Andrea E. Berndt, PhD, MS, BS
Andrea Berndt, Ph.D. is an associate professor and faculty member at the School of Nursing, teaching research and statistics courses in the undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. programs. Dr. Berndt`s statistical expertise includes univariate and multivariate statistical analysis, with extensive training in structural equation modeling and hierarchical linear modeling. Dr. Berndt`s research expertise is in quantitative methodology, measurement theory, instrument development, test validation, and institutional research. Dr. Berndt serves as the School Statistician and collaborates with faculty, students, staff, and community stakeholders on program evaluation and assessment, quality improvement projects, and conduct and interpretation of research studies. Since 1992, Dr. Berndt has taught a variety of courses in research methods and statistical analysis to students in undergraduate, masters, and doctoral programs. Dr. Berndt`s teaching philosophy is rooted in the principles of cognitivism, constructivism, and social learning theory. As an instructor, Dr. Berndt seeks to promote thinking through writing, to motivate students through independent and group projects, to stimulate and deepen students` interest in subject matter, and to relate subject matter to nursing, healthcare research, and patient care and safety.
- 1998 - Doctor of Philosophy - Industrial-Organizational Psychology - Old Dominion University
- 1994 - Master of Science - General/Experimental Psychology - Old Dominion University
- 1992 - Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Old Dominion University
Licensure and Certifications
- Unconscious Bias Workshop
- Quality Improvement Facilitator
- Quality Matters Online
- Comprehensive Systematic
Honors and Awards
- 2009, Ruth Stewart Unsung Hero, Chronic Nursing Care Department, UT Health San Antonio
- 2008, Excellence in Graduate Teaching, Chronic Nursing Care Department, UT Health San Antonio
- 2021 - present - LINC IPE Assessment and Evaluation Coordinator - UT Health San Antonio
- 2014 - Present - Associate Tenured Professor/Statistician - UT Health San Antonio, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- 2014 - Present - Associate Tenured Professor/Statistician - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2007 - Assistant Professor/Statistician - UT Health San Antonio, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- 2007 - Assistant Professor/Statistician - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Instruction & Training
- 2021, NURS 7111: Advanced Nursing Seminar, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2020 - present, NURS7320: Statistical Methods and Data Analysis to Evaluate Healthcare Delivery Systems, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2014 - Present, NURS 7373 Quantitative Research Methods II: Instrumentation and Measurement, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2013 - Present, NURS 7316 Statistical Analysis for Nursing Science, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2013 - Present, NURS 7375 Regression Models in Nursing Science, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2007 - Present, NURS 7382 Structural Equation Models for Nursing Science, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2020, NURE 5248, Art Rounds, Graduate Interprofessional Course, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2019, NURS 5307 Translational Research for Advanced Nursing Practice, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2017, NURS 5307 Translational Research for Advanced Nursing Practice, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2017, NURS 3375 Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Research & Grants
- 2020 – 2021 Funder: Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (PP180091) Dollars: $2,592,731. Title: STOP-HCC Expansion Grant, Year 3 – Budget. Role: Statistician (.20 FTE)
Submitted and Not Funded or Unfunded Research/Projects:
- 2021 – 2022, Funder: LINC Seed Grant, UT Health San Antonio Dollars: $4,800.00. Title: Art Rounds for Interprofessional Teams. Role: Co-PI with Dr. Golightly-Jenkins
- 2022 – 2024, Funder: Josiah R. Macy Foundation Board Grant Dollars: $440,377.00. Title: A National Curriculum to Consolidate Gains in Preclinical Interprofessional Education. Role: Co-PI (PI: J Zorek)
- 2018 – 2023, Funder: National Institutes of Health Dollars: $1,000,000.00. Title: A CTSA Collaboratory for Interprofessional Clinical Implementation Research. Role: Co-PI (%15 effort) PI: K. Stevens
- 2020 – 2022, Funder: Voelker Foundation Dollars: $300,000.00. Title: Decreasing barriers (social support, health literacy, transportation, and cost) to improve cervical cancer health disparities among young Hispanics in South Texas. Role: Consultant (%5 effort) PI: B Flores
- 2018 – 2020, Funder: National Institutes of Health Dollars: $433, 008.00. Title: The Impact of Ethnicity on Health Outcomes in Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery: An Exploratory Study. Role: Consultant (PI: B Zelle)
- 2017 – 2020, Funder: DHHS: Office of Adolescent Health Dollars: $1,498,270.00. Title: The South Texas Center for Adolescent Health: Meaningful Connections. Role: Co-Investigator (10% effort) PI: C. Sickora
- 2019, Funder: National Institutes of Health Dollars: $150,050.00. Title: Precision cancer prevention intervention by examining the pathways linking acculturation, health literacy, access and utilization of health care, patient-provider interaction and self-efficacy among Hispanics. Role: Consultant (5% effort) PI: B Flores
2022 – Present Stephanie Rowan, MSN, Translation Science, Doctoral Dissertation Committee, Proposal Defense and Semi-Annual Evaluation Completed. 1 hour bi-weekly
2022 – Present Melanie Taverna, MSDH, Health Sciences PhD Program, Doctoral Dissertation Committee Member
2021 – Present Kirsten Verkamp, Qualifying Examination Chairperson [completed], Doctoral Dissertation Chair, Dissertation Proposal in Progress. Veteran Re-Integration: Relations with Enrichment and Challenges
2021 - Present Bassma Brnawi, PhD Candidate, Doctoral Dissertation Chair, Dissertation defended 07/2021, 4-6 hours/week Saudi Arabian pediatric nurses' knowledge and attitudes about identifying and reporting child abuse and neglect.
