Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Mark P. Goldberg, M.D.
Associate Vice President for Strategic Research Initiatives
Professor of Neurology
Edward B. LeWinn M.D. Memorial Chair
Currently seeking Ph.D. students
Dr. Mark Goldberg is a Professor of Neurology specializing in stroke and cerebrovascular disorders. His laboratory research is focused on mechanisms of recovery after stroke and brain injury. As Associate Vice President for Strategic Research Initiatives, Dr. Goldberg works to increase research capacity and funding opportiunities for UT Health San Antonio. He is a founding member and current chair of the Lone Star Stroke Consortium, a Texas-funded program to promote clinical stroke research across the state. He is a faculty member of the Neuroscience Graduate Program and serves as a member of the American Heart Association national Committee on Stroke Rehabilitation, advisory board for VelocityTX at the Texas Research and Technology Foundation, and MATRIX AI consortium at UT San Antonio.
Prior to arriving in San Antonio in February 2021, Dr. Goldberg was Professor and Chair of the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, and served as Associate Vice President for Institutional Advancement to help build the Peter O'Donnell Brain Institute. From 1991-2010, he was at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, where he founded and directed the Hope Center for Neurological Disorders. Dr. Goldberg has led multiple individual, Center, and Program, and training grants from the NIH and other funding agencies.
- 1984 - M.D. - Medicine - Columbia Univ. College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 1980 - B.A. - Biology, Cum Laude - Harvard College
- 1991 - Research Fellowship in Neurology - Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- 1989 - Chief Resident - Neurology - Stanford University Hospital, Stanford, CA
- 1988 - Resident - Neurology - Stanford University Hospital, Stanford, CA
- 1991-2010 - Assistant, Associate, Professor of Neurology, Neuroscience, and Biomedical Engineering - Washington University School of Medicine
- 1995-2010 - Founding Director, Hope Center for Neurological Disorders - Washington University School of Medicine
- 2010-2018 - Professor and Neurology Department Chair - UT Southwestern Medical Center
- 2018-2021 - Professor and Associate Vice President, Institutional Advancement - UT Southwestern Medical Center
- 2021- - Edward B. LeWinn M.D. Memorial Chair and Professor, Department of Neurology - Long School of Medicine, UT Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2021- - Associate Vice President for Strategic Research Initiatives, Office of the Vice President for Research - UT Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2021- - Member, Graduate Program in Neuroscience - UT Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2010 - Physician License, Texas Medical Board
- 2009 - Certification in Vascular Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 1992 - Certification in Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology