Myriam Soraya Barragan, M.D.
Board Certified Pediatrics and Pediatric Gastroenterologist. I had increased my experience in general pediatric gastroenterology/ hepatology and nutrition, endoscopy, colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy, PH impedance studies and Ano Rectal Manometry.
I worked in research in intestinal lumen and gut microbiome, Cystic fibrosis and nutrition, Obesity, Non alcoholic Fatty Liver disease and Non alcoholic steatohepatitis. Research Vitamin D and dendritic cells.
EXPERTISE: Anorectal manometry - Anorectal Manometry and Rectal suction biopsy. Capsule endoscopy Colonoscopy Endoscopy - Endoscopy to diagnose and, sometimes, treat conditions that affect the esophagus, stomach and beginning of the small intestine (duodenum). Including Variceal Banding Bleeding, balloon dilation. Ileoscopy, polypectomy. Wireless PH impedance study, Bravo.
- 2015 - Fellowship - Pediatric Gastroenterology - University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
- 2012 - Residency - Pediatrician - Texas Tech University Health Science Center
- 2002 - Certificate - Pharmacology and epidemiology - Universidad de la Sabana
- 2000 - MPH - Health care administration - Universidad Pontificia Javeriana
- 1998 - Residency - Pediatrician - Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
- 1993 - MD - Physician - Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- 11/2019 - Assistant Professor and Pediatric Gastroenterologist, Assistant Professor - UT HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER AT SAN ANTONIO, Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, San Antonio
- 07/2015 - Assistant Professor and Pediatric Gastroenterology - BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE. TEXAS CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL, Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Houston, TX
- 05/2018 - Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition - NEMOURS UNIVERSITY. WEST FLORIDA HOSPITAL, HCA,
- 07/1998 - 11/2004 - Medical Director - CLINICA COLSANITAS S.A AND FUNDACION UNIVERSITARIA SANITAS, Bogota and Medellin, Colombia
- 03/2005 - 06/2008 - Consultant/Medical Director - FIRST CARE COLOMBIA, LLC, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 03/1990 - 05/1991 - Forensic investigation and pathology - INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE MEDICINA LEGAL Y CIENCAS FORENSES, Bogota, Colombia
Instruction & Training
- 07/2012-062015, Fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition , CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL OF PITTSBURGH OF UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- 07/2009 to 06/2012, Pediatric residency , TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER, El Paso, TX
Research & Grants
Nutritional Rehabilitation Strategies for Pediatric Liver Transplant Candidates.
Participation, Nutrition and GI problems in Cystic Fibrosis.
Vitamin D and dendritic cells, immunoregulatory process.
Study of Fecal Microbiota Transplantation in Pediatric Patients with Relapse Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Recurrent C. difficile infection.
PROTECT Study, PRO12020672 Predicting Response to Standardized Pediatric Colitis Therapy.
Participation Observational Study of Children with Acute Liver Failure in North America, PRO11110681.
Bacteremia and Sepsis Prevention and Management with Ethanol Lock, in Patients with Tunneled Catheter; Protocol development.
Improve Obesity Management, Evaluation and follow obese patients and related conditions
Implementation PH impedance studies
Participant Child, elderly care task force committee, created during COVID-19 pandemic emergency lead by Dr. Cynthia Blanco.
International Committee at NASPAGHAN, Board Member.
Reviewer, “Dysphagia,” American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Care Online (https://pediatriccare.solutions.aap.org/Content.aspx?gbosid=165501); June, 2019
Journal Article 1. Barragan MS, MD, Misty Good, MD and Jay Kolls, MD. Regulation of Dendritic Cell Function by Vitamin D Nutrients 2015, 7(9), 8127-8151 2015 Sep:8127-8151.
I am responsible for the direct care of inpatient and outpatient services and provided care and treatment for patients in the pediatric gastroenterology clinic and perform procedures.
I had provided medical care for hundreds of patients with diverse gastrointestinal medical conditions as well inpatient consults. Learned by attending weekly and annual academic conferences.
EXPERTISE: Anorectal manometry - Anorectal Manometry and Rectal suction biopsy, Capsule endoscopy, Colonoscopy - EGD Variceal Banding Bleeding, balloon dialtion, polypectomy and others. Ileoscopy
Wireless PH impedance study
- 2015 - Board certified in Pediatric Gastroenterology - American Academy of Pediatrics and its Subboard of Pediatric Gastroenterology
- 2012 - American Academy of Pediatrics certified in Pediatrics - American Board of Pediatrics