Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Daniel T. DeArmond, M.D.
Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery
Associate Residency Program Director
Dr. DeArmond is the chief of the Division of Thoracic Surgery within the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at UT Health San Antonio. He specializes in minimally invasive thoracic surgery including video-assisted thoracoscopic (VATS) and robotic-assisted pulmonary, esophageal, and mediastinal surgery with an emphasis on VATS lobectomy for the treatment of lung cancer. He provides all facets of lung transplantation including donor management, donor/recipient selection, pre-operative workup, surgery, and post-operative care. He has current clinical appointments at the Mays Cancer Center at UT Health San Antonio, Methodist Hospital (Director of the South Texas Lung Institute), and University Hospital (lung transplantation) in San Antonio, Texas. He is interested in developing novel medical devices and drug therapies related to thoracic surgery.
- 2007 - Clinical Fellowship - Fellowship, Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- 2006 - Residency - Resident, Cardiothoracic Surgery - University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- 2004 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Research Fellow, Cardiothoracic Surgery - University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- 2003 - Residency - Chief Resident, Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2002 - Residency - Senior Resident, Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2001 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Research Fellow, Surgery (Molecular oncology) - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1999 - Residency - Resident, Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1997 - Internship - Intern, Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1996 - MD - Medicine - Medical College of Pennsylvania
- 1991 - BA - French - University of California
J Bradley Aust Surgical Society Resident Research Competition 1/2000, J Bradley Aust Surgical Society Resident Research Competition 1/2001, J Bradley Aust Surgical Society Traveling Fellowship Award, Scene in San Antonio Magazine "Top Doctor" 2009, San Antonio Magazine "Top Doctor" 2016
- 4/2018 - Associate Professor/Clinical and Chief of the Division of General Thoracic Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center of San Antonio, Cardiothoracic Surgery, SAN ANTONIO
- 9/2016 - Associate Professor/Clinical - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Cardiothoracic Surgery, San Antonio
- 3/2013 - Medical Director, South Texas Lung Institute (STLI) - St. Luke`s Baptist HospitalSan Antonio
- 8/2007 - Staff Physician - St. Luke`s Baptist HospitalSan Antonio
- 8/2007 - Staff Physician - University Hospital SystemSan Antonio
- 8/2007 - Director of Minimally Invasive Lung Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 9/2015 - Present, Individual Instruction, UTHSCSA
- 2/2014 - Present, Online educational materials for medical students and residents - lung cancer, UTHSCSA Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- 12/2011 - Present, Online educational content for residents and medical students - solitary pulmonary nodule, UTHSCSA Department of Cardiothoracic surgery
- 8/2007 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, University Hospital, VA Hospital, Christus Santa Rosa Medical Center, St. Luke`s Baptist Hospital
- 8/2007 - Present, Cardiothoracic Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 8/2007 - Present, UTHSCSA
Research & Grants
Funding Agency UTHSCSA Office of Technology Commercialization Title President?s Translational and Entrepreneurial Research Fund Status Active Period 11/2015 - 11/2016 Role Principal Investigator Grant Detail Early stage seed grant for applied research for projects with commercialization potential: lung expansion and aeration monitor
Jin Wen Sui, Das NA, Charles Huynh, Makey IA, Levine DJ, DeArmond DT, Johnson SB. Re-do Bilateral Lung Transplants: Triumph of Technique Over Judgment?; 2018 Jan. (STS 54th Annual Meeting).
Eilers AL, Albahra S, Das NA, Prihoda TJ, Baisden CE, DeArmond DT, Sako EY, Johnson SB. Aprotinin use in Bilateral Lung Transplantation Utilizing Cardiopulmonary Bypass: A Single Institution Experience; 2014 Jun. (40th Annual Meeting J. Bradley Aust Surgical Society, San Antonio, TX).
Das NA. Efficacy of Inhaled Nanoparticle Tacrolimus in Preventing Rejection in Rat Lung Transplant Model Orlando, FL: STS 50th Annual Meeting; 2014 Jan. (STS 50th Annual Meeting).
DeArmond DT, Johnson SB, Pan, H. Complications of Pulmonary & Chest Wall Resection. In: Stephen M. Cohn, Matthew O. Dolich. Complications in Surgery and Trauma-2nd Edition. 2014.
Pal JD, DeArmond DT, Johnson SB. Complications of Cardiac and Lung Transplantation. In: Stephen M. Cohn, Matthew O. Dolich. Complications in Surgery and Trauma-2nd Edition. 2014.
Burguete SR, DeArmond DT, Peters JI. Pneumothorax (in press). In: Fishman AP, Elias JA, Fishman JA, Grippi MA, Kaiser LR, Senior RM. Fishman's Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders, 5th edition (in press). NY: McGraw Hill; 2013.
DeArmond DT, Das NA, Restrepo CS, Johnson SB, Michalek JE, Hernandez BS. Pleural electrical impedance is a sensitive, real-time indicator of pneumothorax Journal of Surgical Research 2018 Nov;231:15-23.
Das NA, Peters JI, Jeremy D. Simmons, Yibo Wang, Kevin P. O`Donnell, DeArmond DT, Coalson JJ, Brooks EG, Johnson SB. The efficacy of inhaled nanoparticle tacrolimus in preventing rejection in an orthotopic rat lung transplant model The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2017 Dec;154(6):2144-2151.
Das NA, Peters J, Simmons J, Wang Y, O?Donnell K, DeArmond D, Coalson J, Brooks E, Johnson S,. The Efficacy of Inhaled Nanoparticle Tacrolimus (nTAC) in Preventing Rejection in an Orthotopic Rat Lung Transplant Model Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2017 Aug;.
Antonoff MB, Verrier ED, Yang SC, Lin J, DeArmond DT, Allen MS, Varghese TK Jr, Sengewald D, Vaporciyan AA. Online learning in thoracic surgical training: promising results of multi-institutional pilot study Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2014 Sep;98(3):1057-1063.
Bayer J, Das NA, Baisden CE, Rani M, DeArmond DT, Peters JI, Johnson SB. Effect of inhaled tacrolimus on ischemia reperfusion injury in rat lung transplant model Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2013 Nov;146(5):1213-1219.
DeArmond DT, Carswell AP, Louden CL, Simmons JD, Bayer J, Das NA, Johnson SB. Diagnosis of anastomotic leak: electrolyte detection versus barium fluoroscopy Journal of Surgical Research 2013 Jun;182(2):192-197.
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery