Departments & Divisions
Reza Behrouz, DO,FAAN, FAHA
Dr. Behrouz is a Professor of Neurology at Lozano Long School of Medicine and specializes in stroke and cerebrovascular diseases (vascular neurology). He is triple board-certified in neurology, vascular neurology, and neurocritical care. He has over 60 peer-reviewed publications and has co-authored a book on complications of acute stroke.
Dr. Behrouz’s research interests include inflammatory makers in intracerebral hemorrhage, thrombolysis in acute cerebral ischemia, and pediatric stroke.
- 2001 - Doctor of Osteopathic - Medicine - Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 1996 - BS - Neurosciences - Univ of Florida College of Arts & Sciences, Tampa, FL
- 2007 - Fellowship - Vascular Neurology - University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL
- 2006 - Residency - Neurology - University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL
- 2003 - Internship - Internal Medical - University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL
- 2002 - Internship - Osteopathic Medicine - Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Largo, FL
Castle Connolly Top Doctors
- 09/2020-present - Professor - UT Health San Antonio, Neurology, San Antonio
- 08/2015 - 08/2020 - Associate Professor / Clinical - UT Health San Antonio, Neurology, San Antonio
- 0/2011-08/2014 - Assistant Professor/Director, Vascular Neurology Fellowship Program - Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH
Instruction & Training
- 025/2017-present, Neurology Clinical Skills, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 07/2015-present, Neurology Resident Didactics and Journal Club, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 07/15-present, Neurology Core Clerkship, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 07/15-present, Neurology Rotation Elective, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
Research & Grants
Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases - My areas of expertise are cerebrovascular diseases, acute stroke treatment, determinants of outcome in intracerebral hemorrhage, inflammatory markers in intracerebral hemorrhage and subarachnoid hemorrhage, infections and cerebrovascular diseases, the relationship between cannabis use and cerebrovascular diseases. I have over 60 publications in peer-reviewed journals, including research studies, topical reviews, and editorials. I also have written 4 book chapters and am an editor, along with a colleague, of a book titled, Complications of Acute Stroke: A Concise Guide to Prevention, Recognition, and Management, published in March 2019.
A Phase III, Prospective, Double Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Thrombolysis in Imaging-Eligible, Late Window Patients to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Tenecteplase (TIMELESS)
AtRial Cardiopathy and Antithrombotic Drugs in prevention After cryptogenic stroke
01/2018 - Present
Efficient Resource Utilization for Patients with Intracerebral Hemorrhage (EnRICH)
07/2018 - Present
NIH StrokeNetThe NIH has created the NIH StrokeNet to conduct small and large clinical trials and research studies to advance acute stroke treatment, stroke prevention, and recovery and rehabilitation following a stroke. This network of 25 regional center
Mentor to Resident: Farzan Ghodsianzadeh- Career, (01/2018-05/2019)
Mentor to Medical Student: Lauren Fanty - Research (11/2016-03/2017)
Mentor to Resident: Alejandro Santillan, MD- Research (07/2016-06/2017)
Mentor to Fellow: Raghav V. Aachi, MD - Research (07/2016-05/2017)
Mentor to Resident: Andrew Slusher, MD - Career (04/2016-05/2017)
Conference Chair - UT Health San Antonio Symposium on Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases (10/2017)
Abstract Reviewer/Judge - International Stroke Conference, Los Angeles, CA (06/2019)
Ad Hoc Reviewer - Neurocritical Care (06/2018-present)
