Kyungeh An, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
Director of PhD Program
As a dedicated educator and an accomplished researcher for more than two decades, I have offered my values and expertise to academic programs and scientific societies to advance Nursing Science and improve people's lives through education, scholarship, and leadership.
My program of research focuses on the prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in vulnerable populations. With the overarching goals of advancing science, I have progressively expanded my research over two decades. Early studies focused on understanding the psycho-socio-behavioral factors that interplay in ideology and progression of CVD. I learned that psychosocial and environmental factors impact people's health. Further, the impact is more significant in vulnerable populations. This relationship's mechanisms became clearer by measuring the salivary concentration of the endothelial inflammatory cytokines and atherogenic proteins among hurricane survivors exposed to chronic stress.
Subsequent studies found that physical activity can modify the disruptive relationship between stress and cardiometabolic health. As an interdisciplinary team consisted of cardiologists, oncologists, behavioral psychologists, statisticians, and data-specialists, we have developed an intervention to address CVD mortality in cancer survivors with specific attention to underserved women cancer survivors. Our work will inform clinicians and provided them with tools to evaluate cardiometabolic risks and practice preventive interventions for their patients.
- 1999 - Doctor of Philosophy - Adult Health - Ohio State University
- 1988 - Masters of Science - Adult Health - Seoul National University
- 1985 - Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Nursing - Seoul National University
Licensure and Certifications
- Registered Nurse
- Auricular Acupuncturist
Honor and Awards
- 2022 - Recognition for Service, Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2021 - Leadership Academy of the Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2019 - Fellow of American Heart Association
- 2020 - Professor - UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2017 - Associate professor tenured - Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Nursing/Graduate School
- 2008 - Associate Professor - University of Texas Medical Branch, Graduate School of Biomedical Science
- 2007 - Associate Professor - University of Texas Medical Branch
- 2005 - Assistant Research Professor - Graduate School of East West Medicine Kyung Hee University, Acupuncture and Meridian Science Seoul, Korea
Instruction & Training
- 2022, NURS 7305: DNP Seminar, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2022, NURS 6318: Grantsmanship Practicum, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2022, NURS 7303: Science of Knowledge Translation and Implementation I, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2021, NURS 7303: Science of Knowledge Translation and Implementation I, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2020, NURS 7303: Science of Knowledge Translation and Implementation I, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2020, NURS 7325 Philosophy of Nursing Science, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
- 2020, NURS 6318 Grantsmanship Practicum, UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing
Research & Grants
Grants and Research Opportunities
- 2022-2025 Funder: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Title: Community-engaged research: improve the affordability of care for chronic kidney disease. Dollars: up to $1.3 M. Role Co-I.
- 2022-2025 Funder: Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT). Title: Mitigating cancer treatment-associated cardiotoxicity and optimizing health outcomes in cancer survivors. Dollars: $1M. Role PI.
- 2022-2027 Funder: HERSA. Title: Nurse education, practice, quality, and retention. Dollars: $10M, Role Co-I.
- 2022-2023 Funder: Thrive Well Foundation Research Grant. Title: Interdependence of Cancer Survivor-Caregiver Dyad’s Engagement in Health Behavior. Doollars: $25,000. Role PI .
- 2022-2025 Funder: Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas Grant # RFA P-21.2. Evidence-Based Cancer Prevention Services p.20/42. Dollars: 1,000,000. Title: E-SISTA (Empowering Sisters in Survivorship with Technology-Assisted Interventions). Role: PI
- 2022-2025 Funder: NHLBI Clinical Trial Pilot Studies (R34 Clinical Trial Optional) PAR-21-079. Dollars: 450,000. Title: Micro-Randomization and Optimization of Cardiovascualr Risk Reduction for Cancer Survivors. Role: PI
- 2021-2024 Funder: Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas Grant # RFA R-22.1-IIRA. Individual Investigator Research Awards. Dollars: 450,000. Title: Technology-supported Just-In-Time-Adaptive Intervention for Cancer Survivors in Texas (JITAI-Texas). Role: PI
Submitted and Not Funded or Unfunded Research/Projects
- 2022-2025 R01 Title: Developing Hispanic-Serving Institutions Program, Dollars: $3M, Role Co-I
- 2022-2025 Funder: Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT). Title: e-SISTA (Empowering Sisters in Survivorship using Technology for Active-life). Dollars: $1M.Role PI
- 09/2019 Massey Cancer Center-Pauley Heart Jointed Pilot - Grant
- 08/2019 Masse Cancer Center Tina Bachas Nursing Research - Award
- 05/2019 IGP School of Nursing Grant, PI-unfunded
- 02/2018 Massey Cancer Center Pilot grant, PI—unfunded
- 06/2017 R15, PI- unfunded
- 06/2016 R15, Subcontract- unfunded
- 2019-2020 Funder: VCU. $27400. Title: Course redesign. Role: Co-PI (with Dr. Jo Robins)
- 2016-2017 Funder: JPB Research Award, Daisy Foundation. Title: Cardiovascular risk in cancer survivors. Role: Principal Investigator $5,000
- 2015-Summer Virginia Commonwealth University. Title: Honors Summer Undergraduate Research Program, $500. Role: Mentor support
- 2013 - Present, Chanam Shin, at Arizona State University-moved institution
- 2013 - Present, Kyeungmi Oh, George Mason University-tenured
- 2011 - Present, Good Morning Richmond: Faith-Based Empowerment for Mind, Body, Spirit for Asian-American Immigrants using biweekly media-based health education
- 2013 - 2019, Mikyoung Lee, Texas Women’s University-tenured
- 2016 - 2017, Milken Institute School of Public Health Practicum, George Town University, School of Public Health- Site Preceptor in the SPHHS MPH Practicum (200 hours), Student: Meagan Sok, major in Health Policy
- 2021 - Present, Southern Nursing Research Society, Chair: Diversity Equity Inclusiveness Task Force
- 2019 - Present, American Heart Association, Abstract Reviewer
- 2017 - Present, Society of Behavioral Medicine, Abstract Reviewer
- 2016 - Present, Asian Journal of Nursing, Senior Editorial Board
Service to the Profession
- 2020 - present, Lead Writing group Society of Behavioral Medicine, Physical Activity SIG.
