Departments & Divisions
Bobby Belarmino, PT, DPT, PhD, CCS
Dr. Bobby Belarmino received his Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy at Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation in the Philippines, his Master’s degree in Applied Physiology at Columbia University in New York. He then completed his Doctor of Physical Therapy at MGH Institute of Health Professions at Boston, Massachusetts, and then completed his PhD in Physical Therapy at Texas Woman’s University in Houston, Texas. He is a Cardiopulmonary Clinical Specialist (CCS), certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialty. Dr. Belarmino is the only CCS in the San Antonio area and one of a few with this certification in State of Texas. His research interests are in the area of ICU rehabilitation, reducing hospital readmission in cardiovascular and pulmonary populations, and improving frailty in elderly population through rehabilitation interventions.
- 2020 - PhD - Physical Therapy - Texas Woman's University (Houston)
- 2006 - Doctor of Physical Therapy - MGH Institute of Health Professions
- 2003 - Master of Arts - Applied Physiology - Columbia University
- 1992 - Bachelor of Science - Physical Therapy - Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation
2003, Excellence Team Award for Rehab Center Physical Therapists “Acute Care” Team, Mount Sinai Hospital, NY, NY
2010, Faculty Speaker, Graduation Ceremony of Class 2010, Department of Physical Therapy, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
2012, Faculty Speaker, Graduation Ceremony of Class 2012, Department of Physical Therapy, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
2012, Merit Award Recipeint, Cardiovascular and Pulmoanry Section, APTA
- 03/2019 - Assistant Professor - UT Health San Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 07/2012 to 12/2021 , Adjunct Faculty (Guest Lecturer/ Lab Instructor), Texas Woman’s University (Houston Campus)
- 01/2019 to 03/2020, Rehab Education Specialist and Faculty Clinical Mentor , Houston Methodist Hospital
- 07/2012 to 12/2018 , Senior Physical Therapist (Level 4)/ Clinical Mentor , Houston Methodist Hospital
- 12/2017 to 06/2017 , Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Texas Medical Branch
- 06/2016 to 06/2017 , Contributing Author for Geriatric Certification Tract, Evidenced in Motion (EIM)
- 08/2008 to 07/2012 , Assistant Professor in Clinical Physical Therapy/ Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education, New York Medical College
- 06/2007 to 08/2008 , Master Clinician and Program Director (Outpatient Pulmonary Rehab Program), Mount Sinai Hospital (NY, NY)
- 10/2005 to 06/2007 , Physical Therapy Supervisor (Cardiopulmonary/Orthopedic Unit), Burke Rehabilitation Hospital
- 02/2004 to 08/2008 , Adjunct Faculty , Hunter College, CUNY
- 06/2002 to 09/2005 , Advance Physical Therapy Clinician , Mount Sinai Hospital (Cardiac Care Center), NY, NY
- 06/2001 to 06/2002, Adjunct Instructor , Long Island University (Brooklyn, NY)
- 03/1999 to 06/2002 , Senior Physical Therapist II, Mount Sinai Hospital (Cardiac Care Center), NY, NY
- 03/1999 to 12/2001 , Home Health Physical Therapist, Mount Sinai Home Health Agency, NY, NY
- 01/1998 to 02/1999 , Staff Physical Therapist, Mediplex Outpatient Rehabilitation Center, Bradenton, FL
- 11/1995 to 12/1998 , Senior Physical Therapist, Riverfront Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, Bradenton, FL
- 03/1994 to 11/1995 , Traveling Physical Therapist, Sunbelt Physical Therapy Services, Inc.
- 10/1992 to 04/1993 , Staff Physical Therapist, St. Luke’s Medical Center
- 08/1992 to 10/1992 , Volunteer Physical Therapist, The Medical City General Hospital
Research & Grants
ICU rehabilitation, use of inspiratory muscle trainer to ventilatory dependent s/p lung transplant patients, and reducing hospital readmissions
Chair, Student Progress Commitee
Member, Admisison Commitee
Member, Interprofessional Education Commitee
02/2019- Present: Reviewer, CSM Abstracts of the Academy of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy (APTA)
02/2019- Present: Grant Reviewer, Academy of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy (APTA)
02/2008 to 02/2013: Co-Chair of Public Relations, Section of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy (APTA)
03/2009 to 06/2009: Item Writer, Federation of State Board of Physical Therapy
10/2019- Present: Abstarct Reviewer, World Physiotherapy Congress 2021
Perme C, Belarmino B, Lapnawan J, Paranilam J, Ragsdale J, Scheinin S. Characteristics of patients refereed to acute care physical therapy in the intensive care unit after lung transplant. Poster presentation at 2017 NEXT Conference and Exposition (APTA), Nashville, TN.
Perme C, Schell W, Mondkar R, Lapnawan J, Estrada C, Reeves K, Bjorkland R, Belarmino B, Stawarz-Gugala A, Paranilam J, Ragsdale J. Safety and feasibility of mobilizing patients with external ventricular and lumbar drains. Platform presentation 2018 Combined Sections Meeting (APTA), New Orleans, LA.
Belarmino B, Mitchell, K, Gleeson P, Lin SJ, Mondkar R. Effects of exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure: An updated systematic review. Poster presentation at 2018 Combined Sections Meeting (APTA), New Orleans, LA.
Perme, C, Schwing, T, de Guzman K, Arnold, C, Stawarz-Gugaka, A, Paranilam, J, Belarmino B, Bjorklund R, Bridges C, Estrada C, Lapnawan J, Mondkar R, Schell W, Ragsdale J. Relationship of the Perme ICU Mobility Score and Medical Research Council Sum Score with discharge destination for patients in five different intensive care units. Poster presentation at the 2019 Combined Sections Meeting (APTA), Washington, DC.
Belarmino B, Mitchell K, Gleeson P, Lin SJ. Characteristics of patients who had unplanned versus planned hospital readmissions while receiving post-acute inpatient rehabilitation. Poster presented at the 2019 Texas Physical Therapy Association (TPTA) Annual Conference, Woodlands, TX.
Belarmino B, Mitchell K, Gleeson P, Bickley C. Effects of acute physical therapy services on individuals with acute decompensated heart failure. Poster presented to 2020 Combined Sections Meeting (APTA), Denver, CO.
Belarmino B, Mitchell K, Gleeson P, Bickley C. Effects of Acute Physical Therapy on Psychosocial Attributes of Individuals with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Poster presented (Virtual) to 2021 Combined Sections Meeting (APTA).
Belarmino B, Mitchell K, Gleeson P, Bickley C. Factors Predicitng All-Cause 30-Day Hospital Readmisison on Individuals with Acute Decompenated Heart Failure. Platform presentation (Virtual) to 2021 Combined Sevtions Meeting (APTA).
- Belarmino B, Mitchell K, Gleeson P, & Bickley C. Effects of acute physical therapy services on individuals with acute decompensated heart failure. (Poster Presentation). Arch Phys Med Rehabil.2021 Oct;102(10):e98-e99.DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2021.07.771.
- Stolboushkin C, Mondkar R, Schwing T, & Belarmino B. Physical Therapy Practice for Critically Ill Patients with COVID-19 in the Intensive Care Unit. Cardiopulm. Phys. Ther. J. 2021 . Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1097/CPT.0000000000000188.
- 2025 - Board Certified in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy