Departments & Divisions
Institutes & Centers
Chatchawin Assanasen, M.D., M.B.A.
Interim Chief Medical Officer UT Health Physicians Ambulatory Services
Children's Cancer Research Institute Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology
Professor of Pediatrics - Division of Hematology / Oncology
Currently seeking M.S. students
As an Professor of Pediatrics in the UT Health San Antonio Division of Hematology/Oncology, Responsible Investigator for our COG site, recent co-investigator for our Minority Based CCOP (MB-CCOP) in south Texas, and holder of the Children’s Cancer Research Institute Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology I continue to have great interest in cancer control concepts improving outcomes and reducing the burden of childhood and AYA cancers. Before joining UT Health San Antonio, I was faculty and COG PI of Nemours Children’s Clinic in Pensacola, Florida and significantly involved in the Florida pediatric-based CCOP. I also founded and continue to lead our NCI designated cancer center’s global outreach program in education and research in southeast Asia, collaborating with pediatric oncology centers in Hanoi, Hue, and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam as well as academic institutions in Bangkok, Thailand and Singapore. The goals of this program, while on a different continent, are similar in nature to those of our MB-NCORP. Ongoing projects include: 1) development of a regional multi-site leukemia treatment protocol; 2) tumor and DNA banking from pediatric cancer patients; 3) establishment of a clinical research office; and 4) assessment and comparison of tumor biology and outcomes between Vietnam and the United States. Our current project has successfully developed an in-country subspecialty training program in Pediatric Hematology & Oncology. I continue to work closely with my colleagues in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) investigating attitudes toward fertility treatment related complications such as premature menopause. Ongoing collaborations with basic and translational colleagues in the Departments of Biology and Physiology at UTSA broaden our group’s field of investigation. Our current consortium-based cancer control study looking at fertility preservation in female patients undergoing anticancer treatment hopes to provide appropriate and affordable options for children undergoing treatment. As the former Medical Director for the South Texas Pediatric Blood and Cancer Center, I have overseen the transition and expansion of our division’s programs with our new partners at University Health Systems, a public hospital environment encompassing a nationally recognized teaching hospital and network of outpatient healthcare centers. Locally, I have also been involved in projects looking at: 1) identifying factors impacting on the outcome of patients, in particular ALL patients on active treatment; 2) pharmacogenomics modifiers of cancer therapy; and 3) developing a pediatric Phase I core group as well as a survivorship center in association with the MD Anderson/Mays Cancer Center at UT Health San Antonio. In 2018, I transitioned from this position to directing the UT Health Physicians Practice activities for the Department of Pediatrics working to expand the clinical footprint of our pediatric programs within south Texas.
- 2021 - MBA - Business Administration - University of Texas at San Antonio Carlos Alvarez College of Business
- 2003 - Clinical Fellowship - Pediatric Hematology/Oncology - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- 1999 - Residency - Pediatrics - University of Florida College of Medicine Health Science Center
- 1996 - MD - Medicine - St. George's University, School of Medicine
- 1990 - BA - Natural Science - University of Pennsylvania
- 2/2022 - Interim Chief Medical Officer for Ambulatory Services - UT Health Physicians
- 12/2018 - Medical Director - Pediatrics - UT Health San Antonio Physicians, Pediatrics, San Antonio
- 1/2018 - Associate Chair for Outreach - UT Health San Antonio Lozano-Long School of Medicine, Pediatrics, San Antonio
- 9/2017 - Professor/Clinical non-Tenured - UT Health San Antonio Lozano-Long School of Medicine, Pediatrics, San Antonio