- 2019 - present, Grant Review for pre-doctoral & post-doctoral research grants American Heart Association
- 2017 - present, Mentor for Junior faculty Society of Behavioral Medicine, Physical Activity SIG
- 2016 - present, Council of Advancement in Nursing Grant Reviewer (elected) Southern Nursing Research Society
Professional Affiliations (memberships)
- 2007 Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2001 Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2018 - Organizer for school, Donor Richmond Heart Walk
- 2017 - Walk for cancer survivors and supporters RAMble Walk
- 2012 - Participant Good Morning Richmond: Awareness of heart disease and stroke for 1st generation Immigrant from Asia
- An, K. & Ahn, H (2022). A journey to reach diversity, equity, and inclusiveness within the SNRS. Editorial. Research in Nursing and Health, In print.
- An, K., Oh, K, Lee, M, Shin, C. (Under Revision). Use of Internet and health behaviors among cancer survivors. Journal of Community Health.
- Oh, K. M., An, K. Lee, M. & Shin, C. (Under Review) Disparities in Colorectal Cancer
- Screening Rates among Asian Americans and Non-Hispanic Whites: Roles of Health Communication via Electronic Communication Technology. Journal of Community Health.
- Shin, C, Oh, K., An, K (Under review). Physical Activity for Middle-Age Women Using Fitbit, Clinical Nursing Research.
- Ahn, H., Jackson, N., An, K., Fillingim, R.B., Miao, H., Lee, M., Ko, J., Galle, K., & Lee, M.A. (2020). Relationship between acculturative stress and pain catastrophizing in Korean Americans. J Immigr Minor Health. 2020 Sep 11. doi: 10.1007/s10903-020-01083-6. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32915374.
- Ahn, H.B., Jula, M., Chung, J.M., Miao, H., Zhong, C., Kim, M., An, K., Lyon, D., Fillingim, R. (2019). The Relationship between Beta-Endorphin and Experimental Pain Sensitivity in Older Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis. Biological Research for Nursing. Accepted 12-6-2018.
- Ghadban, R., Haddad, L., Thacker, R.L. 2nd, An, K., Balster, R.L., and Salyer, J. (2019). Smoking behaviors in Arab Americans: Acculturation and health beliefs. J Transcult Nurs 30 (2): 115-123. doi: 10.1177/1043659618783235.
- American Heart Association News Brief. Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. Stroke Risk among Post-menopausal Breast-Cancer Survivors. https://newsroom.heart.org/news/stroke-risk-factors-increase-among-breast-cancer-survivors?preview=0e29
- Daisy Foundation. https://www.daisyfoundation.org/faculty-awards/honorees/kyungeh-an
- 5 Nursing Research Projects Exemplify a Greater Goal https://resources.nurse.com/daisy-recognition-5-nursing-research-projects
- An, K., Starkweather, A., Sturgill, J., Salyer, J., and Sterling, RK. (2019). Association of CTRP13 with liver enzymes and cognitive symptoms in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Nursing Research: Jan/Feb 68 (1), 29-38. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0000000000000319.
- Shin, C-N, Keller, C., Sim, J., An, K. (2018). Cardiovascular Disease in Korean Americans: A systematic review. The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 33 (1), 82-93.
- Lee, M., Shin, CN, An, K. (2018). The Trustworthiness, Readability, and Suitability of Web-based Information for Stroke Prevention and Self-Management. Interactive Journal of Medical Research. 2018 Jul 20;7(2):e10440. doi: 10.2196/10440.
- Shin, C.N., Todd, M., An, K, Kim, W.S. (2017). Unidimensional and Bidimensional Approaches to Measuring Acculturation. Journal of Nursing Measurement. 25 (2), 370-384. https://doi.org/10.1891/1061-37220.127.116.110
- 2019, Obesity, Cancer, and Cardiovascular Diseases. East-Carolina University, School of Nursing, Distinguished Scholar Lectureship.
- 2018, Addressing cardiometabolic risks among cancer survivors. School of Nursing Research Council.
