Cristian Gragnaniello, MD
I received medical education and advanced surgical training across Europe, Australia, and North America with a primary focus on surgery of the spine and skull base. I published seven books and 85 book chapters in the field of neurosurgery with over 30 peer reviewed papers. I obtained a Ph.D. in Experimental Pathophysiology and Neuroscience and a Master of Surgery in Neurosurgery. Further, I successfully completed fellowships in both Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Neurosurgery. I am an active book and journal reviewer for medical journals and received the Prose Award by the Association of American Publishers in 2015, the highest distinction for a textbook in clinical medicine. Most recently, I completed a Complex Spine Surgery fellowship in 2019 at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). I hold an unrestricted medical license in the state of Illinois and have been extended an offer of a full-time Assistant Professor at UIC.
- 2019 - Fellowship in Spinal Surgery - University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2018 - Residency in Neurological Surgery - The George Washington University
Research & Grants
• Surgical Director of the Harvey H. Ammerman Microsurgical Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, George Washington University, October 2015–June 2018
• Research Fellow in Skull Base for Professor Ossama Al-Mefty, Department of Neurosurgery, Gazi M. and Dianne Yasargil Microneurosurgery Laboratory, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, October
• Visiting Research Resident at University of Toronto, Department of Neurosurgery and Department of Vascular Surgery, Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto, Canada, October 2006–November 2006
1. Nader R, Sabbagh AJ, Elbabaa S, Al-Jehani H, Gasco J, Gragnaniello C: Neurosurgery Case Review: Questions and Answers. Second Edition, New York, Thieme. (ISBN 9781626231986).
2. Lai LT, Gragnaniello C: Neurosurgical diseases: an evidence-based approach to guide practice, New York, Thieme. (in press).
3. Gagliardi F, Gragnaniello C, Mortini P, Caputy AJ: Operative Cranial Neurosurgical Anatomy, New York, Thieme. (ISBN 9781626232167).
4. Shaya M, Gragnaniello C, Nader M: Neurosurgery Rounds: Questions and answers 2nd Edition, New York, Thieme. (ISBN 9781626233638).
5. Shaya M, Gragnaniello C, Nader M: Neurosurgery Practice: Questions and answers 2nd Edition, New York, Thieme. (ISBN 9781626233478).
6. Nader R, Gragnaniello C, Berta S, Levy M, Sabbagh A (eds): "Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade: Cranial", New York, Thieme. (ISBN 978-1604063349).
7. Nader R, Berta S, Gragnaniello C, Levy M, Sabbagh A (eds): "Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade: Spine and Peripheral Nerves", New York, Thieme. (ISBN 9781604069143).