- 11/2014 - Children's Oncology Group Responsible Investigator - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 7/2014 - Medical Director - University Hospital South Texas Pediatric Blood and Cancer Center
- 8/2012 - Children`s Cancer Research Institute Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology - UT Health San Antonio Lozano-Long School of Medicine, Pediatrics, San Antonio
- 2/2011 - Medical Director - Howard A Britton Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital
- 4/2007 - FAPTP Pediatric Cancer Center Director - Nemours Children's Clinic/Sacred Heart Hospital, Florida
- 4/2007 - Principle Investigator - Children's Oncology Group, Site FL105
- 6/2003 - Chief Fellow, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology - UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center of Dallas
- 6/2000 - Chief Resident, Pediatrics - University of Florida/Wolfson Children's Hospital
Instruction & Training
- 9/2018 - Present, Individual Instruction, UT Health Long School of Medicine
- 8/2018 - Present, Individual Instruction, UT Health San Antonio
- 8/2016 - Present, Individual Instruction, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio School of Medicine
- 5/2013 - Present, Individual Instruction, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio School of Medicine
- 10/2012 - Present, Individual Instruction, UTHSCSA
- 9/2011 - Present, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellow Lectures, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2/2011 - Present, Rotation Student Supervision, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2/2011 - Present, Post-Doctoral Student Supervision, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2/2011 - Present, Post Graduate Rotation Supervision, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
Research & Grants
Clinical Trials, Hematologic Malignancies, Pediatric Cancer
Population Science and Prevention Program
Celgene Cancer Care Links - "Development and Evaluation of a National Protocol to Treat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in Vietnam" Role: Principal Investigator Total Costs: $101,940.00
University Health Systems Global Health Grant Role: Co-Investigator Total Costs: $150,000.00
Course Director Annual Teaching Conference - Pediatrics for the Practitioner - Annual conference sponsored by UT Health San Antonio providing educational didactic and hands-on workshops in for pediatric providers.
Associate Chair - Outreach - Tasked to enhance the clinical, research and academic footprint of the UT Health Department of Pediatrics.
Member - PTAC Commitee
Member - Global Health Subcommitee
Member - Data Safety Monitoring Board - Clinical review committee within the Mays Cancer Center (NCI-desiganted cancer center).
Chair - Campus Internationalization Commitee - Advisory role to the President and Vice President for Academic, Faculty, and Student Affairs.
Director - SEAMEE Global Health Activities - The Southeast Asian Medical Education Exchange Program has developed UME and research exchanges.
NCI Global Cancer Research Day Committee - Planning committee member and active participant for Global Cancer Research Day sponsored by National Cancer Institute‘s (NCI‘s) Center for Global Health.
Responsible Investigator - Children's Oncology Group UT Health site
Medical Advisor to Central and South Texas Make-A-Wish Foundation Chapter - Tens of thousands of volunteers, donors and supporters advance the Make-A-Wish® vision to grant the wish of every child diagnosed with a critical illness.
Medical Director - Kids With Cancer Foundation of Vietnam - Reaching toward a bold mission to improved the survival rates for childhood cancer in Vietnam from 5% to 50%.
Director - UTHSCSA SEA PHO Program - Working in collaboration with UCSF, St Judes, and KWCF, this international outreach program continues to enhance the research and academic activities in the ASEAN region.
Director - UHS/UT Global Health Project includes a large multidisciplinary group of educators, trainees, and students embarked on a Global Health program working within Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam.
Book Chapter. Assanasen C. Complement Dysregulation Syndromes in Children and Adolescents In: Frei-Jones M, Kamat D. Benign Hematological Disorders in Children. Springer Nature; 2020.
