Juan A Guerrero, M.D.
Juan Guerrero, MD is a board certified transplant hepatologist with the University Transplant Center. Dr Guerrero cares for complex patients with end stage liver disease and patients who have had a liver transplant. Dr Guerrero also staffs several off campus hepatology clinics throughout the state of Texas. In addition, he is involved in several clinic trials to advance the care of patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension.
- 2006 - Clinical Fellowship - Gastroenterology - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2002 - Residency - Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2000 - Internship - Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1999 - MD - Medicine - Medical College of Wisconsin
- 1995 - BA - Psychology (Magna Cum Laude) - University of Wisconsin
Medicine Resident of the Year: Internal medicine resident, selected by the UTHSCSA medical student class of 2002, who displayed excellence in clinical teaching and mentoring.
Dean‘s Scholarship Recipient: 1995-1999
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- 9/2014 - Associate Professor / Clinical and Associate Professor of Medicine - UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 4/2010 - Staff Physcian - Christus Santa Rosa Medical Center, Medicine, San Antonio
- 7/2006 - Staff Physician - University Health System, Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 10/2013 - Present, Intro to Clin Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 8/2012 - Present, Medicine Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 8/2012 - Present, Adv Physical Diagnosis, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 8/2012 - Present, Surgery Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 6/2012 - Present, Undergraduate Student Supervision, UTHSCSA
- 7/2006 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, UTHSCSA
Research & Grants
End-Stage Liver Disease - Daily evaluation and management of patients with end-stage liver disease on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
Liver Transplant - Medical management of liver transplant patients before and after transplantation.
Portal Hypertension - Research, clinical and endoscopic management of portal hypertensionincluding thrombocytopenia and hepatorenal syndrome.
Funding Agency Esai Title A Randomized, Global, Double-blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Once- daily Oral Avatrombopag for the Treatment of Adults with Thrombocytopenia Associated with Liver Disease Prior to an Elective Procedu Status Active Period 1/2016 - 12/2017 Role Principal Investigator Grant Detail
* 1. Cura M, El-Merhi F, SURI R, Lopera JE, Speeg KV, Guerrero JA, Washburn WK, Halff GA. Transplant free survival (TFS) after Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS) creation with the Viatorr covered-stent. 2010. (Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe).
2. Dwivedi S, Berg MW, Eidem M, Speeg KV, Guerrero JA, Nazario H, Patel S. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Pericardiocentesis in a Patient With Disseminated Cryptococcus Infection 2009 Apr. p. S240. (Gastrointestinal Endoscopy; vol. 69, no.2).
3. Guerrero JA, Speeg KV. HCV Ab Negative HCV Infection in a Kidney Transplant 2005 Oct. (American Journal of Gastroenterology).
4. Guerrero JA, Brady III CE. Reduced Volume Lavage Solution vs Sodium Phosphate Tablet Preparations for Colonoscopy 2004 May. (Gastrointestinal Endoscopy).
5. Guerrero JA, Brady III CE, Dalton J. Reduced Volume vs Standard Lavage Solution for Colonoscopy 2004 May. (Gastrointestinal Endoscopy).
6. Washburn WK, Speeg KV, Guerrero JA, Havranek R, Esterl RM, Abrahamian GA, Cigarroa FG, Halff GA. MELD: Impact of Hepatocellular Carcinoma on the Adult Liver Transplant Waiting List 2003. p. 374A. (Hepatology; vol. 38).
- 2010 - American Board of Internal Medicine/Hepatology
- 2006 - American Board of Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
- 2002 - American Board of Internal Medicine