2021 – Present Stephanie Rowan, MSN, Translation Science, Doctoral Dissertation Committee
2021 – Present Sara Masoud, MPH, Translational Science, Mentorship Committee Advisor
2020 – Present Ruben Mata, MSN, DNP Committee Member
2019 - Present Bassma Brnawi, PhD Candidate, Doctoral Dissertation Chair
2018 – Present Christina McElvogue, PhD student, Dissertation Proposal, Doctoral Dissertation Chair
2018 – Present Lone Engledowl, PhD Candidate, Doctoral Dissertation Chair
- 2022 UT Health SA SON, Search Committee, Director of Academic Assessment and Compliance
- 2022 – Present UT Health SA LINC Assessment Council Chair
- 2021 – Present UT Health SA Graduate Faculty Council, Member
- 2021 – Present UT Health SA SON, PhD COGS Chair
- 2020 – Present, UT Health SA, LINC Assessment Council, Member
- 2018 – Present, UT Health SA, GSBS, Assessment/Curriculum, Committee, Member
- 2016 – Present, UT Health SA, SON, DNP Working Group, Member
- 2014 – Present, UT Health SA, SON, PhD Working Group, Member
- 2007 – Present, UT Health SA, Institutional Review Board, Member
- 2007 – Present, UT Health SA, Institutional Review Board, Alternate
- 2018, UT Health SA GSBS, Member, Search Committee for the Associate Dean of the Graduate School for Biomedical Sciences
Service to the Profession
- 2016 – Present Reviewer Nursing: Research and Reviews
- 2015 – Present Reviewer Research in Nursing and Health
- 2014 – Present Reviewer Public Health Nursing
- 2013 – Present Reviewer Dove Medical Press Journals
- 2011 – Present Reviewer American Journal of Public Health
- 2015 – 2016 Textbook Reviewer SAGE Publications
- 1998-Present, American Statistical Association, Member
- 1992-Present, American Psychological Association (APA), Member
- 2017 – 2018, Consultant, LINKS Inc, San Antonio TX Chapter
- 2008 – 2014, Consultant, University Health System (UHS), San Antonio, TX
- *Hughes KN, Berndt AE, Gill S. Application of the flipped classroom approach in an undergraduate maternal/newborn nursing course. Creative Nursing 2022, 27 (1).
- *Souza, PA, Avant KC, Berndt AE. Nursing diagnoses of impaired memory and chronic confusion for older adults: Diagnostic content validation. Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem., 2021, 74 (suppl 2) ISSN 0034-7167
- *Sowan AK, Staggers N, Berndt A, Austin T, Reed CC, Malshe A, Kilger M, Fonseca E, Vera A. Improving the Safety, Effectiveness, and Efficiency of Clinical Alarm Systems: Simulation-Based Usability Testing of Physiologic Monitors. JMIR Nursing 2021; 4(1); e20584, DOI: 10.2196/20584
- *Jiwani R, Wang J, Berndt A, Ramaswamy P, Mathew Joseph N, Du Y, Ko J, & Espinoza S. Changes in patient-reported outcome measures with a technology-supported behavioral lifestyle intervention among patients with Type 2 diabetes: Pilot randomized controlled clinical trial. JMIR Diabetes 2020;5(3): e19268) doi: 10.2196/19268
- Berndt AE. Sampling methods. Journal of Human Lactation 2020, 36 (2), 224-226.
- Golightly-Jenkins C, & Berndt AE. Art Rounds: Advancing communication for interprofessional teams. Voice of Nursing Leadership 2020 May, 14-17.