- 2017, Biobehavioral Research in Rehabilitation Nursing. Chinese National Congress of Rehabilitation and Nursing, Nanning Conference Center, Nanning China.
- 2017, Biobehavioral Research and Translational Science. Invited speech at the Youjiang Medical University of Nationalities Hospital. Baise, China.
- 2017, Biobehavioral Research. Invited speech and Workshop at Wuhan University School of Rehabilitation and Nursing. Wuhan, China.
- 2017, Evidence Based Practice in Diverse Environment. Invited Speech and Workshop at Wuhan University School of Rehabilitation and Nursing. Wuhan, China.
- 2021, The Brain Korea 21 Lectureship: Post-doctoral Training in Nursing Science. Seoul National University College of Nursing, Seoul, Korea. January 12, 2021 (Virtual lecture).
- 2020, Life Science Center Lectureship: Future of Health Care and Nursing from Global Perspectives, Andong National University, Andong, Korea, Oct. 22, 2020 (Virtual lecture).
- 2020, Nursing Pinning Ceremony Lectureship: Future of Health Care and Nursing from Global Perspectives. Chungwoon University, College of Health Welfare & Nursing, Department of Nursing. Korea, Nov 13th, 2020 (Virtual lecture).
- 2019, Early assessment of CVD risks among breast cancer survivors. Massy Cancer Center. Richmond VA, May 2019.
- 2019, Awareness of Cardiovascular Risk and Practice of Health Behaviors among Cancer Survivors. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Philadelphia, PA, Nov.16-18 2019.
- 2019, Determinants of Cardiovascular Health Among Middle-age and Older Adults Ethnic Groups. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Philadelphia, PA, Nov.16-18 2019.
- 2019, Stroke Risk among Post-menopausal Breast-Cancer Survivors. International Stroke Society. Honolulu, HI, Feb 6-8, 2019.
- 2019, Precision in Weight Control Following Cancer treatment: Is There a Golden Time? Southern Nursing Research Society, February 27-March 1 2019.
- 2018, Cardiovascular and Metabolic Risk Profile of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Patients and Liver Transplant Recipients. American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions, Chicago Il, November 9-12 2018.
- 2018, Weight Changes and Mortality Among Cancer Survivors. State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Precision Health, The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science. Washington D.C., September 13-15, 2018.
- 2018, Suitability and contents coverage of stroke-related websites for stroke management. International Stroke Society. Los Angeles, CA, Jan 24-26, 2018.
- 2017, Cardiovascular risk among breast cancer and colorectal cancer survivors. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim CA, Nov. 11-15.
- 2017, Utilization of salivary biomarkers to enhance biobehavioral research. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Pre-conference workshop, Understanding the bio in biobehavioral research. Dallas TX, February 22-25.
- 2017, Lessons learned from strict eligibility criteria. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Symposium, Lemons into Lemonade, Dallas TX, February 22-25.
- 2017, Assessment of Autonomic Nervous System Function in Patients with Chronic Health Conditions. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Dallas TX, February 22-25 (podium presentation).
- 2017, The Impact of Autonomic Dysfunction on Liver-Related Symptoms in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Their Relationship to Systemic Inflammation and Insulin Resistance. International Congress of Nursing. Barcelona, Spain, May 27-June 1(podium presentation).
- 2018, Exploring the effects of sexual orientation on the cardiovascular risk and health behaviors in emerging adulthood. Annual Meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, New Orleans AL, April 10-14, 2018. (poster presenter)
- 2018, Weight changes among breast cancer and colorectal cancer survivors: 10 year follow up. Inaugural Obesity and Cancer Summit, March 15, 2018, Richmond VA. (poster presenter)
- 2017, Cardiometabolic risk in liver transplant survivors. American Heart Association, EPI-life style conference Hilton, Portland OR, March 6-10 (poster presentation).
- 2017, Break the myth and revisit non-obese Asian American’s cardiometabolic risk. American Heart Association, EPI-life style conference Hilton, Portland OR, March 6-10 (poster presentation).
- 2016, Exploring sexual orientation and cardiovascular disease risk in women. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2016, New Orleans LA. November 12-16 (poster presentation).
- 2016, The Impact of Autonomic Dysfunction on Liver-Related Symptoms in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Their Relationship to Systemic Inflammation and Insulin Resistance. Digestive Disease Week 2017, May 6-9, Chicago, IL. (poster)
- 2016, Cardiovascular Risk and Mortality Increase with Progression of Chronic Liver Disease. American Heart Association. EPI/Lifestyle 2016. Phoenix, AZ, March 1-4 (poster presentation).
- 2016, Stroke Knowledge and Prehospital Delay in Elderly Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients. International Stroke Conference 2016, Los Angeles, California Feb 16-19 (poster presentation).
- 2016, EMS Use after Acute Ischemic Stroke In Korean Population: Familyism May Not Help. International Stroke Conference 2016, Los Angeles, California Feb 16-19 (poster presentation).
Peer-reviewed Articles (*indicates data-based)
Peer Reviewed Podium Presentations
Peer Reviewed Poster Presentations