Editorial. Assanasen C. Associations between maternal factors during pregnancy and risk of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Plausibility Rules Pediatric Blood and Cancer 2015 Mar
Mohd, MY, Blair, S, Nah, S, Affrin, H, Assanasen C, Soh, S, Jacobson, A, Lam, C, Loh, A. Pediatric Solid Tumor Care and Multidisciplinary Tumor Boards in Low- and Middle-Income Countries in Southeast Asia Journal of Clinical Oncology/ Global Oncology 2020 Sep
Mullikin D, Ranch D, Khalfe Y, Lucari B, Zobeck M, Assanasen C, Gramatges M, Scheurer M, Schafer E. Hispanic Ethnicity is Associated with Prolonged Clearance of High Dose Methotrexate and Severe Nephrotoxicity in Children and Adolescents with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Leukemia and Lymphoma 2020
Meyer, M, Grimes M, Becker, E, Browning, J, Assanasen C, Libow, L, DeNapoli,T. Systemic Juvenile Xanthogranuloma:A Case Report and Brief Review. Clin Exp Derm 2018 Feb
Grimes A, Mirkeshti, N, Chatterjee B, Tomlinson G, Assanasen C. Paraneoplastic Galactorrhea in Childhood T-ALL: An Evaluation of Tumor derived Prolactin J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2017 Jan;39(1):e18-e20.
Campbell JE, Assanasen C, Robinson RD, Knudtson JF. Fertility Preservation Counseling for Pediatric and Adolescent Cancer Patients. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 2016 Mar;5(1):58-63.
Ranch D, Crowther BR, Arar MY, Assanasen C. Prophylactic eculizumab for kidney transplantation in a child with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome due to complement factor H mutation. Pediatric Transplantation 2014 Sep;18(6)
Durham SH, Lee A, Assanasen C. Burkholderia cepacia Septicemia in a Pediatric Oncology Patient: A Pharmacotherapy Challenge Ann Pharmacother 2012 Jun;46(6):e16
Lee A, Henry DW, Ng JS, Parsons K, Poon BB, Schwartz J, Smith T, Assanasen C. Ifosfamide Neurotoxicity in Pediatric Patients: A Multi-Institutional Case Series Report Journal of Hematology Oncology Pharmacy 2011Sep;1(3):12-17.
Amin R, Bohnert A, Holmes L, Rajasekaran A, Assanasen C. Response to "Childhood clustering in Florida: weighing the evidence". Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Jul;54(7):1053-1053.
Amin R, Bohnert A, Holmes L, Rajasekaran A, Assanasen C. Epidemiologic mapping of Florida childhood cancer clusters (Cover Page) Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Apr;54(4):511-518.
Kreiger PA, Judkins AR, Russo PA, Biegel JA, Lestini BJ, Assanasen C, Pawel BR. Loss of INI1 expression defines a unique subset of pediatric undifferentiated soft tissue sarcomas. Mod Pathol 2009 Jan;22(1):142-150.
Fine RL, Shah SS, Moulton TA, Yu IR, Fogelman DR, Richardson M, Burris HA, Samuels BL, Assanasen C, Gorroochurn P, Hibshoosh H, Orjuela M, Garvin J, Goldman FD, Dubovsky D, Walterhouse D, Halligan G. Androgen and c-Kit receptors in desmoplastic small round cell tumors resistant to chemotherapy: novel targets for therapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2007 Mar;59(4):429-437.
Assanasen C, Mineo C, Seetharam D, Yuhanna IS, Marcel YL, Connelly MA, Williams DL, de la Llera-Moya M, Shaul PW, Silver DL. Cholesterol binding, efflux, and a PDZ-interacting domain of scavenger receptor-BI mediate HDL initiated signaling. J Clin Invest 2005 Apr;115(4):969-977.
Assanasen C, Quinton RA, Buchanan GR. Acute myocardial infarction in sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2003 Dec;25(12):978-981.
Complement Dysfunction - Specific scope related to complement dysregulation related diseases such as aHUS, PNH and the use of the complement (C5) inhibitors.
Pediatric Hematology - Expertise general benign hematologic disorders with emphasis on complement dysregulation, coagulopathies, marrow failure syndromes, womens hematologic disorders, and sickle cell disease.
Pediatric Oncology - Cancer center director and prior COG PI with research and clinical activity in the fields of cancer epidemiology, supportive care, oncofertility, therapeutic strategies, international health,and late effects. Currently, Responsible investigator for COG.
- American Board of Pediatrics/Hematology-Oncology