- *Sowan AK, Vera, A, Fonseca, E, Reed, CC, Tarriela, A, & Berndt AE. Nurse competence on physiologic monitor use: Toward eliminating alarm fatigue in intensive care units The Open Medical Informatics Journal 2017 Jan;11
- *Williams GB, & Berndt AE. Community-based partnership to improve parenting skills and academic achievement and reduce subsequent births. International Journal of Nursing & Clinical Practice 2016;3(192) http://dx.doi.org/10.15344/2394-4978/2016/192
- Berndt AE. Building the body of rehabilitation nursing knowledge through research, Chapter 5 In: Reigle, B & Berndt, A. The Specialty Practice of Rehabilitation Nursing: A Core Curriculum 7th Edition. The Association of Rehabilitation Nurses; 2015.
- *Borgfeld D, Overbaugh, K, Berndt A. Advance Care Planning Conversations: Measuring Registered Nurses' Self-Efficacy Before and After an Educational Intervention, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2019 Feb. p. 456-456
- *Allegretti AL, Barnes KJ, Berndt A. The Impact of Use of a Ride-On Toy Car by Children with Mobility Impairment. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy 2018, 72 Apr
- *Ybarra, L, Berndt A. People with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 Living with and without Medicaid Expansion. Proceedings in Communicating Nursing Research Conference, 50, 2017 Apr. Western Institute of Nursing Research Assembly
- *McElvogue, C, Berndt AE. The Influence of Simulation Experience and Confidence on Nurses' Performance in a Megacode Scenario Proceedings in Communicating Nursing Research Conference, 50, 2017 Apr. Western Institute of Nursing Research Assembly
- 2020 “Outcomes of a virtual, large-scale, self-directed interprofessional education series based on novel case studies.” Texas Interprofessional Education Consortium, Excellence in Virtual IPE Learning Today for a Better Healthcare Tomorrow Virtual Meeting . Quinene M, Farokhi MR, Ford LA, Krolick KA, Ratcliffe TA, Blankmeyer B, Johnson L, Berndt A, Zorek JA.
- 2018 “Positive Impact of the Ride-On Toy Car for Children with Disabilities”, 6th Annual European Seating Symposium, Assistive Devices, European Seating Symposium, Dublin, Ireland . Allegretti, A., Barnes, K., Berndt, A.
- 2018 “The use of a ride on toy car by children with mobility impairment”, AOTA Annual Conference and Expo, American Occupational Therapy Association, Salt Lake City, UT . Allegretti A, Barnes K, Berndt AE.
- 2016 “Concept Clarification of Nursing Diagnoses of Impaired Memory and Chronic Confusion”, NANDA International Conference, Cancun, Mexico, Received Best Paper Award. Alfradique de Souza P, Avant KC, Berndt AE.
- 2021 “Innovation in Large-Scale Interprofessional Education Delivery: A Response to COVID-19“, UT System Shine Academy - Innovations Conference 2021 Virtual Annual Meeting, February 19th, 2021. Quinene M, Farokhi MR, Ford LA, Krolick KA, Ratcliffe TA, Blankmeyer B, Johnson L, Berndt A, Zorek JA
- 2019 “Advance Care Planning Conversations: Measuring Registered Nurses' Self-Efficacy Before and After an Educational Intervention”, 2019 Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care, QI Project Poster Session, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Orlando, FL. Borgfeld, J., Overbaugh, K., Berndt, A
- 2017 “Ride-on toy car, an innovative and feasible method of mobility”, ASAHP Annual Conference, Occupational Therapy, Association of Schools of Allied Health Professionals, San Antonio, TX. Allegretti A, Barnes K, & Berndt AE
- 2017 “People with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 Living with and without Medicaid Expansion”, 50th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Western Institute of Nursing Research, Denver, CO. Ybarra L, & Berndt AE
- 2017 “The Influence of Simulation Experience and Confidence on Nurses’ Performance in a Megacode Scenario”, 50th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Western Institute of Nursing Research,
- Denver, CO McElvogue C, Rizzo T, & Berndt AE.
- 2016 “Pressure Ulcer Patients in Outpatient Hospital Settings: A Risk Factor Analysis”, 2016 WOCN Society & CAET Joint Conference, Toronto, Canada. Potter, ML & Berndt, AE.
- 2016 “Social Determinants and America's Diabetes Belt: Why Do They Matter?”3rd Annual Cultural Inclusion Institute, San Antonio, TX. Ybarra, L & Berndt, AE.
Peer-reviewed Articles (*indicates data-based)
Invited Podium Presentations (i. e. keynotes presentations)
Peer Reviewed Podium Presentations
Peer Reviewed Poster Presentations