Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Sherri R Cervantez, M.D.
Assistant Professor / Clinical
Dr. Sherri Cervantez is a faculty member at UT Health San Antonio with joint appointment to the Division of Hematology and Oncology and the Division of Geriatrics, Gerontology, and Palliative Medicine. She earned her B.S. in neuroscience and behavioral biology from Emory University. She received her medical doctorate from Virginia Commonwealth University and completed her residency in internal medicine at West Virginia University. She completed a fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University prior to completing her hematology and oncology fellowship at UT Health San Antonio. She joined UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2017 as Director of Palliative Oncology. Her clinical interests include lung cancers, head and neck cancers, and palliative oncology.
- 2017 - Clinical Fellowship - Hematology and Oncology - UT Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2014 - Clinical Fellowship - Hospice and Palliative Medicine - Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia
- 2013 - Residency - Internal Medicine - West Virginia University
- 2011 - Internship - Internal Medicine - West Virginia University
- 2010 - MD - Medicine - Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia
- 2005 - BS - Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology - Emory University
- 7/2017 - Assistant Professor/Clinical and UT Health Cancer Center Director of Palliative Oncology - UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson Cancer Center, Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 1/2017 - Present, Preceptor for Internal Medicine Residents and Hematology/Oncology Fellows, UT Health San Antonio Cancer Center, San Antonio, TX
- 1/2017 - Present, Preceptor for Hematology/Oncology Fellows, UT Health San Antonio Cancer Center, San Antonio, TX
Rauenzahn S, Cassel B, Del Fabbro E. A retrospective review of urine drug screen findings in an outpatient palliative care clinic. (Abstract S781); 2015 Feb. (Journal of Pain and Symptom Management; vol. 49, no. 2). Alesi E, Rauenzahn S, Lyckholm L. Palliating oncologists: A pilot study on primary palliative care development in hematology-oncology trainee outpatient clinics; 2014 Nov. (Journal of Clinical Oncology; vol. 32, no. 31). Shah N, Rauenzahn S, Wen S, Craig M, Kanate A, Hamadani M, Cumpston A. Long Term Outcomes of autologous hematopoietic cell transplant following thiotepa-based high dose therapy in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma; 2014 Feb. (Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation; vol. 20, no. 2). Alesi E, Rauenzahn S, Lyckholm L. Palliating oncologists: A pilot study on primary palliative care development in hematology-oncology trainee outpatient clinics. (suppl31; abstr 21); 2014 Jan. (Journal of Clinical Oncology; vol. Sup31, no. Abs21).
Cervantez S, Tenner L, Schmidt S, Aduba I, Jones J, Ali N, and S Singh-Carlson. Symptom Burden and Palliative Referral Disparities in an Ambulatory South Texas Cancer Center Frontiers Oncology 2018 Oct;8. Rauenzahn S, Sima A, Cassel B, Noreika D, Gomez T, Ryan L, Wolf C, Legakis, L, Del Fabbro E. Urine drug screen findings among ambulatory oncology patients in a supportive care clinic. doi: 10.1007/s00520-017-3575-1. Epub 2017 Jan 25. PMID 28120116 Supportive Care in Cancer 2017 Jun;25(6):1859-1864. Rauenzahn S, Schmidt S, Aduba I, Jones J, Ali N, Tenner L. Integrating palliative care services in ambulatory oncology: An application of the Edmonton Symptom Assessment System (ESAS). doi: 10.1200/JOP.2016.019372. Epub 2017 Mar 16. PMID: 28301279 Journal of Oncology Practice 2017 Apr;13(4):e401-e407. Shah N, Rauenzahn S, Veltri L, Wen S, Craig M, Hamadani M, Kanate A, Cumpston A. Long Term Outcomes after Thiotepa-based High dose therapy and Autologous hematopoietic cell transplant in Non-Hodgkin lymphomas. PMID: 27892948 Bone Marrow Transplantation 2017 Feb;52(2):321-322. Rauenzahn S, Truong Q, Leadmon S, Goff L, Evans K, Zhang J, Cumpston A, Win S, Craig M, Kanate A, Hamadani M. Predictors and impact of 30-day readmissions on patient outcomes and healthcare costs after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2013.12.559. Epub 2013 Dec 18. PMID: 24361913 Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 2014 Mar;20(3):415-420.
Rauenzahn S, Del Fabbro E. Opioid Management of pain: the impact of the prescription opioid abuse epidemic.doi: 10.1097/SPC.0000000000000065. Review. PMID: 25004173 Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care 2014 Sep;8(3):273-278.
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Hospice & Palliative Medicine