Departments & Divisions
Brian Boies, MD, FASA
Brian T. Boies, MD, FASA is a board-certified anesthesiologist and pain medicine physician who is appointed as an Associate Professor/Clinical in the Department of Anesthesiology at UT Health San Antonio. He has served as the Program Director for the Anesthesiology Residency program since 2019.
Dr. Boies graduated cum laude from Rice University in Houston with a BS in Bioengineering. He then attended medical school at UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, after which he joined UT Health San Antonio for his residency in Anesthesiology. During his last year of residency, he was elected chief resident, and subsequently, he completed his fellowship in Pain Medicine at UT Health San Antonio in 2015.
Currently, Dr. Boies divides his time between anesthesiology, acute pain and regional anesthesiology, and outpatient chronic pain management. Dr. Boies speaks regularly at local and national meetings, including the annual meetings of AAPM&R, ASA, TSA, SIS, AAPM, and TMA’s TexMed. He is actively involved in multiple local committees, along with several national and international ones, such as the Spine Intervention Society’s Evidence Analysis Committee and the ASA Educational Track Subcommittee on Pain Medicine. Dr. Boies also is a strong advocate for the use of evidence-based medicine and utilizes his formal training in this as the editor-in-chief for Pain File, a pain medicine article abstracting service provided by Dannemiller, Inc. and as a member of the editorial board for the Interventional Pain Medicine Journal.
- 2022 - Master - Business - University of Texas San Antonio
- 2010 - Doctor of Medicine - Medicine - University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas
- 2006 - Bachelor of Science, cum laude - Bioengineereing - Rice University
- Anesthesiology Residency Program Director – 2019 to current
- Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (FASA)
- Dual Board Certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology
- Chief Resident 2013-2014
- 2020-present - Associate Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio
- 2015-2020 - Assistant Professor/Clinical - UT Health San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 2014-2015, Fellowship - Pain Medicine, UT Health San Antonio
- 2010-2014, Residency - Anesthesiology, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Program Director for Anesthesiology Residency – 2019 - present
- Associate Program Director for Residency – 2019
- Assistant Program Director for Residency – 2018-2019
- Director of Acute Pain Service – 2018-2020
- EPIC Clinician Champion for UT Pain Clinic – 2017 – present
- Director of Simulation – 2017-2019
- Member/alternate of Institutional Review Board – 2015 – present
- Member of Radiation Safety Committee – 2018 – present
- Member of Education and Innovation Action Committee – 2019- present
- Member of American Society of Anesthesiologists Committees - Committee on Residents and Medical Students (2019-2022)
- Education Track Subcommittee on Pain Medicine (2019 – present)
- Abstract Review Subcommittee on Chronic and Cancer Pain (2021-2022)
- Member of Texas Society of Anesthesiologists Committees – Education Sub-Committee on Resident Training (2021-2022)
- Professional Development Committee (2021-2022)
- Board of Directors Member of Bexar County Medical Society (BCMS) – 2020 – present
- President of San Antonio Society of Anesthesiologists (SASA) – 2020 – 2022
- Vice President of SASA – 2019-2020
- Vice Senate District Chair for TEXPAC Board of Directors – 2019 – present
- Chair of Reference Committee on Socioeconomics – TexMed 2019
- Member of Reference Committee on Socioeconomics – TexMed 2018
- Delegate from BCMS at TexMed – 2016 – present
- Editorial Board Member of Interventional Pain Medicine Journal – 2021 – present
- Editor-in-chief for PainFile from Dannemiller, Inc. – 2017 – present
- Evidence Analysis Committee Member of Spine Intervention Society – 2016 – present
- Reviewer for Pain Medicine, Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, A&A Practice
Nagpal AS, Boies BT, Clements N, Vydra D. Opioids in Pain In: Pangarkar S, Pham QG, Eapen BC. Pain Care Essentials and Innovations. St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier Inc; 2021. p. 229 - 244.
Eckmann MS, Boies BT. Scoliosis In: Bready LL, Hickey, R, and Noorily, SH, eds.. Decision Making in Anesthesiology, 5th Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Jaypee Brothers Medical Pub; 2019.
Nagpal AS, Fehl JE, Bickelhaupt B, Eckmann MS, Boies BT, Benfield J. Cancer Rehabilitation In: Essentials of Interventional Cancer Pain Management. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company; 2019.
Boies BT, Thome CM. Trigeminal Neuralgia In: Decision Making in Pain Management. 2017.
Boies BT, Horrocks A. Evaluation of the Geriatric Pain Patient In: Decision Making in Pain Management. 2017.
Boies BT, Thome CM. Peripheral Nerve Blocks In: Decision Making in Pain Management. 2017.
Boies BT. Differential Epidural/Spinal Blockade In: Decision Making in Pain Management. 2017.
Lai TT, Durning SJ, Boies BT. Chronic Abdominal Pain In: Decision Making in Pain Management. 2017.
Nagpal AS, Day, M, Eckmann MS, Boies BT, Driver, L. (eds). Ramamurthy‘s Decision Making in Pain Management, 3rd Edition New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishing; 2018.
Boies BT. Opioids: The Reversal of the Pendulum San Antonio Medicine (BCMS Magazine) 2017 Oct
Nagpal AS, Clements N, Boies B, Duszynski B. Response to Letter from Drs. Chapman and Kallewaard Pain Medicine 2021 Apr
Brennick, C, Bickelhaupt, B, Boies BT, Nagpal AS. Simplicity Radiofrequency Ablation Demonstrates Greater Functional Improvement Than Analgesia: A Prospective Case Series Pain Physician 2021 Mar;24(2):E185-E190.
Nagpal AS, Clements N, Duszynski B, Boies BT. The Effectiveness of Dorsal Root Ganglion Neurostimulation for the Treatment of Chronic Pelvic Pain and Chronic Neuropathic Pain of the Lower Extremity: A Comprehensive Review of the Published Data Pain Medicine 2021 Jan;22(1):49-59.
Singh P, Maita M, Lacci J, Boies BT, Revere A, Sirak ET, Seifi A. Anesthetic Errors During Procedures in the United States Southern Medical Journal 2019Sep;112(9):491-496.
Nagpal AS, Vydra D, Correa J, Zoch IA, Boies BT. Evidence Analysis of Sympathetic Blocks for Visceral Pain Curr Phys Med Rehabil Rep 2019 Jun:1-11.
- 2015 - American Board of Anesthesiology - Anesthesiology
- 2015 - American Board of Anesthesiology - Pain Medicine