Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Andrea Giuffrida, Ph.D.
Vice President for Research | Professor
Currently not seeking mentees
As a member of the UTHSA executive leadership, I provide advocacy for research, chair the Research Deans Council, and represent the institution with federal and state funding agencies, foundations and corporate research sponsors. I have operational authority to oversee and develop activities related to research infrastructure, compliances (conflict of interest, responsible conduct of research and scientific integrity) and strategic research planning and partnerships.
- 1998 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Pharmacology (N/A) - University of California Irvine
- 1997 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Pharmacology - The Neurosciences Institute
- 1996 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Biology of Reproduction (N/A) - University of Siena
- 1994 - Postdoctoral Training - Reproductive Medicine (N/A) - University of Hannover
- 1993 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Evolutionary Biology - University of Siena
- 1993 - MS - Natural Sciences (Magna Cum Laude) - University of Siena
- 1992 - PhD - Biology - University of Catania
- 1987 - BS - Biology (Magna Cum Laude) - University of Catania
- 2012 - AAAS S&T Policy Fellow - Science Policy - NIH
2020- AAMC, GRAND Steering Committee
2018- THBI, Board of Directors (Vice Chair)
2018- Int. Neuroethics Society Student/Postdoc Committee (Chair)
2016- SA Chamber of Commerce, Board of Advisors
2016- Xconomy, Xconomist Board
2015- TSBR, Board of Directors
2015- Sigma Xi Society (Elected member)
2014- BioMedSA, Board of Directors
2014- TBRI, Board of Trustees
2014- TRTF, Board of Trustees
- 5/2014 - Vice President for Research Ad Interim - The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, N/A, San Antonio
- 9/2010 - Associate Professor with Tenure - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pharmacology, San Antonio
- 5/2015 - Vice President for Research - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Pharmacology, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 7/2011 - Present, Fundamentals of Neuroethics (Course Director), UTHSCSA
- 2014-2018, Topics in Translational Medical Product Development, UTHSCSA
Research & Grants
My laboratory is interested in cannabinoid neuropharmacology. Endocannabinoids are signaling lipids that mimic marijuana’s effects by stimulating cannabinoid and other receptors expressed in brain areas critical for psycho-motor function. The endocannabinoid system may represent a pharmacological target for the treatment of conditions characterized by dopamine dysregulation, such as Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia. We use biochemical and behavioral pharmacology approaches to investigate new pharmacotherapies to alleviate these disorders.
1. P. & R. Stevens Foundation, “Accelerating PD research: the Perry & Ruby Stevens Parkinson’s Disease Center of Excellence” (PI), $ 300,000/year (July 2017- June 2022).
2. Max and Minnie Tomerlin Voelcker Fund Grant, “Biomedical Research Academy” (sole PI) $240,000/year (Jun 2018-May 2022)
Oversee IRB and IACUC committees, Offices of Technology Commercialization, Clinical Research, Clinical Trials, Postdoctoral Affairs, Animal Vivaria, compliances, Institutional Research Core Facilities, Research IT, San Antonio Partnership for Precision Therapeutics. Promote educational and professional development programs to enhance competitiveness, facilitate grant submissions and the creation of new institutes and centers.
Represent the institution with federal and state funding agencies, foundations and corporate research sponsors. I'm a member of the AAMC GRAND Program Committee and of the Executive Leadership Group of the Association Academic Health Centers (AAHC). Review startup applications for the MassChallenge competition.
I am a member of the following Boards of Directors: Texas Healthcare & Bioscience Institute (Vice Chair), Texas Society for Biomedical Research, BioMedSA, Texas Research & Technology Foundation, Texas Biomedical Research Institute