Joshua T Hanson, MD
Associate Professor / Clinical
Joshua Hanson is an Associate Professor in the Division of General and Hospital Medicine. He serves the School of Medicine as Associate Dean for Student Affairs. He practices as a hospitalist at South Texas Veterans Health Care System and University Health System. Dr. Hanson received his medical degree from Washington University, and completed training in internal medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. His areas of interest and research include Medical College Admissions Test validity and professional identity development in medical students.
- 2011 - MPH - Epidemiology - University of California
- 2010 - Residency - Internal Medicine (Health Equity: Academics and Advocacy Training Pathway) - University of California
- 2008 - Internship - Internal Medicine - University of California
- 2007 - MD - Washington University
- 2001 - BA - Biology - University of Texas
- 9/2017 - Associate Professor - University of Texas Health, San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 8/2017 - Associate Dean For Student Affairs - University of Texas Health, San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 8/2011 - Staff Physician - University Health SystemSan Antonio
- 8/2011 - Staff Physician - South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 3/2016 - Present, Informatics, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 3/2016 - Present, Epidemiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 7/2014 - Present, General Medicine Ward/Subinternship UH/VA, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2/2012 - Present, Internal Medicine Intership Readiness Elective, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 9/2011 - Present, Individual Instruction, UT Health Science Center, San Antonio
- 8/2011 - Present, Individual Instruction, UT Health Sciences Center, San Antonio
- 8/2011 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
- 8/2011 - Present, Medicine Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 8/2011 - Present, General Medicine Ward/Subinternship UH/VA, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Yang, Alice, Singh, Tamneet, Hanson JT. Calciphylaxis: A ?Must-Not-Miss? Diagnosis; 2017 Nov. (American College of Physician Texas Chapter Annual Meeting). Sehgal R, Ozment, K, Hanson JT, Ratcliffe TA, O`Rorke JE. The Effect of Triage Diagnosis on Clinical Reasoning; 2017 Apr. (Journal of General Internal Medicine; vol. 32, no. Supp2). Hanson JT, Jackson, J. A New Model for Expanding AAMC Medical Education Research Certification; 2017 Apr. (Journal of General Internal Medicine; vol. 32, no. Supp2). Conway D, Hanson JT, Eddins-Folensbee F, Jackson J. Using Admissions Data and NBME Exams to Predict Student Success Following Curriculum Renewal; 2016 Apr. (Southern Group on Educational Affairs 2016 Annual Meeting). Turner, BJ, Taylor, BS, Hanson JT, Veerapaneni, P, Liang, Y. Routine Inpatient HCV Screening of 4582 Baby Boomers: Lower HCV Prevalence but More Advanced Disease in Newly Diagnosed Mexican-Origin Hispanics; 2015 Apr. (Society of General Internal Medicine 38th Annual Meeting). Turner BJ, Taylor B, Hanson JT, Perez, Mary Elizabeth, Hernandez, Ludivina. First Year Experience of HCV Screening of 2,765 Baby Boomers Admitted to a Safety Net Hospital in South Texas; 2014 Apr. (Society of General Internal Medicine 37th Annual Meeting). Hanson JT. A Deadly Sore Throat; 2014 Apr. (Society of General Internal Medicine 37th Annual Meeting). Hanson JT, Taylor B, Villarreal, R., Perez, M.E., Hernandez, L., Turner BJ. Novel Model for Inpatient HCV Screening and Linkage to Care for Baby Boomers Admitted to a Safety Net Hospital; 2013 Sep. (2013 University of Texas System Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Conference). Nassar, T, Hanson JT, Moreland CJ. A Rare Case of Abdominal Pain; 2013 May. (Society of Hospital Medicine 2013 Annual Meeting).
Taylor BS, Hanson JT, Veerapaneni P, Villarreal R, Fiebelkorn K, Turner BJ. Successes and Barriers to Implementation of Hospital-based Hepatitis C Screening of Baby Boomers in a Majority Hispanic South Texas Cohort Public Health Reports 2016 Mar;131:74-83. Turner BJ, Taylor BS, Hanson JT, Liang Y, Veerapaneni P, Villarreal R, Perez M, Hernandez L, Sandhu J, Fiebelkorn K. High priority for hepatitis C screening in safety net hospitals: Results from a prospective cohort of 4582 hospitalized baby boomers Hepatology 2015 Nov;62(5):1388-1395. Turner, BJ, Taylor, BS, Hanson JT, Perez, ME, Hernandez, L, Villarreal, R, Veerapaneni, P, Fiebelkorn, K. Implementing Hospital-Based Baby Boomer Hepatitis C Virus Screening and Linkage to Care: Strategies, Results, and Costs Journal of Hospital Medicine 2015 Oct;10(8):510-516. Hanson JT, Leykum LK, Pugh JA, McDaniel RR. Nighttime clinical encounters: how residents perceive and respond to calls at night Journal of Hospital Medicine 2015 Mar;10(3):142-146. Hanson JT, Pierce RG, Dhaliwal G. The New Educational Frontier: Clinical Teaching at Night Academic Medicine 2014 Feb;89(2):215-218.
Sehgal R, Hanson JT. Challenging Dogma: The Banana Bag The Hospitalist 2018 Oct;. Sehgal R, Hanson JT. How Should a Hospitalized Patient with Newly Diagnosed Cirrhosis Be Evaluated and Managed? The Hospitalist 2016 Aug;.
- American Board of Internal Medicine