Departments & Divisions
Robert J Chilton, M.D., FACC, FACP, FACOI, FAHA
Clinical Professor of Medicine
Robert J. Chilton, DO, is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at the Audie Murphy VA/ UT Health San Antonio.
A fellow of the American College of Cardiology, American College of Physicians, American College of Osteopathic Internists, and American Heart Association, Dr. Chilton also chairs the Electrophysiology Board Examination for the American Osteopathic Association and presides over the San Antonio chapters of both the Cardiovascular Society and American Heart Association.
Dr. Chilton received his Bachelor of Science degree from Philips University, Enid, Oklahoma, and his DO from the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery, Des Moines, Iowa. He completed his internship at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio; his residency at the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and a cardiology fellowship at the Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Chilton is board certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular disease, and electrophysiology.
Over the past 20 years, Dr. Chilton has authored numerous articles, book chapters, abstracts, and presentations on cardiology. He has developed educational materials and has lectured widely, garnering several awards for his academic contributions, including 1994 Outstanding Teacher from the UT San Antonio.
- 1978 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Cardiology - Wilford Hall USAF
- 1975 - Residency - Medicine Residency - University of Oklahoma
- 1973 - Residency - Internal Medicine - Wright Patterson AFB
- 1972 - DO - Cardiology - Universtiy of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery
- 1968 - BS - Biology Physics - Phillips University
- 9/2006 - Professor of Medicine - Univeristy of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 1/2003 - Cardiology Consultant to NASA
- 1/1999 - Director of Catherization Lab - Audie Murphy/UTHSCSA, Medicine, San Antonio
- 1/1986 - Director of Electrophysiology Lab - Audie L Murphy VA Hospital/UTHSCSA, Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 2/2003 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2003 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2/2002 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2002 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2/2001 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2001 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2/2000 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2000 - Present, Ekg Interpretation, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
Funding Agency NHLVI Title Protoemics in Matrix Metabolism and Acute Miocardialinfarctions Status Active Period 7/2012 - 7/2017 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail MMP in Protein Metabolism with architechtural matrix analysis
Rivera Oscar , Oliveros Rene A., Finch Joan H., Lee Shuko, Chilton Robert J. Central Aortic Pulse Pressure, A Better Predictor of Vascular Aging; 2013 May. (J of Clin. Hyper 28th Annual Scientific Meeting and Exposition, San Francisco, USA May 15-18, 2013; vol. 15).
Ma Y, Chilton RJ, Lindsey ML. Heart Rate Reduction: an Old and Novel Candidate Heart Failure Therapy Hypertension 2012 Apr;in.
Chilton RJ; Tikkanen Ilkka, Johansen Odd Erik. Potential role of sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors in the treatment of hypertension Current Opinion 2015 Jan;24. Rushit Kanakia; Shaun Martinho; Tejas Patel; Faisal A. Arain; Claude Jourdan Le Saux, Son Van Pham; Steven R Bailey; Robert Chilton,. Does dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor increase the risk of heart failure? A cardiologist?s paradox Cardiovascular Endocrinology 2014 Dec;3(4):111-116. Toba H, Cortez D, Lindsey ML, Chilton RJ, Cortez MD. Applications of miRNA technology for atherosclerosis Curr Atheroscler Rep 2014 Feb;16(2):386-389. Nguyen N, Zhang X, Wu C, Lange RA, Chilton RJ, Lindsey ML, Jin Y-F. Integrative computational and experimental approaches to establish a post-myocardial infarction knowledge map PLoS Computation Biol 2014 Jan;. Sanon V, Sanon S, Kanakia R, Yu H, Araj F, Oliveros R, Chilton R. Hypoglycemia from a Cardiologist?s Perspective Clin Cardiol IN PRESS 2014 Jan;. Sethi S, Rivera O, Oliveros R and Chilton R. Aortic Stiffness: Pathophysiology, Clinical Implications and Approach to Treatment Integrated Blood Pressure Control , IN PRESS 2014 Jan;. Iyer RP, Lindsey ML, Chilton RJ. A Two-for-One Bargain: Using Cilnidipine to Treat Hypertension and Its Comorbidities J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2013 Jul;15(7):455-457.
- American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine/Interventional Cardiology
- American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine/Cardiology