Departments & Divisions
Deborah L Carver, M.D.
Dr. Carver’s primary contribution to UT Health San Antonio is service to her patients. The majority of her clinical responsibilities are treating general neurology and headache patients at her daily MARC clinics. She is one of only 570 board- certified Headache Specialists, and the only one practicing in San Antonio. Dr Carver also serves as the director of the Headache Clinic at UTHSA, Dr. Carver works to ensure comprehensive headache care based on the patient‘s symptoms and personal preferences. To provide the best treatment, often, this includes incorporating multidisciplinary care by referring patients to other UTHSA providers in pain management, psychiatry, and physical therapy. A vital feature of the comprehensive care that we offer at UTHSA Headache Clinic is our interrogative approach to headache treatment. This approach includes searching for underlying inflammatory causes of their headaches and educating our patients on conservative ways to decrease the frequency and severity of their headaches.
Dr. Carver has established a reputation beyond UTHSA for her knowledge of headache medicine and the ketogenic lifestyle, which has allowed her to broaden her service to the community, UTHSA, and her patients.
Lastly Dr Carver has recently been made the director the Neurology Clerkship for the third medical students attending Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine.
- 1994 - MD - University of Kansas
- 1990 - BS - Biology with emphasis Chemistry & Psychology (Summa Cum Laude) - Baker University
- 1998 - Residency - Neurology - The University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio
- 1995 - Intenship - Internal Medicine - The University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio
Super Doctors List in Texas (2013-2020)
Outstanding Attending Physician and Teacher (2016)
Fellow of Texas Neurological Society (2015)
- 1/2010 - Associate Professor - UTHSCSA, Neurology, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 07/2013 - present, Clinical Skills, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 07/2013 - present, Headache Medicine Mind, Brain & Behavior, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 07/2011 - Present, Neurology Core Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2/2010 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision (UHS Neurology Ward/Consult Service), University Hospital
- 1/2010 - 07/2013, Adv Clin Eval Skills, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
Headache Medicine - I am currently one of only 570 who is Board Certified in Headache Medicine, from the United Council for Neurological Subspecialties. I specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with headaches and facial pain.
Ketogenic diet - I have extensively studied, both independently and by completing the advanced ketogenic nutrition course through the American Nutrition Association. I have had given many presentations on the benefits of the ketogenic diet for various neurological disorders. I am then able to pass this knowledge to my patients.
07/2019-Present Advising and Mentoring: Neurology Faculty mentor to Dr. Xing Tran during her 3rd year of residency
07/2018-Present Advising and Mentoring: Neurology Faculty mentor to Dr. Paola Martinez during her 3rd and 4th year of residency
07/2017-07/2018 Advising and Mentoring: Neurology Faculty mentor to Dr. Farzan Ghodsianzadeh during his 4th year of residency
02/2016-02/2017 President - Neurological Society
05/2020 Guest Speaker - Health Podcast with Dr Lisa Olszewski. (Invited participation in a podcast discussing brain health)
03/2020 Invited Participant - Interview: "Ask the Doctor" segment regarding headaches
11/2019 Invited speaker - Health Podcast with Dr Andrew Torchio (Invited participation in a podcast discussing brain health)
01/2019 Invited Participant - Television interview: "Ask the Doctor" segment regarding why my headaches are worse with weather changes
- American Board of P&N/Neurology