Departments & Divisions
Moshtagh R Farokhi, DDS, MPH
Master of the Academy of General Dentistry
Fellow of Academy of Dentistry International
Fellow of International College of Dentists
Dr. Farokhi brings a combination of private practice and teaching experience to the UT Health San Antonio, School of Dentistry.
- 2007 - Residency - Dental Public Health - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2002 - MPH - Dentistry - University of Glasgow, School of Medicine
- 1992 - General Practice Residency - Dentistry - University of Minnesota, School of Dentistry
- 1991 - DDS - Dentistry - University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
- 9/2016 - Associate Professor/Clinical - University Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Comprehensive Dentistry, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 9/2018 - Present, DIPC-6002- Introduction to Patient Care
- 9/2018 - Present, DIPC-6002 School Based Prevention Program, Schools of Dentistry and Nursing IPE Collaborative
- 7/2017 - Present, DIPC-5001 Clinical Prevention and Hard Tissue Examination
- 5/2013 - Present, Selective 8221 Heroes for the Homeless, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 8/2012 - Present, SELC 7114, Interporfessional Community Service Learning, Long School of Medicine and School of Dentistry IPE Collaborative
- 8/2012 - Present, SELC 7115, Leadership In Interprofessional Service Learning, Schools of Dentistry, Nursing and Long School of Medicine, The San Antonio Refugee Health Clinic IPE Collaborative
Research & Grants
Funding Agency Methodist Healthcare Ministries Title Direct Dental Services/Training of Dental Students/Residents at SACDC/HFH Status Active Period 1/2014 - 12/2017 Role Contributor Grant Detail Dental students from the UT Health Science Center San Antonio School of Dentistry provide comprehensive and surgical dental care for homeless and low income/uninsured adults at the San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic/ Haven for Hope (SACDC/HFH) via scheduled rotations for senior dental students/General Dentistry residents.
Farokhi MR, Kester N, Grubesic R, Worabo H. A telehealth approach to address refugees' urgent oral health care. J Dent Educ. 2022 Feb 14. doi: 10.1002/jdd.12907. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35157322.
Amaechi BT, Levi L, Silman Z, Evans V, Shehata MAS, Alonso-Ryan JR, Phillips TS, Ugwokaegbe PC, Farokhi MR. Clinical efficacy of a novel radiofrequency toothbrush for tooth stain reduction and tooth whitening: A randomized controlled trial. J Am Dent Assoc. 2022 Apr;153(4):342-353. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2021.09.006. Epub 2021 Dec 29. PMID: 34973707.
Alrashdi M, Cervantes Mendez MJ, Farokhi MR. A Randomized Clinical Trial Preventive Outreach Targeting Dental Caries and Oral-Health-Related Quality of Life for Refugee Children. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021; 18(4):1686.
Alrashdi M, Hameed A, Cervantes Mendez MJ, Farokhi MR. Education intervention with respect to the oral health knowledge, attitude, and behaviors of refugee families: A randomized clinical trial of effectiveness. Journal of Public Health Dentistry. 2021; 81 (2): 85-166.
Worabo, H. L., Parke, K. A., Muck, A., Farokhi, M. Refugee Healthcare Needs: Perceptions of Health and Social Service Professionals in South Texas Texas Public Health Journal 2019 Oct;71(4):13-18.
Adel JW, Berstein E, Tcheyan M, Ali S, Worabo H, Farokhi M, Muck AE. San Antonio Refugees: Their Demographics, Healthcare Profiles, and How to Better Serve Them PLOS One 2019 Feb;14(2):1-16.
Farokhi MR, Muck A, Lozano-Pineda J, Boone SL, Worabo H. Using Interprofessional Education to Promote Oral Health Literacy in a Faculty-Student Collaborative Practice. J Dent Educ. 2018 Oct;82(10):1091-1097. doi: 10.21815/JDE.018.110. PMID: 30275144.
Farokhi MR. An Interactive Geriatric Denture Case Study Approach Engaging Dental Students Designed to Link Oral Health, Nutrition and Patient Counseling in an Interprofessional Setting MedEdPORTAL 2015 Jun;. Navuluri NB, Foster BA, Muck A, Farokhi M, Vivanco R. Translating Research into Action - The San Antonio Refugee Health Clinic Texas Public Health Journal 2014 Jul;66(3):9-10.
Farokhi MR, Glass BJ, Gureckis KM. A student operated, faculty mentored dental clinic service experience at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio for the underserved refugee community: an interprofessional approach Tex Dent J 2014 Jan;131(1):27-33.
Farokhi MR, Vivanco RK, Muck A. An Interprofessional Collaborative Student-Run Clinic by Dental, Nursing and Medical Faculty and Students at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio for Refugees MedEdPORTAL 2013 2013 Aug;9(9497).