute, NTI Annual Conference, National Teaching Institute, New Orleans, LA (Co-Author) Details: Co-Contributor. Poster Presentation; not present.
Invited Podium Presentations (i. e. keynotes presentations)
Peer Reviewed Podium Presentations
Peer Reviewed Poster Presentations