Abstract Reviewer/Judge - Intentional Stroke Conference, Los Angeles, CA (06/2017)
Abstract Reviewer/Judge - Intentional Stroke Conference, Houston, TX (06/2016)
Ad Hoc Reviewer - Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry (06/2016-present)
Delegate - Neurology on the Hill (06/2016-present)
Iran Phoenix Project - Member (03/2019-present)
Silver B, T. Hamid T, Khan M, DiNapoli M, Behrouz R, Saposnik G, Sarafin J, Martin S.. 12 versus 24 Hour Bed Rest After Acute Ischemic Stroke Thrombectomy 2019. (American Heart Association International Stroke Conference - Honolulu, Hawaii)
Slaughter KB, Bambhroliya AB, Meeks JR, Ahmed WO, Bowry R, Behrouz R, Mir O, Begley CE, Tyson JE, Miller CC, Warach SJ, McCullough LD, Savitz SI, Vahidy FS.. Direct Assessment of Health Utilities Among Patients With Intracerebral Hemorrhage Using the Standard Gamble Method 2019. (American Heart Association International Stroke Conference - Honolulu, Hawaii)
Santillan A, Slisher A, Agarwal, T, Fanty L, Aachi RV, Behrouz R.. Diagnostic yield of computed tomography angiography and cerebral angiography in patients with acute spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage. 2017. (American Academy of Neurology Annual Conference - Boston, Massachusetts)
Fanty L, Santillan A, Slusher A, Agarwal T, Aachi RV, Behrouz R.. A Comparison of Age, Gender, and Initial Blood Pressure between Hispanic and Non-Hispanic Intracerebral Hemorrhage Patients. 2017. (American Academy of Neurology Annual Conference - Boston, Massachusetts)
Paley L, Bray B, James M, Tyrrell P, Behrouz R, Smith CJ, Di Napoli M, Cloud G, Rudd A. Complications and Outcomes of Thrombolysis in Stroke Patients Aged 90 and Over: UK National Registry Data 2016. (American Heart Association International Stroke Conference - Los Angeles, California)
Behrouz R, Birnbaum LA.. Complications of Acute Stroke: An Introduction In: Behrouz R, Birnbaum LA.. Complications of Acute Stroke: A Concise Guide to Prevention, Recognition, and Management. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company; 2019
Behrouz R, Birnbaum LA (Ed). Complications of Acute Stroke: A Concise Guide to Prevention, Recognition, and Management New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company; 2019
Behrouz R. The Rise and Fall of Transcranial Doppler Ultrasonography for the Diagnosis of Vasospasm in Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. J Neurosurgical Anesthesiology 2019 Jan;31(1):79-80
Behrouz R. Transient ischemic attack: A diagnosis of convenience Am J Emerg Med 2017 Dec;35(12):1979-1981 Behrouz R, Achi RV. Letter by Behrouz and Aachi Regarding Article, "Cannabis, Tobacco, Alcohol Use, and the Risk of Early Stroke: A Population-Based Cohort Study of 45 000 Swedish Men" Stroke 2017 Feb;48(5):e133
Morovatdar N, Thrift AG, Stranges S, Kapral M, Behrouz R, Amiri A, Heshmati A, Ghahremani A, Farzadfard MT, Mokhber N, Azarpazhooh MR.. Socioeconomic Status and Long-Term Stroke Mortality, Recurrence and Disability in Iran: The Mashhad Stroke Incidence Study. Neuroepidemiology 2019 Apr;16:1-5.
Mobarra N, Morovatdar N, Di Napoli M, Stranges S, Behrouz R, Amiri A, Farzadfard MT, Hashemy SI, Oskoii R, Khorram B, Azarpazhooh MR.. The Association between Inflammatory Markers in the Acute Phase of Stroke and Long-Term Stroke Outcomes: Evidence from a Population-Based Study of Stroke. Neuroepidemiology 2019 Apr;16:1-7.
Farzadfard MT, Sheikh Andalibi MS, Thrift AG, Morovatdar N, Stranges S, Amiri A, Kapral MK, Behrouz R, Juibary AG, Mokhber N, Azarpazhooh MR.. Long-term disability after stroke in Iran: Evidence from the Mashhad Stroke Incidence Study. International Journal of Stroke 2019 Jan;14(1):44-47.
Saber H, Palla M, Kazemlou S, Azarpazhooh MR, Seraji-Bozorgzad N, Behrouz R.. Network meta-analysis of patent foramen ovale management strategies in cryptogenic stroke. Neurology 2018 Jul;91(1):e1-e7.
