Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Elizabeth A Bowhay–Carnes, M.D.
Dr. Elizabeth Bowhay-Carnes is a Texas native and passionate about serving the people of her home community. She earned her bachelors of science degree in biochemistry from the University of Texas at Austin, followed by work with the MD Anderson Cancer Center Umbilical Cord Blood Bank in Houston. She received her medical doctorate from UT Health San Antonio and completed her residency in internal medicine and fellowship in hematology and medical oncology at the UT Health Science Center. She joined UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2016 as Director of the Adult Non-Malignant Hematology Program and Co-Director of the Adolescent/Young Adult Oncology Program. Her clinical interests include cancers of the blood, non-malignant disorders of the blood, and cancer of the soft tissue or bone.
- 2016 - Clinical Fellowship - Hematology Oncology Fellowship - The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2013 - Residency - Internal Medicine Residency - The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2005 - BS - Biochemistry - The University of Texas at Austin
- 8/2016 - Assistant Professor and Director of Non-Malignant Hematology, Co-Director of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Program - The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
Bowhay E. A Case of Pulmonary Artery Sarcoma (Pas) Presenting As Pulmonary Embolism; 2016 Jan. (Journal of Hospital Medicine). Bowhay E. Evaluation of leukocytosis: Benign or Malignant?; 2016 Jan. Bowhay-Carnes E, Fountzilas C, Janania Martinez M, Konkel B, Stormes B, Karnad A. Chemotherapy relative dose intensity and therapy efficacy in Hodgkin lymphoma; 2015 Jan. Le I, Karnad A, Liang Y, Fountzilas C, Shiao J, Liu R, Mazo Canola M, Mejia A, Bowhay-Carnes E, Weitman S. Chronic myeloid leukemia treatment outcomes in the era of tyrosine kinase inhibitors; 2015 Jan. Fountzilas C, Bowhay-Carnes E, Janania Martinez M, Konkel B, Stormes B, Le I, Mazo Canola M, Karnad A. Chemotherapy relative dose intensity and therapy efficacy in Hodgkin and NonHodgkin lymphoma: The effect of dose reductions and delays on cure; 2015 Jan. Fountzilas C, Bowhay-Carnes E, Le I, Shiao J, Karnad A. Hematologic malignancies in the Hispanic population: Are there barriers to ideal care?; 2014 Jan.
Bowhay-Carnes E, Karnad A, Haldar S, Sarantopoulos J, Madan S. Role of Novel Oral Anticoagulants in Primary and Secondary Thromboprophylaxis in Cancer J Hematol Thrombo 2015 Jan;3(5).
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine