Departments & Divisions
Jose A Cadena Zuluaga, M.D.
Dr. Jose Cadena Zuluaga was awarded his Doctorate in Medicine from Instituto de Ciencias de la Sulud, Colombia in 2001 and completed his Residency in Internal Medicine and Fellowship in Infectious Diseases at the University of Texas Health Science Center. He is an Associate Professor in Infectious Diseases UT Health San Antonio and a staff physician at South Texas Veterans Healthcare System. He is the Medical Director of Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology and Assistant Chief of Infectious Diseases at South Texas Veterans Healthcare System. His expertise are antibiotic stewardship, infection prevention and control, and quality improvement in healthcare.
- 2009 - Postdoctoral Training - Quality improvement (NA) - MD Anderson Center
- 2009 - Clinical Fellowship - Infectious Diseases - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2008 - Clinical Fellowship - Infectious Disease - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2008 - Postdoctoral Training - Hospital Epidemiology (NA) - CDC/SHEA/ Johns Hopkins
- 2006 - Residency - Internal Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 2001 - MD - Internal Medicine - Instituto de Ciencias de la Salud
- 1995 - BA - Science - Colegio Calasanz
- 11/2009 - Medical Director Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology - South Texas Veterans Healthcare System, Infectious Diseases, San Antonio
- 11/2009 - Internal Medicine/ Infectious Diseases Physician - University Hospital, Medicine, San Antonio
- 10/2009 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UTHSCSA, Medicine, San Antonio
- 9/2009 - Medical Director Infection Control - Valley Coastal Bend VA Health Care System, Medicine, Harlingen
- 9/2009 - Internal Medicine/ Infectious Diseases Physician - South Texas Veterans Healthcare System, Medicine, San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 5/2010 - Present, Clinical ID- HIV core series for Residents and Fellows
- 9/2009 - Present, Medicine Clerkship, University Hospital/ STVHCS
- 9/2009 - Present, Inpatient ID consults
- 9/2009 - Present, Internal Medicine Didactic Conferences, UTHSCSA
- 9/2009 - Present, Team 6 Lecture Series, UTHSCSA/ STVHCS
- 9/2009 - Present, Tuesday conferences and journal club, UTHSCSA/ STVHCS
- 1/2009 - Present, Medicine Clerkship, The University of Texas Health Science Center
Research & Grants
Funding Agency Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development Service Title Checklist to Prevent MRSA Surgical Site Infections Status Active Period 1/2014 - 3/2018 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail The purpose of this project is to assess effectiveness of checklist implementation in preventing MRSA surgical site infections. Funding Agency Department of Veterans Affairs, Heath Services Research and Development Service Title Building an Optimal Hand Hygiene Bundle: A Mixed Methods Approach Status Active Period 1/2014 - 3/2018 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail The purpose of this project is to implement a hand hygiene bundle in acute care VA settings. Funding Agency VA R&D Title Gown and glove use in CLC Status Active Period 1/2015 - 12/2017 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail Funding Agency VHA Title HIV Telehealth Collaborative Care Status Active Period 10/2014 - 9/2017 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail This is a grant from VHA Office of Rural health. The goal is to implement an HIV management program using Telehealth at STVHCS and to evaluate its implementation and impact.
Funding Agency Sanofi Pasteur Title C difficile prevention study Status Active Period 7/2015 - Present Role Co-Principal Investigator Grant Detail Funding Agency Synexis Title A prospective, Multicenter, Open-Label, Randomized , Comparative Study to Estimate the Safety, Tolerability. Pharmacokinetics, and Efficacy of Oral SCY-78 vs. Standard of Care Following Initial Intravenous Echinocandin Therapy in the Treatment of Invasiv Status Complete Period 7/2015 - 7/2016 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail
Cadena J. Tuberculosis and other Mycobacterium. In: Cadena J. APIC Text of Infection Control and Epidemiology, 4th Edition. 2014.
Jose Cadena MD, Josephine Thinwa MD PhD, Elizabeth A. Walter MD, Christopher R. Frei PhD. Risk factors for the development of active methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection in patients colonized with MRSA at hospital admission American Journal of Infection Control 2016 Jun;. Cadena J, Thompson GR, Patterson TF, Cadena Zuluaga JA. Invasive Aspergillosis: Current Strategies for Diagnosis and Management Infect Dis Clin North Am 2016 Mar;30(1):125-142. Trautner BW, Grigoryan L, Petersen NJ, Hysong S, Cadena J, Patterson JE, Naik AD. Effectiveness of an Antimicrobial Stewardship Approach for Urinary Catheter-Associated Asymptomatic Bacteriuria JAMA Intern Med 2015 Jul;175(7):1120-1127. Cadena J, Richardson AM, Frei CR. Risk factors for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infection in MRSA-colonized patients discharged from a Veterans Affairs hospital Epidemiol Infect 2015 Jul;:1-5. Javeri H, Jamieson S, Sehgal R, Cadena J. Brucella canis peritonitis Infection 2014 Feb;42(1):195-197. Thompson G, Wang S, Bercovitch R, Bolaris M, Van Den Akker D, Taylor S, Lopez R, Catanzaro A, Cadena J, Chin-Hong P, Spellberg B. Routine CSF analysis in coccidioidomycosis is not required PLoS One 2013 May;8(5):64249-64249. Cadena Zuluaga JA, Thompson GR, Ho TT, Medina EA, Hughes DW, Patterson TF. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome after cessation of the tumor necrosis factor alpha blocker adalimumab in cryptococcal pneumonia Diagn Microbiol Infec Dis 2009 Jul;64(3):327-330.
Anstead GM, Cadena J, Javeri H. Treatment of Infections Due to Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Methods Mol Biol 2014 Jan;1085:259-309.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Infectious Disease