Salehi M, Amiri A, Thrift AG, Kapral MK, Sposato L, Behrouz R, Fang J, Shoeibi A, Hashemi P, Farzadfard MT, Mokhber N, Azarpazhooh MR. Five-Year Recurrence Rate and the Predictors Following Stroke in the Mashhad Stroke Incidence Study: A Population-Based Cohort Study of Stroke in the Middle East. Neuroepidemiology 2018 Mar;50(1-2):18-22.
Amiri A, Kapral MK, Thrift AG, Sposato LA, Saber H, Behrouz R, Erfanian M, Farzadfard MT, Mokhber N, Azarpazhooh MR.. The Incidence and Characteristics of Stroke in Urban-Dwelling Iranian Women. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2018 Mar;27(3):547-554.
Behrouz R, Masjuán-Vallejo J, Vera R, Willey JZ, Zedet M, Moulin S, Cordonnier C, Klijn CJM, Kanselaar K, Dirks M, Silver B, Khan M, Azarpazhooh MR, Godoy DA, Roffe C, Paley L, Bray BD, Smith CJ, Di Napoli M; ITAS-90+ Collaborative.. Outcomes of Nonagenarians with Acute Ischemic Stroke Treated with Intravenous Thrombolytics. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018 Jan;27(1):246-256.
Aachi RV, Birnbaum LA, Topel CH, Seifi A, Hafeez S, Behrouz R.. Laboratory characteristics of ischemic stroke patients with atrial fibrillation on or off therapeutic warfarin. Clinical Cardiology 2017 Dec;40(12):1347-1351.
9. Salehi M, Amiri A, Thrift AG, Kapral MK, Sposato L, Behrouz R, Fang J, Shoeibi A, Hashemi P, Farzadfard MT, Mokhber N, Azarpazhooh MR.. Long-Term Outcomes of Ischemic Stroke of Undetermined Mechanism: A Population-Based Prospective Cohort. Neuroepidemiology 2017 Dec;49(3-4):160-164.
Saber H, Thrift AG, Kapral MK, Ashkan S, Amiri A, Farzadfard MT, Behrouz R, Azarpazhooh MR.. Incidence, Recurrence and Long Term Survival of Ischemic Stroke Subtypes: A Population-Based Study in the Middle East. International Journal of Stroke 2017 Oct;12(8):835-843.
Di Napoli M, Behrouz R, Topel CH, Misra V, Pomero F, Giraudo A, Pennati P, Masotti L, Schreuder FHBM, Staals J, Klijn CJM, Smith CJ, Parry-Jones AR, Slevin MA, Silver B, Willey JZ, Azarpazhooh MR, Vallejo JM, Nzwalo H, Popa-Wagner A, Godoy DA; MNEMONICH Investigators.. Hypoalbuminemia, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, and functional outcome in intracerebral hemorrhage. Journal of Critical Care 2017 Oct;41:247-253.
12. Saber H, Amiri A, Thrift AG, Stranges S, Bavarsad Shahripour R, Farzadfard MT, Mokhber N, Behrouz R, Azarpazhooh MR.. Epidemiology of Intracranial and Extracranial Large Artery Stenosis in a Population-Based Study of Stroke in the Middle East. Neuroepidemiology 2017 Aug;48(3-4):188-194.
13. Behrouz R, Misra V, Godoy DA, Topel CH, Masotti L, Klijn CJM, Smith CJ, Parry-Jones AR, Slevin MA, Silver B, Willey JZ, Masjuán Vallejo J, Nzwalo H, Popa-Wagner A, Malek AR, Hafeez S, Di Napoli M; MNEMONICH Investigators.. Clinical Course and Outcomes of Small Supratentorial Intracerebral Hematomas. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017 Jun;26(6):1216-1221.
- 2018 - Neurology - American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Recertification)
- 2018 - Vascular Neurology - American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Recertification)
- 2011 - Neurocritcal Care - United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties